Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thumbs up Springfield Armory service

I just wanted to post this for two reasons, one to see if this has happened to anybody else, and two as a thumbs up for the Service Deparment over at Springfield. I will be buying SA again in the near future due to this experience.

Over the weekend I was shooting through about 250 rounds with my subcompact XD9. After a brief examination I noticed that the guide rod had worked itself loose. So I put the pistol away.

Has this happened to anyone else? It appears that the guide rod itselt was either broken or came loose from the opposite ending that holds the recoil assembly together.

I emailed Springfield service on Sunday evening to describe the problem.
    They emailed back first thing Monday saying they wanted the serial number and my mailing address. I responded with the information and the service rep. responded to tell me that my new recoil assembly was already in the mail.

Thanks Springfield,
    Last edited by beerhunter; September 29th, 2009 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Mods. Please move to pistols catagory, what was I thinking???

Default Re: Springfield Armory service

In the past, they were a bit squeamish about just sending out parts, but they were always VERY friendly and answered all questions or were always willing to help. I've never had any malfunctions with my XD, but called them requesting extra parts way back in the day, and they were unwilling to sell or give any. I know this has changed as more and more aftermarket parts have become available for the XD.

I own an XD-45 tactical, so mine doesn't have the captive recoil spring design that your XD9 has. So I've never had this problem, but I can see how that recoil spring could have had some problems. Kind of a shame that it happened although now you can even replace the captive recoil springs with the free recoil spring and a different guide rod nowadays. I'm glad to hear that they handled it the way they did, sounds very prompt. Thanks for sharing your good experience with us.

P.S. I think you need to post stuff about your XD in the "pistols" thread. You might have posted it in the rifles section on accident.

Edit: I see that you already put in that it needs to be moved to the pistols, lol, good catch. It happens sometimes, no worries, they'll get it taken care of.

(Pike County)

FWIW, my EMP has run pretty darn good with the exception of about 15 FTF in the first 500 rounds and a bad magazine catch that scored the 3 original magazines (score marks running from the point of contact with the right lip leading edge on down to the lock slot on the right side of each magazine after probably only 5 insertions each and got progressively worse).

I used a Dremel to ‘ease’ the magazine catch where it contacts the magazine and goes into the slot and polished the magazines. Afterwards, the magazines went in smooth and crisp.

I called Springfield Customer Service and explained the problem; they replaced the magazine catch and all three magazines – free of charge. Their Customer Service is second to only S&W…

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid-a-hand on.
    I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. - John Wayne - The Shootist

Many of the truths we cling to... depend greatly on our own point of view. - Obi-Wan Kenobi

(Monroe County)

This is great to hear!! I put a down payment on a XDM 40 last week and was wondering how the service was.

Thanks for posting!

(Columbia County)

Springfield Armory customer service is excellent. I needed a left hand holster to mount in my car on the drivers side of the console by my knees. I called customer service and told them I needed a left hand holster and they took my serial number (to ensure I bought it new) and sent it out to me free of charge. No questions asked. I got it very quickly, three days later... even though I called near the end of the day. They were very polite and professional and a pleasure to deal with. I'll buy more SA because of that experience.

Quote Originally Posted by max384 View Post
    Springfield Armory customer service is excellent. I needed a left hand holster to mount in my car on the drivers side of the console by my knees. I called customer service and told them I needed a left hand holster and they took my serial number (to ensure I bought it new) and sent it out to me free of charge. No questions asked. I got it very quickly, three days later... even though I called near the end of the day. They were very polite and professional and a pleasure to deal with. I'll buy more SA because of that experience.
    This is what really stands out in my mind about Springfield. I did not buy the pistol new, I'm the second owner as far as I can tell and they apparently did not care. They ask for my serial number, probably saw I bought it used and they still came through for me.

Thanks again Springfield.

When the new assembly arrives, I will sit down with the failed parts and the new and determine where the issue was.
    I'll report back with more info. regarding the failure.