Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Safety courses

(Monroe County)

Default Safety courses

Hey guys just a quick question. I just went through the process to get my LTCF and my wife has taken an interest in handguns. I want to take her shooting with me and show her some basics but I was wondering if there are any local safety courses that don't cost an arm and a leg? I think it's something that I could use as well... can never be to safe. So if there is any let me know...thanks
    Miller & Conrad Construction (570)-730-6180

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Safety courses

I know sunset hill makes you do a little course if you want to shoot your own gun there, but I have never done it.
    I did go there for my 'first shots' with a handgun though (I think the instructor was "bill") and learned some good stuff.
    The best safety advice I've learned has been from this forum though (and my years and years doing competition .22 rifle in high school).

http://sunsethill.slvrcreek.com/home.htm
    *note, this place has its ups and downs though - if you see many cars with NY plates its a good idea to try another day

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwolf View Post
    Hey guys just a quick question. I just went through the process to get my LTCF and my wife has taken an interest in handguns. I want to take her shooting with me and show her some basics but I was wondering if there are any local safety courses that don't cost an arm and a leg? I think it's something that I could use as well... can never be to safe. So if there is any let me know...thanks
    i have seen instructors/range officers at pocono pistol club get real in depth explaining things to new shooters, all you have to do is ask.

(Monroe County)

yeah I saw that on their web site. They offer a course for first timers and they're not to expensive.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwolf View Post
    yeah I saw that on their web site. They offer a course for first timers and they're not to expensive.
    first timers HAVE to watch the safety vidoe etc, but if you're shooting and they just happen to be there watching you, lol, if you ask them for pointers they're more than happy to show you what experienced shooters they are and offers you some *expert* pointers.....

(Pike County)

Thumbs up Re: Safety courses

Hi Nightwolf,
    Info you may want to checkout. Here in Pike county we have a shooting club, Hemlockshooters. As part of our membership fees we include the NRA Basic Pistol Safety Course. We shoot roughly once a month as a group, we have meetings and we supply our members with safety courses as part of their annual membership dues. e-mail me at Hemlockshooters@aol.com and I'll supply you with our info. Hope to talk to you guys soon.
    Harry

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    first timers HAVE to watch the safety vidoe etc, but if you're shooting and they just happen to be there watching you, lol, if you ask them for pointers they're more than happy to show you what experienced shooters they are and offers you some *expert* pointers.....
    Yeah I've been through that. It's a pretty nice place. The people are quite friendly. The rates aren't to bad if you go alone but if I take my wife it could get pricey.

Harry...where is the club located in Pike County?

(Pike County)

hi nightwolf,
    Our meetings take place in members homes, usually somewhere in Hemlock Farms or Milford. We shoot at the SGL range on rt6 or Herberlings up in Prompton Pa. We have several members from Pine Ridge, which may be closer to you (carpool anyone). Also starting in Nov. as part of your annual membership we include the NRA Basic Pistol Course. E-mail me at Hemlockshooters@aol.com and I send you the rates for our membership levels. As i stated earlier our club is small (under 20 people) but we have several NRA Instructors, an FFL (& armorer for S&W, GLock and others) and will soon add a few certified reloaders & Range safety Officers. Our next group shoot at Herberlings will be on Oct. 17th (call for time & carpool info). Our next meeting is scheduled for Nov.15th and will include the first half of the Basic Pistol course for our members.
    Hope to hear from you soon,
    Harry (hgsw67)