Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default CZ 75 P-07 Range Report

Yesterday I went to Cabelas in Hamburg and ended up leaving with a CZ 75 P-07. I originally went in looking at the Glocks or a Sig Sauer Pro, but the CZ caught my eye... and the price wasn't bad either. I ended up going with the CZ because I loved how it fit my hand. I don't believe that a gun should be chosen by how it fits one's hand alone.... but this one just felt good. It's my first CZ.

Out of the box:

Pros
    Sexy looking
    Fit my hand great
    Glock style sights (rear open-top box)
    16+1 capacity
    Pistol rail

Cons
    The paint job on the sights was a little sloppy
    Very minor superficial flaws in the plastic of the sights
    Plastic guide rod

Takedown wasn't too bad. It required no tools. The guide rod is a hollow plastic tube, which I don't like. The pistol comes with either a decocker mechanism or a safety. It came with the decocker mechanism on from the factory. The instruction manual gives instructions on how to switch them out.... but the instructions are junk. So I played around with it until I figured it out. Once I did, it really wasn't too hard to switch them out; it required no tools. Once I got the safety mechanism installed, I hated it. It is by far the flimsiest, hardest to reach, inconvenient safety I've ever run into on a pistol. It just really felt very cheap. I switched it back out with the decocker mechanism. So let me add a new con:

Con
    The safety mechanism!!!

At the range:

Pros
    No ammo hiccups of any kind
    Magazines load easily
    Nice DA trigger (compared to the standard heavy, sluggish DA triggers of most)

Cons
    Large muzzle blast

I took it out to the range with 200 rounds of 9mm Wolf ammo. It ate every round without so much as a hiccup. The accuracy was about average. It has a 3 3/4" barrel. At 7 yards, my best group was about 3-4" standing, unsupporting for the full 16 round magazine. If I dropped it down to 3 round groups, it tightened up significantly (of course, that is mostly due to operator error, I believe ) From 15 yards I had a 6 - 8" grouping from all 16 rounds; I didn't try to get a 3 round group. From 25 yards nearly all the rounds hit the paper (15 x 15").

It recoiled a lot for a 9mm (I think because it's fairly light). I didn't list that as a con because it wasn't bad recoil by any means and I kind of liked the added kick. I mostly shoot 45 ACP and 40 S&W, so the 9mm can sometimes feel a little pale in comparison. The muzzle blast was pretty large and as it was getting dark it was affecting my night vision a bit (not night vision devices... I wish, but my eyes ability to adapt to the darkness ). I'm not entirely sure it wasn't the ammo that was creating the muzzle blast as I have not shot Wolf in 9mm in quite some time. I generally shoot my reloads. I'll see how the muzzle blast is with the ammo I'm used to using next time I bring it out.

The DA trigger was lighter than most DA/SA pistols I've shot, which was a plus. The SA trigger was a little heavy, but not bad enough to list it as a con. I just prefer lighter triggers. After only 200 rounds I am very pleased with my purchase so far. I definitely recommend it as a purchase... as long as a manual safety isn't a necessety. But I wouldn't put it at the top of my list. Anyone else have any experience with them?
    Last edited by max384; September 30th, 2009 at 07:38 PM.
    loose≠lose; you're=you are; 'your' shows possession.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: CZ 75 P-07 Range Report

Can't speak for the P 07s but I've had my CZ 85 Combat for about six years and it's the gun that goes to the range with me every time.

This gun is scary accurate and it's SA trigger was great right out of the box.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad."
    Rafael Sabatini's "Scaramouche"

Nice report ill have to take a look at them.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by 1832 View Post
    Can't speak for the P 07s but I've had my CZ 85 Combat for about six years and it's the gun that goes to the range with me every time.

I read, after getting the gun, that CZ developed a new trigger system for the P-07. Maybe they moved in the wrong direction? Or just a difference in opinion on what makes a good trigger
    loose≠lose; you're=you are; 'your' shows possession.

I've got a 75B that I love. I tried a P-07 and it felt light, not bad light, just light. CZ makes some nice guns. Enjoy.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by max384 View Post
    I read, after getting the gun, that CZ developed a new trigger system for the P-07. Maybe they moved in the wrong direction? Or just a difference in opinion on what makes a good trigger
    I couldn't find any good photos of the hammer on the P-07, but on my CZ-85, I replaced the stock hammer & main spring and it dropped my trigger pull by 2lbs for SA and like 3-4 lbs for DA...it also smoothed about the trigger pull.

I added the competition hammer and a 13lb main spring.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Dauphin County)

i love my CZ 40-P.. i have the decocker and like it allot.. its just as safe as anything , just keep your finger off the trigger
    Tigers love pepper, they don't like cinnamon !

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by 1832 View Post

Do you have the original springs in there or have you swapped them out?

(Lancaster County)

I have a P-01 and a 75-b and now will not shoot any pistol that isn't made by CZ.

If the P-07 is anything like the two I have, (and it's based on them so it should be) it will take about 500 rounds to break in really well, and after about 1000 the trigger will have smoothed out considerably.

My understanding is that the trigger mechanism has been "simplified" making it more consistent. This makes sense to me, I've noticed occassionally that my P-01 will sometimes vary in SA as far as where trigger lets off. I don't understand why, but I also don't really care. After 4000+ rounds and not a single failure I'm not touching a damn thing!

I've been eyeing up the P-07 myself but I haven't given in yet. It's the same size as the P-01, isn't significantly lighter, and requires a different magazine that doesn't yet have a Mec-Gar knockoff. That being said, I'll convince myself to pick one up eventually. Sounds like a good reliable gun, and it also sounds like the CZ accuracy holds true with it as well.

Good luck with it, hope you like it more as it breaks in.

(Westmoreland County)

Just a FYI there were some of the first batches that had issues with magazines sticking and not dropping out. Apparently they made some corrections, but if you start to experience this contact CZ. They're aware of the problem and will make it right, at least that is what I've read in other reports.

I handled one and it seemed like the weight and size were going to be real nice for carrying. Just couldn't get myself to like it more than the P-01's. Glad to read a review on here about one though, nice buy!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast