Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Question about LTCF applications

Okay, so as I'm sure most of you know, PA law states:

"The application for a license to carry a firearm shall be uniform throughout this Commonwealth and shall be on a form prescribed by the Pennsylvania State Police. The form may contain provisions, not exceeding one page, to assure compliance with this section. Issuing authorities shall use only the application form prescribed by the Pennsylvania State Police."
    (That is from 18 Pa.C.S. § 6109)

But, and I'm sure you know this, too, different counties have different requirements. My county (Monroe) has requirements that prevent me from getting a LTCF until I've been here for at least a year. Obviously, the application is NOT uniform throughout the commonwealth. I've tried to find this form that the code refers to, that's set forth by the PA state police, but I can't. On the PA state police website, it just says to refer to your local police department for the proper application.

Then I realized that every county IS, in fact, using the same form. However, their instructions as to the requirement vary from county to county. For example, Monroe county requires that your 2 references:

*Are not related to you (this is legit)
    *Are full-time Monroe county residents
    *Do not reside at the same address as you
    *Do not reside at the same address as each other
    *Are not related to each other

Lackawanna county, on the other hand, simply requires that they are not related to the applicant.

So why all the variation?

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Question about LTCF applications

Because they will get away with it until someone calls them out on it. Even then they will fight the fact until it is challenged in court.

(Bucks County)

I sent a letter to PSP noting the various costs and requirements around the counties that dont jive with what is in the statute....still waiting to here back from them.

Get a Florida or Utah permit...its not PA's short turn around, but its better than a year. Alot of local districts like this seem to get away with this junk all over the place. New York is even worse than PA, of course. Your solution is to contact your local politicians. Also, your sheriff is probly elected...
    How pissed are you gonna be if you die before the Zombie Apocalypse comes? - - IANAL

(Monroe County)

As for the sheriff being elected, I heard in passing that he's been in office for years, and has run unopposed. I don't know if there's any truth to this, it's just what I've heard.

The issue is that I'd like to get my LTCF, but I can't because I've only lived here for about six months. I know plenty of people that would give me a reference, but they all live out of state. Monroe county requires that they live here. The only people in Monroe that I've know long enough are my wife and her parents, who are disqualified due to being family. According to state law, I should be able to get a LTCF without a problem; but because of our sheriff, I cannot.

And mrjam2jab: Good luck getting anything out of PSP. I've called them with questions and issues on multiple occasions, and not once have they returned my calls.

EDIT: How would I go about getting a Florida permit when I live in PA? Can I do it through the mail?
    Last edited by snakeman21; September 28th, 2009 at 01:21 PM.

(Armstrong County)

Put in your application, if the sheriff denies it then appeal it to the court.
    There is no requirements for instate references.

An OC Activist and 1 of the 3%
    Ed Stephan
    FeedBack: https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.p...ight=edstephan
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3790&dateline=1331561  797An OathKeeper and OC Activist, 1 of the 3%, Ed Stephan

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by edstephan View Post
    I would love to do that, purely for the satisfaction, but you have to understand that money is very tight right now. My wife is going to college full time, and we have to pay for that along with our other expenses. We can't afford to be paying court fees.

(Armstrong County)

Then looks like you'll have to go without then.
    This is exactly where the problem lies and why the sheriff gets away with what he does.

An OC Activist and 1 of the 3%
    Ed Stephan
    FeedBack: https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.p...ight=edstephan
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3790&dateline=1331561  797An OathKeeper and OC Activist, 1 of the 3%, Ed Stephan

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by edstephan View Post
    Good advice.

Quote Originally Posted by snakeman21 View Post
    I would love to do that, purely for the satisfaction, but you have to understand that money is very tight right now. My wife is going to college full time, and we have to pay for that along with our other expenses. We can't afford to be paying court fees.
    It should not be very costly. If you proceed as advised above, you will be given an opportunity to appeal the denial. You then would "tell it to the Judge". I do not believe the Judge would uphold the Sheriff's decision since it is not in compliance with State Law. It should be able to be done on the cheap, so to speak.

Be safe (and FIGHT THE POWER!!).

Scott

Yeah, but what if the sheriff refuses to even accept the application? Is that the same as being denied a LTCF?

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast