Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lake Ariel, Pennsylvania
    (Wayne County)
    Posts
    314
    Rep Power
    14

    Question Colt Lieutenant Commander

    I picked up a new pistol today and did not know what is was until I looked around online and found the gun. It is stamped LT Commander and the associate who bought it in thought it was a Light Weight Commander.It has a 3-1/2" bull barrel and full size frame the info I found said there was only 500 made and its in 85 to 90% condition. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about these pistols. I was going to have some custom work done to use it as a carry gun but now I'm rethinking that strategy. Its on layaway for now I'll post pictures as soon as I pick it up.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Monroeville, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)
    Posts
    6,012
    Rep Power
    21474854

    Default Re: Colt Lieutenant Commander

    Quote Originally Posted by rich View Post
    I picked up a new pistol today and did not know what is was until I looked around online and found the gun. It is stamped LT Commander and the associate who bought it in thought it was a Light Weight Commander.It has a 3-1/2" bull barrel and full size frame the info I found said there was only 500 made and its in 85 to 90% condition. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about these pistols. I was going to have some custom work done to use it as a carry gun but now I'm rethinking that strategy. Its on layaway for now I'll post pictures as soon as I pick it up.
    I beleive it does mean lightweight commander. Is it a series 70 or 80? I would also say it has a 4" barrel not a 3 1/2" as commander models are 4", officer models are 3 1/2". But I could be wrong as Colt did make some unique guns. I would love to see pics.

    Stainless, blue or matte finish?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lake Ariel, Pennsylvania
    (Wayne County)
    Posts
    314
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: Colt Lieutenant Commander

    It is definitely Lieutenant Commander 3-1/2" bushing less bull barrel full size frame with full size mag. Frame and sides of slide polished blue top of slide flat blue arched back strap wood grips and round commander hammer.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Monroeville, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)
    Posts
    6,012
    Rep Power
    21474854

    Default Re: Colt Lieutenant Commander

    Quote Originally Posted by rich View Post
    It is definitely Lieutenant Commander 3-1/2" bushing less bull barrel full size frame with full size mag. Frame and sides of slide polished blue top of slide flat blue arched back strap wood grips and round commander hammer.

    Interesting, never seen one of those, would definately like to learn more about it and see pics when you get it.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)
    Posts
    790
    Rep Power
    193642

    Default Re: Colt Lieutenant Commander

    i would not chop up a nice limited run colt like that! not with so many dime a dozen compact 1911's out there. don't ruin a nice and rare pistol to duplicate something common!
    MORDENTE MEUM

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Gretna, Virginia
    Age
    55
    Posts
    750
    Rep Power
    3639

    Default Re: Colt Lieutenant Commander

    Quote Originally Posted by mpi View Post
    i would not chop up a nice limited run colt like that! not with so many dime a dozen compact 1911's out there. don't ruin a nice and rare pistol to duplicate something common!
    I 2nd that! you'll be sorry.
    "343" Never Forgotten

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NE Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    (Philadelphia County)
    Posts
    167
    Rep Power
    72985

    Default Re: Colt Lieutenant Commander

    Apparently it's 1 of 800 produced by Lew Horton in 1985.

    http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=245685

    I wouldn't mess with it.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lake Ariel, Pennsylvania
    (Wayne County)
    Posts
    314
    Rep Power
    14

    Talking Re: Colt Lieutenant Commander

    Oh well guess I have to tell the wife I'll have to pick up another piece to carry.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Pittsburhg area, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)
    Posts
    440
    Rep Power
    9113

    Default Re: Colt Lieutenant Commander

    Why not carry it? Limited edition or not, it is still a Colt.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, North Carolina
    Posts
    2
    Rep Power
    0

    Question Re: Colt Lieutenant Commander

    "It is definitely Lieutenant Commander 3-1/2" bushing less bull barrel full size frame with full size mag. Frame and sides of slide polished blue top of slide flat blue arched back strap wood grips and round commander hammer."

    Hello all,

    I posted about this topic, a bit old now, on the 1911forum but no response. So I came to the source. My friend owned 2 of these Lt Commanders, with the inscription on the slide and the epiletes on each side of "Lt Commander" however, there is most definitely a bushing on the end of them both. They do have the wide bull barrels, though.

    So I am wondering if this is just a terminology issue on my part, and the bushing is non-traditional, but maybe a barrel on pic of the Lt Comm presented here would help. Can anyone explain, even in the side shot here, you can make out a bushing on the end of the barrel and slide. I'm just curious why it's referred to as being bushing-less.

    Any advice would be appreciated.

    Sincerely,

    Frank

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: September 12th, 2009, 12:02 AM
  2. Colt Lightweight Commander
    By Shawn.L in forum General
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: August 11th, 2008, 11:49 PM
  3. Colt Combat Commander
    By clarion44 in forum General
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: June 20th, 2008, 04:59 PM
  4. Colt Commander
    By 96D in forum General
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: February 3rd, 2008, 09:00 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Local gun shops | Local shooting ranges | Philadelphia Shooting Ranges | Philadelphia Gun Shops | Pittsburgh Shooting Ranges | Pittsburgh Gun Shops