Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Why are firearm transfers so costly?

Hello All,

Just want to know why it is so costly to transfer a firearm to someone?

In this publication http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/PASL.pdf
    It states that a $2.00 fee is for the background check and a $3.00 fee is for the phone call.

Trying to save a dollar

Thanks,
    Rich

(Beaver County)

Default Re: Why are firearm transfers so costly?

Quote Originally Posted by Richie View Post
    Hello All,

It states that a $2.00 fee is for the background check and a $3.00 fee is for the phone call.

Trying to save a dollar

Thanks,
    Rich
    It's not. As you discovered, it costs only $5 to complete a transfer. The better question is, "why are FFLs so greedy?" The answer is, "because they have a monopoly on the service, and they can get away with it."

In other states (Texas), you can transfer firearms for as little as $6, or, if you're fortunate enough to find a FFL with a big heart, free.
    Last edited by kevindsingleton; September 29th, 2009 at 07:42 AM. Reason: Typo
    Kevin Singleton, Potawatomi - {ZRT - Sector 4}

(Monroe County)

I did a transfer at Walters in Weatherly, Pa. He charged 5 bucks and was super to deal with. That gesture went a long way in recommending him for firearm sales. He`s very reasonably priced in that too.
    I do feel the FFL`s time should be worth something though plus I wouldn`t expect the FFL to ignore shopping customers while he is doing just a transfer for me.

I don't buy guns anywhere that charge over $5. I find it disingenuous to charge $X for a gun and then tack on another $20 at the end.

Now a transfer for a gun purchased third party I can understand charging more.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Allegheny County)

Hello All,

Trying to save a dollar

Thanks,
    Rich
    Why? because they want to make money. Now, $50 for a transfer is crazy but $20 - $25 is fine with me. Buy more than one at a time and save money. I just got two rifles done for $30, that averages out $15. Not bad at all. In any industry that is as heavily regulated as the firearms industry I come to expect the margins on quick things like transfers to be high. It's not like they have huge margins on the guns, the internet helps keep those down.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Jefferson County)

My local guy charges $5 when you buy a gun from him, or $20 for transfers between individuals. To me that seems quite fair, especially when people are in there during his busy season trying to do it. His primary thing is archery so this past month he has been crazy busy, and of the couple times I've been in I saw 2 guys transferring a pistol from one to the other. So yea, he has gone through all the paperwork and junk to get an FFL and he should make a few bucks on it.

And they don't have a monopoly on the service. You should feel quite free to get an FFL yourself if you have that much of a problem with them charging for transfers.

(Centre County)

This has been debated before.

When doing a transfer the FFL has to take the time to enter the gun into his books, get the paperwork ready, wait while you fill out the paperwork in case you have any questions, review the paperwork to make sure it has been filled out correctly, call PICS, wait on PICS, finish the paperwork with the info from PICS, and then update his books to show the transfer and then do the other paperwork that he has to send to the PSP Firearms Unit (that includes an envelope, stamp, address labels, going to the P.O.. This all takes time and the FFL's time is not free. Also, remember that the FFL is may be making no money on this gun (if he did not sell it).

For me, If I sell the gun, the price of paperwork is included in the selling price. If you order a gun from someone else or buy your buddies gun, I will do the transfer for a nominal fee to get paid for my time. I don't charge a lot and some gun dealers look at it differently and charge what they want. If you think the charges are too high then you can look for another place that may be less expensive.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Centre County)

Thanks,
    Rich

Well Rich, I can tell you that that link is incorrect. In PA, when the FFL calls the PICS, they are charged $2.00 (whether approved or denied), that's it. Now if the gun is bought from the FFL, it is a taxable purchase (PA sales tax) and the FFL is now liable for a $3.00 surcharge also. If the gun was bought from somewhere else, or is a sale between two non FFL's the $3.00 surcharge is not assessed (because no sales tax is collected).

If I sell a gun from my stock, the extra $5 is built into the cost and I don't charge anything else because I make my profit from selling the gun. If I do a transfer for somebody that bought a gun from the internet or from another person, I charge for the call to PICS ($2.00) and for my time (see my other reply). If another FFL charges something else, that is the way they run their business.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Bucks County)

You think that's bad... try calling around for a Class 3 transfer. Some charge $100 to $150 and up per item!!! Here I thought $50 was acceptable, excessive but acceptable.

Now on standard transfers, I end up paying $25 with a break for multiple transfers done at once. I think that is fair. I look at not only the PICS fee, but also the individual's time in dealing with me, the phone call (which he always ends up having to get a verbal), and paperwork. On purchases directly from a dealer's stock or special order, the dealer should build those costs into his sale price. I will gladly take my business somewhere else if you try and nickel and dime me - unless of course you are practically giving it away

(Northampton County)

I really didn’t want to get into this but.

Just like you looked around on the internet for the best possible price you can call around for the best transfer price.
    It is a business decision made by the dealer as to what he wants to charge to hold onto your paperwork for 20 years. Complete all the required actions by the ATF and State ect.

I have had transfers that went smooth and transfers that I wish I never got involved with.
    40,000 phone call’s on where there gun was that I didn’t sell. People that could not get threw PICS that now expect that I am required to buy the gun from them for what they paid. People that flat out come in my shop took 2 of 3 hours of my time showing and explaining what is what only to purchase on line.

A business has expanses my opinion is nothing should be done for nothing. If you feel that I charge to much call around. There are plenty dealers that will do it for nothing.

I am also seeing more and more dealers having a separate charge for internet transfers. I don’t do this at this time.

I also do take care of my regular customers. If you have a good relationship with your dealer and support his business than you may find that it don’t cost you a thing. I have done even NFA transfers for free.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast