Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lehigh County)

Default 50 Caliber Rifle Ranges

Hi,

Can someone recommend a good range, preferably in or near Allentown, where I could shoot my AR-50 rifle? I'd love to test it out as soon as I get the chance. Thanks in advance for your help.

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: 50 Caliber Rifle Ranges

Honestly around the allentown area there are no real ranges with distance to shoot an AR50 at. Some state gamelands ranges will allow them. I know there is one up past Jim Thorpe on the Broad Mtn that only goes out to 300yds. I've taken mine there a few times just to get it sighted in and let a friend or 2 shoot it. The only thing the warden asked was no tracer or AP/API ammo.

If you look for LisaA on here she also has one and may have found a better range south of the allentown area since she is from philly.

There are some bigger ranges out in the mid-part of the state that you can really stretch the gun out at but they are a far drive.

Just some advice with the gun. Watch your eye relief on the scope so you don't get hit from it. Buy a very good set of bipid legs. The standard Harris just don't cut it very well on such a heavy gun. Keep an eye on where you get ammo from. Older mil surplus was corrosive primed until the mid 70's and it will turn your stuff green if you don't clean the gun after each session. And finally if you have alot of people around keep them away from the muzzle brake. It will give you a concussion and break cheap digital cameras from the overpressure it generates.
    "Remember the first rule of gunfighting ... have a gun." Jeff Cooper

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by wheeling365 View Post
    Honestly around the allentown area there are no real ranges with distance to shoot an AR50 at. Some state gamelands ranges will allow them. I know there is one up past Jim Thorpe on the Broad Mtn that only goes out to 300yds. I've taken mine there a few times just to get it sighted in and let a friend or 2 shoot it. The only thing the warden asked was no tracer or AP/API ammo.

If you look for LisaA on here she also has one and may have found a better range south of the allentown area since she is from philly.

There are some bigger ranges out in the mid-part of the state that you can really stretch the gun out at but they are a far drive.

Just some advice with the gun. Watch your eye relief on the scope so you don't get hit from it. Buy a very good set of bipid legs. The standard Harris just don't cut it very well on such a heavy gun. Keep an eye on where you get ammo from. Older mil surplus was corrosive primed until the mid 70's and it will turn your stuff green if you don't clean the gun after each session. And finally if you have alot of people around keep them away from the muzzle brake. It will give you a concussion and break cheap digital cameras from the overpressure it generates.
    Hi wheeling365,

Thank you for the helpful recommendations and the advice-- this is all good stuff to know!

I'll check about the public ranges; I assume the one you are talking about is in SGL 141? I've got Aramlite's factory bipod and some new factory ammo, which I assume would be the best way to go.

(Franklin County)

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by dantiff2 View Post
    Dantiff2,

Thanks for your help as well! Hopefully, I'll be able to make it out there soon.

(Bucks County)

Ontelaunee Rod And Gun Club 8100 Gun Club Rd New Tripoli, Pa. is close to Allentown , membership is $20. They have 300 yd range; I do not think they have restrictions on shooting 50 cal. you would have to check to be sure.
    I met another shooter with a 50 cal. there two years ago. He was kind enough and offered me a shot, I did not have to think twice and took him up on his offer. I did enjoy it and was thankful for the opportunity.

http://www.ontelaunee.org/