Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: 30 Cal pistol

(Bucks County)

Default 30 Cal pistol

Why aren't the 30 Carbine pistols more popular?

Comparable velocities to 357 and 10mm but with a smaller bullet.

What is the down side to this little blaster?

Did the 327 magnum just reinvent the wheel?
    "Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American" Pennsylvania Gazette, February 20, 1788
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

(York County)

Default Re: 30 Cal pistol

Quote Originally Posted by Jim1911 View Post
    Comparable velocities to 357 and 10mm but with a smaller bullet.
    I think you just answered your own question.

(Monroe County)

1- grip size. the automag iii is a very long grip.
    2- 30 carbine out of a pistol has lower velocity than rifle, existing rounds have as good or better ballistics.
    3- Sound and flash. Have you ever fired one of these bastards? I own one, its deafening and blinding.

I found both triggers to be terrible to me so the triggers are on a scale to me.. The Glock was a crisper suck and the XD was a more mushy suck. They are in the same family, SR9 (heavy suck), Glock (crisp heavy suck), XD( lighter mushy suck), M&P(heavy mushy suck).

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by thelemite View Post
    3- Sound and flash. Have you ever fired one of these bastards? I own one, its deafening and blinding.

No I have never fired one. I didn't know there was such a beast until today. But, I am interested in the Blackhawk version enough to check around to see what other peoples impressions are.

I checked the reloading data for 30 Carbine pistols and Hodgdon wants slow powders for a pistol. Too bad it never became more popular. I would bet that with a little faster powder flash and bang would be less of a problem.
    "Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American" Pennsylvania Gazette, February 20, 1788
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

I had one - a Ruger Blackhawk in 30 carbine. It was not nicknamed "Eargeschplitten Loudenboomer" for no small cause.

It was a treat to fire it around twilight, with military ammo. The fireball was as big as a Subaru, but infinitlely more impresive.

I traded it off at Scotty Taylor's - maybe he still has it if you are interested.

The fun part was just that - fun. It was accurate enough, and just what you would expect out of a single action revolver, but the real issue was that it used a tapered cartridge, and the case would set back and expand just enough in recoil to drag significantly when you attempted to cock it. One case was easy enough to overcome, two was still manageable, but by the time you had four or five cases dragging on the recoil shield, the drag made it very hard to cock the hammer for the sixth shot.

Then extraction - remember, you had to rotate that cylinder manualy to extract one-at-a-time. Dragtime, again.

That kinda took the fun out of it for me.

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

(Delaware County)

I have a Blackhawk that was converted to transfer bar. Eats the military grade ammo OK. Pritzi Partisan gave me about 50% light hits and no bang. Wolf worked OK. Accuracy good, tack driver out to 25 yards. Much bang and flash. Was especially amusing at indoor range when guys a few lanes down were popping shotgun slugs making everyone jump with each shot. I fanned a couple of rounds and made THEM jump. A good time was had by all.
    Know your audience. Don't try to sell a Prius at a Monster Truck Rally.

I went shooting with my uncle and I fired one of these. Pure Sweetness. With no hearing protection, either. Pounded my eardrums and the muzzleblast had a 5 inch diameter!

(Delaware County)

I have a Blackhawk and a Taurus S30. Both are fun to shoot. I don't find the blast too excessive and it's no louder than a .30 Mauser. I do find the Blackhawk difficult to extract. So much that I usually have to remove the cylinder to get out the empties.

The Taurus has a 10" barrel, and that can get heavy holding after a while.

No hearing protection, might as well start practicing saying HUH. Seriously we started shooting before hearing protection was common and now can not hear most of what our grand children say.
    Please do not copy an old fool.
    Courage is being scared to death--but saddling up any way. John Wayne

(Jefferson County)

As was pointed out before, the blast is killer. Its a carbine/rifle cartridge, with rifle powders. It'd be liken to shooting a 30-30 from a handgun.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!