Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default LTCF question for out of state resident.

I'm a New Jersey resident who goes to college in Philadelphia.(I don't live in student housing or on campus, I'm in a town house a few miles away) In march I'll be turning 21 and I want to be able to carry here in PA. What is the best method for me to be able to carry in the state of PA? As I understand it, I cannot simply apply for a LTCF because I am an out of state resident who does not possess a concealed carry permit in my home state. I've heard that I can possibly obtain a Florida or Utah permit that would be valid in the state of PA, but I am really not all that knowledgeable in the process and I want to make sure that I do everything within the confines of the law. So basically, What's my best bet? Is it possible to get the ball rolling before I turn 21 as I anticipate the process being slightly lengthy.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: LTCF question for out of state resident.

I don't have an answer for that one. But I would check the stickys and the law section of the forum. I am sure some members with the knowledge will answer. Good Luck !!

Quote Originally Posted by Ashesofthewake View Post
    I'm a New Jersey resident who goes to college in Philadelphia.(I don't live in student housing or on campus, I'm in a town house a few miles away) In march I'll be turning 21 and I want to be able to carry here in PA. What is the best method for me to be able to carry in the state of PA? As I understand it, I cannot simply apply for a LTCF because I am an out of state resident who does not possess a concealed carry permit in my home state. I've heard that I can possibly obtain a Florida or Utah permit that would be valid in the state of PA, but I am really not all that knowledgeable in the process and I want to make sure that I do everything within the confines of the law. So basically, What's my best bet? Is it possible to get the ball rolling before I turn 21 as I anticipate the process being slightly lengthy.
    Florida permit info. Must have some type of training, like NRA, hunter safety, military, etc.

Utah permit info. You need to have passed a handgun class taught by a UT certified instructor...some of which belong to this forum.

PA does recognize both state's gun permits.
    Last edited by HiredGoon; October 5th, 2009 at 10:00 PM.

I Attended a Florida and/or Virginia class (half day Saturday) offered by Personal Defense Solutions. They offer it at several ranges around Philly. Includes photos, fingerprints, and an NRA training certificate that says you can safely handle a gun. They also notarize the application, so the package is ready to drop in the mail. There are probably others as well. I suspect that you won't be able to submit it until you turn 21. My Florida license took just over 90 days. It's a little tougher to find Utah classes, since it requires a Utah certified instructor -- but they are around.

(Philadelphia County)

Thanks guys, I guess I will see about registering for a class closer to my birthday.

http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-car...r-soul-nj.html

That's my thread friend, I'm from Northern Jersey with a similar dilemma. 3 pages of info, doesn't look good though, from what I've been reading its illegal for us to cross the state line with a gun.

You can get UT or FL and be covered in PA, your issues, are with PRNJ.....

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ashesofthewake View Post
    A few miles away...but still in PA? Since you're living in the townhouse in PA...why not exchange your NJ drivers license for a PA drivers license. THen come March apply for a PA LTCF as a PA resident.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by NJEMTGUY3007 View Post
    http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-car...r-soul-nj.html

That's my thread friend, I'm from Northern Jersey with a similar dilemma. 3 pages of info, doesn't look good though, from what I've been reading its illegal for us to cross the state line with a gun.
    Well I rent a row-house in Philadelphia, so I keep my guns there most of the time. The only time the guns ever cross state lines is when I go between home in NJ and home in PA. I'm not looking to carry in to NJ obviously, and I do not regularly cross the state lines except for the above expressed purpose. I should be fine with getting my guns state to state as I have a lawful purpose each time I do it and do not make any stops on the relatively short drive. I'm really just worried about being allowed to carry in PA not so much getting them back and forth. If I were to travel when I own a handgun and have a permit ,I would either carry to the state line and lock my gun up according to NJ law or just not carry to begin with while I head to NJ. I think I'm good there.

Thanks for the link though, there is some good information in your thread. I appreciate it.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    A few miles away...but still in PA? Since you're living in the townhouse in PA...why not exchange your NJ drivers license for a PA drivers license. THen come March apply for a PA LTCF as a PA resident.
    Yes, I have a Philadelphia address and all the necessities to prove residence here. I do not however plan on living in Pennsylvania forever (well depends where a biology major can get a job) and I would rather not go through the trouble of changing my license, bank accounts, mailing address, taxes, NJ FID card etc etc only to have to do it all over again in a few years. I guess you could call that laziness on my part, but as I spent most of the year here in PA I feel that I can put up with NJ's ridiculous laws for the short amount of time I spend there. Atleast untill I graduate school and find myself In a more permanent housing situation if that answers your question. I have considered it and thanks for the suggestion, but I think I'll tough out my official NJ residence for now.