Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Boar hunting with knife

Never done it before, but would like to. Anybody got any tips on how to get started? Anybody who do this wanna take me along on a hunt sometime or does anybody here know anyone who organizes such hunting trips?
    "When law becomes despotic, morals are relaxed, and vice versa."-- Honore de Balzac, The Wild Ass's Skin...huh, huh..Balzac...Wild Ass...huh, huh

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Boar hunting with knife

I knew a few folks back home in TX who did this. I had a trip planned right before I lost my job and wound up in PA, so I can't give you first hand experience in it.

They would hunt for Javalina's with dogs - specifically well trained Catahoulas. The dogs did most of the work and if they were not trained well enough chances were the dog could get fatally injured because the Javalinas tusks are sharp and can do some damage. Once the dogs cornered and pinned the hog, the hunter would basically mount the back of the javalina and cut it's throat.

If you are just going after basic feral pigs, then the aforementioned may not be needed, and I don't know anything about hog hunting outside TX. However if you find anything within a statewide drive let me know I would be interesting on picking up where I left off a few years ago.

(Lackawanna County)

I saw Rambo do it in First Blood. Also saw Mac from Predator do that too. Sorry, its just what I envisioned when I saw the post.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by NP1724 View Post
    I knew a few folks back home in TX who did this. I had a trip planned right before I lost my job and wound up in PA, so I can't give you first hand experience in it.

They would hunt for Javalina's with dogs - specifically well trained Catahoulas. The dogs did most of the work and if they were not trained well enough chances were the dog could get fatally injured because the Javalinas tusks are sharp and can do some damage. Once the dogs cornered and pinned the hog, the hunter would basically mount the back of the javalina and cut it's throat.

If you are just going after basic feral pigs, then the aforementioned may not be needed, and I don't know anything about hog hunting outside TX. However if you find anything within a statewide drive let me know I would be interesting on picking up where I left off a few years ago.
    Yeah, this is actually the first thing I found when using "The Google" for it:

http://affordablehoghunts.com/

It's cheap and these guys look like they know what they're doing, but I really don't want to take a trip all the way to Texas to do it, especially when I already have to budget time and money for other trips I'm planning on taking.
    "When law becomes despotic, morals are relaxed, and vice versa."-- Honore de Balzac, The Wild Ass's Skin...huh, huh..Balzac...Wild Ass...huh, huh

I like chipmunk hunting with a sledge hammer.....
    MMMMMMMM....munk pudding!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene V. Debs View Post
    Never done it before, but would like to. Anybody got any tips on how to get started? Anybody who do this wanna take me along on a hunt sometime or does anybody here know anyone who organizes such hunting trips?
    Back in the forests of Germany, one proved one's hunting prowess by using a hirschfanger to dispatch a boar already wounded with a single shot 'sau rifle' (a very short-barreled flintlock Jaeger rifle, with @ .80 caliber barrel).
    http://www.dorotheum.com/uploads/tx_..._57482_101.jpg

Going after a boar with just a knife? Good luck with that.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene V. Debs View Post
    I'm down for this, I have always wanted to.. I have a dog we can use too, I think he would be good at it..

Any ideas where and when?
    WAKE UP OR WACO!

(York County)

I think someone has been watching a little too mcuh of the show "Lost" lately. I give props to anyone who is willing to try it though.

(Chester County)

Watch your ball sack... It is not as easy as you might want to think and Boars can be very dangerous. They will ride their tusk up your leg and can cut your artery...

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Strapped View Post
    I'm down for this, I have always wanted to.. I have a dog we can use too, I think he would be good at it..

Any ideas where and when?
    If you think he would be, he's not. The folks I knew who did this raised these dogs to only hunt hogs. They were not family dogs and were not allowed near the family due to their demeanor. They typically lost a couple dogs a year no matter how well trained they were.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast