Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Pike County)

Default Target shooting on state gameland?

Is it legit to shoot on state gameland off hunting season of course. I've got the state game lands sooooo close. As a NY resident with a vacation home in Pike can anybody tell me where I can shoot. I'm in Masthope. thanks Joe

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Target shooting on state gameland?

umm there is a State Range right on Rt 6 1 mile before you get into Hawley on the right side by the pond. its not that far of a drive from Masthope. i used to live in Greeley. its not that bad of a travel.
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

(Luzerne County)

Sec. 2507. Restrictions on shooting.

(a) General rule. - It is unlawful for any person during the open season for the taking of any big game other than turkey to:

(1) Shoot at any mark or target other than legal game or wildlife with a firearm of any kind or a bow and arrow.

(2) Discharge at any time any firearm or release an arrow at random in the general direction of any game or wildlife not plainly visible for the purpose of routing or frightening them.

(3) Discharge at any time any firearm or release an arrow at random or in any other manner contrary to this section.

(b) Exceptions. - This section shall not be construed to apply in any manner to:

(1) The discharge of any firearm for the sole purpose of signaling for aid or assistance while in distress.

(2) The use of rifle, pistol or archery ranges owned, leased or maintained by a State or Federal military or police organization or by any regularly organized rifle, pistol, shotgun or archery range, shooting association or club while shooting at a regularly established and properly safeguarded range or to any public shooting exhibition properly safeguarded and conducted under the direction of any organization for the promotion of marksmanship.

(3) The discharge of a muzzle-loading firearm at a proper target for the purpose of safe transportation of the muzzle-loaded firearm.

(4) Shooting at a properly constructed target or mark or a dead tree protected by a natural or artificial barrier so that the ball, bullet or arrow cannot travel more than 15 yards beyond the target aimed at, after making due allowance for deflection in any direction not to exceed an angle of 45 degrees. Target shooting shall only be lawful when it is done:

(i) Upon property owned by the shooter or by a guest of the property owner.

(ii) Within 200 yards of the camp or other headquarters where the person shooting is quartered or is an invited guest or visitor.

(c) Penalty. - A violation of this section is a summary offense of the fourth degree.

(Wayne County)

Why not just shoot at the public ranges as there are a couple nearby?

Visiting family by Lake Wallenpaupack this month, other than the range on route 6, any other public ranges to shoot at? Also any ranges near by that rent full auto?

I will be planning a trip to PA Game Commission Range (route 6), any advice to share for my first time there? What to bring, best time to go, anything that would make it go smooth 1st time through.

Thanks,

Hunter

(Pike County)

Basically,

1- BE SAFE..
    1A- DONT walk down range and leave firearms unattended... Have be told of some storys of things gone missing...Better safe than sorry.

2- READ and UNDERSTAND the rules, they are at every shooting position.. PAY attention to round counts.

3- Respect the equipment there. Some folks like to blast the crap out of everything and anything.

4- Clean up after yourself.. Put garbage in its place.

5- let others know when you are going , maybe others would meet up with ya and have some fun..

6- Have fun, be safe, And post some target results and pics..

Shot gun range is closed. ALL PGC ranges DO NOT ALLOW full autos , Just a heads up in case someone just so happens to walk on by.

Snert..