Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Wayne County)

Question Colt Lieutenant Commander

I picked up a new pistol today and did not know what is was until I looked around online and found the gun. It is stamped LT Commander and the associate who bought it in thought it was a Light Weight Commander.It has a 3-1/2" bull barrel and full size frame the info I found said there was only 500 made and its in 85 to 90% condition. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about these pistols. I was going to have some custom work done to use it as a carry gun but now I'm rethinking that strategy. Its on layaway for now I'll post pictures as soon as I pick it up.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Colt Lieutenant Commander

Quote Originally Posted by rich View Post
    I picked up a new pistol today and did not know what is was until I looked around online and found the gun. It is stamped LT Commander and the associate who bought it in thought it was a Light Weight Commander.It has a 3-1/2" bull barrel and full size frame the info I found said there was only 500 made and its in 85 to 90% condition. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about these pistols. I was going to have some custom work done to use it as a carry gun but now I'm rethinking that strategy. Its on layaway for now I'll post pictures as soon as I pick it up.
    I beleive it does mean lightweight commander. Is it a series 70 or 80? I would also say it has a 4" barrel not a 3 1/2" as commander models are 4", officer models are 3 1/2". But I could be wrong as Colt did make some unique guns. I would love to see pics.

Stainless, blue or matte finish?

(Wayne County)

It is definitely Lieutenant Commander 3-1/2" bushing less bull barrel full size frame with full size mag. Frame and sides of slide polished blue top of slide flat blue arched back strap wood grips and round commander hammer.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by rich View Post
    It is definitely Lieutenant Commander 3-1/2" bushing less bull barrel full size frame with full size mag. Frame and sides of slide polished blue top of slide flat blue arched back strap wood grips and round commander hammer.

Interesting, never seen one of those, would definately like to learn more about it and see pics when you get it.

(Allegheny County)

i would not chop up a nice limited run colt like that! not with so many dime a dozen compact 1911's out there. don't ruin a nice and rare pistol to duplicate something common!
    MORDENTE MEUM

Quote Originally Posted by mpi View Post
    i would not chop up a nice limited run colt like that! not with so many dime a dozen compact 1911's out there. don't ruin a nice and rare pistol to duplicate something common!
    I 2nd that! you'll be sorry.
    "343" Never Forgotten

(Philadelphia County)

Apparently it's 1 of 800 produced by Lew Horton in 1985.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=245685

I wouldn't mess with it.

(Wayne County)

Talking Re: Colt Lieutenant Commander

Oh well guess I have to tell the wife I'll have to pick up another piece to carry.

(Allegheny County)

Why not carry it? Limited edition or not, it is still a Colt.

Question Re: Colt Lieutenant Commander

"It is definitely Lieutenant Commander 3-1/2" bushing less bull barrel full size frame with full size mag. Frame and sides of slide polished blue top of slide flat blue arched back strap wood grips and round commander hammer."

Hello all,

I posted about this topic, a bit old now, on the 1911forum but no response. So I came to the source. My friend owned 2 of these Lt Commanders, with the inscription on the slide and the epiletes on each side of "Lt Commander" however, there is most definitely a bushing on the end of them both. They do have the wide bull barrels, though.

So I am wondering if this is just a terminology issue on my part, and the bushing is non-traditional, but maybe a barrel on pic of the Lt Comm presented here would help. Can anyone explain, even in the side shot here, you can make out a bushing on the end of the barrel and slide. I'm just curious why it's referred to as being bushing-less.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sincerely,

Frank

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast