Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile Gun owner with license for concealed gun permit

I am a self employed man and carry a Taurus 357 magnum snub nose.
    It fires 38 +p+ or 357 magnums (I only have the +p+ as a friend gave them to me years ago. I have only fired in a rifle range for practice.
    My Taurus
    is an excellent piece in mint condition; however, since I carry a shoulder bag with other stuff, (gets veryheavy) I've seen a customer's new Smith & Wesson
    Airweight model 642 with no hammer and just love it, so light you can carry it in your pocket undetectable.
    Should I trade in my Taurus (which one of my customers told me is a better pistol than the S&W (but I like the S&W airweight). He is a Delta captain and former military officer.
    I'd love opinions as , obviously, I am no expert on these things.
    Regards, (Please feel free to email me at: alphaearth8@yahoo.com
    Kevin
    Last edited by kevin smith; September 27th, 2009 at 02:50 PM. Reason: to add more information

(York County)

Default Re: Gun owner with license for concealed gun permit

Keep your Taurus and buy a lightweight .38 caliber snubby. Taurus makes some very nice ones. I suggest the Model 851 with the aluminum frame and titanium cylinder. This one has the shrouded hammer.
    The S&W's are nice too, but cost considerably more.

If you do sell or trade your .357 Magnum Taurus, you'll probably take quite a loss on it...and there's no need to do that unless you cannot afford the $400 or so to buy that snubby revolver.
    BTW, while you're looking at those snubby revolvers, check out the new Ruger LCR too.

I've carried Taurus .38 for at least 10 years (pocket carry). These are about the easiest gun one can carry.
    Well, pushed 60 too hard so now I am the big SIX-OH. Now I can be a real pain in the ass! And, who says growin' old isn't fun!!

It's all personal preference. Whatever you can make hits with. Im sure his gun works for him which is why he carries it. I prefer semis

Someone will likely come along to correct your title because PA doesnt have a permit, but a License to Carry Firearms, for a lot that means carrying concealed and for those who open carry - it allows them to carry in the car/motorcycle etc.

I'd find a place where you can rent one to try it out or a member here that will let you try theirs. If you can make it to a group shoot that's the best environment for trying things.

(Luzerne County)

I would keep the Taurus and add the Smith.

You will find that the airwieght may be great for shooting, but it may not be as good of a range gun. Because it is so light the recoil will be magnified. You will be slightly slower getting back unto target for a follow up shot.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Luzerne County)

Smile Re: Gun owner with license for concealed gun permit

First thing you should do is go to a range that rents the 642 and shoot one. The air weight line has a number of models. The 442 is identical to the 642 but in blue. They have others with visible hammers. Just go to their website and check out the J frame revolvers. The biggest complaint that I've heard about them is that they are hard on the hands.

Since you are looking, you might want to check out s small auto like the ones from Kahr.

The other thing is you might want to think about getting a gun belt and holster for your 357. You may be a lot happier carrying it.
    You'd Better Hope Your Insane, Cause There's No Cure For Stupid!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
    Someone will likely come along to correct your title because PA doesnt have a permit, but a License to Carry Firearms, for a lot that means carrying concealed and for those who open carry - it allows them to carry in the car/motorcycle etc.

I'd find a place where you can rent one to try it out or a member here that will let you try theirs. If you can make it to a group shoot that's the best environment for trying things.

His bio says he's from Georgia. That's a loooong drive for a group shoot.
    I can tell you've been rady8ed, you have a nice glow about you.

(Westmoreland County)

If I had to decide between the Taurus and the S&W, I would go with the 642. I happily carried one as my primary weapon for a time, but it is true that recoil is a little snappy.

Since you already have the Taurus, I would look for alternative carry methods. However, if the 642 is just begging to come home with you, then by all means, trade the Taurus and adopt one.

Unhappy Re: Gun owner with license for concealed gun permit

Thanks so much for the positive reply.
    You are the only one that said to give up the Taurus and get the 642 S&W/
    Others gave good responses but advised to keep the Taurus and get the 642 or another, additionally.
    I'm too old to carry this heavy gun in my bag on my shoulder.
    However, the recoil of the 642 would probably scare me, if I ever had to use it.
    I'm ramb ling. Please excuse. Living here in Atlanta, Georgia (where I've been most of my life) gets worse (danger wise) every day. Being a barber and carrying cash is scary as hell. Thank God, I haven't been attacked yet, but, it's only a matter of time.
    So, again, if you were me, you'd just go ahead and traid the Taurus for the
    little hammerless 642 S&W. Right? thanks so much,
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by rady8um View Post
    His bio says he's from Georgia. That's a loooong drive for a group shoot.
    AHAHA, I never look but I guess our high ranking in google searches bring in a lot of out of staters!

(Lebanon County)

yes.

taurus's are not bad guns.
    but smiths are much better. it's one of those things many people only pick up after they've lived with one.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast