Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Looking for 1st semi automatic

Hello! I am pretty new here but have read a fair amount of interesting threads here.

My story: I bought a S&W 357 Jframe 60 3in barrel revolver and love it -then i purchased the same frame S&W model 65 (i think or 63) 5in barrel 22LR which I am also very very happy with.(reason-cheaper ammo and easier to find but still same frame for practice purposes. My problem is i have my carry permit and my Smith with its long barrel is not only a little heavy but long (i am short) Tonight i just purchased a Don Hume JIT which is better than my fanny pack but it digs when i sit down - it is a pretty big gun for me to carry and i know i will probably not carry often due to its size.

So - perhaps a smaller gun in possibly a semi. I am not sure i want such a similar gun in a snubby revolver but it is not totally out of the question.

I have small hands so something like the XDM is too big as well as a Glock. The new Sig 380 caliber looks nice but i wonder if it is too light a gun for recoil for a beginner shooter and too new yet. (I took an NRA pistol course and have not had much practice yet). I held a stainless Kahr which wasnt bad but a tad heavy. I do prefer a stainless model over the composite types. I do not think i would like the lightweight Ruger LCP for its recoil. I know i need to look more but i would appreciate some ideas of some brands to possibly narrow down. Oh yeah, i prefer shooting single action on the smith so i couldnt use a heavy pull type gun. I read a lot of good about Sigs - So, i think a medium weight small gun of 380 or 9mm (no larger) would be my best best. 9mm is easier to find so i would gravitate that way i think.

Thanks for any ideas.
    Last edited by Just1more; October 3rd, 2009 at 07:28 PM. Reason: addition

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: Looking for 1st semi automatic

IMO if you want a nice carry semi, go for the bersa thunder. It's in .380, a ppk style frame with all of the advantages and none of the disadvantages. One huge perk is that the trigger is amazing, just as good if not better than the sig's. Another option would be a taurus p-11 I believe it is. It's a nice slim 9mm, but the trigger pull can be a bit tough until you get used to it.

I own the "new Sig 380 caliber" assuming you're talking about the P238, the one that looks like a Colt Mustang/mini-1911. The gun isn't that light being that the slide and frame are both metal so it will not recoil as much as the lighter LCP. Even though my pinky is completely off the grip while shooting it, the recoil is not bad at all and muzzle flip is barely there...the trigger is nice too being SAO.

Not really sure what to tell you to look at, I don't have large hands but the XD sized grips seem to fit me just fine. Perhaps you should look at single stack pistols to get a gun with a thinner grip.

(Monroe County)

I second the Bersa, its one heck of a gun, and for just a little over $200 bucks. I also own a SIG 232, nice gun too but the Bersa has a nicer trigger.

If you dont mind a striker fired gun , look into the Kahr cw9, one heck of a gun too , i own this one too.

The Keltec PF 9 is also a nice Gun , i dont own one but i have handled one.

Nyman

(Monroe County)

My wife got the Bersa Thunder .380 just recently. We just put over a hundred rounds thru it, no jams at all. She is pretty small as well. I got to shoot it myself, I'm a bit big, and have to say that it shot really nice. Very accurate and the recoil was pretty light. She has no problem with it and it fits very well in her small hands.

Glock 19, wouldn't ever bet my life on a Bersa.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Chester County)

Are you trying to packet carry this? Take a look at the Kahr PF9 or PM9 (something like that). Its small and holds like 6 or 7 +1. Its pretty nice and real slim...just a thought...

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    Glock 19, wouldn't ever bet my life on a Bersa.
    Yeah he's right!, Should probably listen to one who's never shot one or even looked at the hundred reviews of Hand gun, Guns & Ammo magazine and people who owned one for years and swear that they find it more jam free than their S & W. http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/glock-kb-faq.html

Do your research and pick one that's best for you.
    Last edited by jengelh6471; September 29th, 2009 at 08:30 AM.

Hokkmike Guest

+3 on the Bersa. My opinion is based on personal experience.

(Delaware County)

Check out the M&P 9mm Compact. The adjustable backstraps will make help with a good fit and it has amazing capacity for such a small gun.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast