Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default NOT in PA, but have a question.....

A forum I regularly post to had a poster from PA {According to the poster!!!!!} claim that because a SBR is classed as a "Firearm" by PA, that he carry a Ruger AC556 or a SIG 556 SBR concealed, since he says he has a PA Concealed Firearm License.

=====

One of his posts:

PA issues the license to carry firearms. A firearm is defined as revovlver or pistol less than a certain length or a rifle less tha 16 or shotgun less than 18inches which is a SBR or SBS. I would prob never carry it but want something that can fit in a backpack. From what I read the sig looks like a better choice. Any ideas where I can find the test info on them and how well they shoot? BTW if something happened that would require me to leave my house I would rather have a LEGAL SBR in the front seated than a not legal regular rifle incase I was stopped. As far as I know I can legally have a SBR loaded in my vehicle and on me with a LTCF.

=====

IS he right under PA law?!?!?

I am in Virginia, and I KNOW my CHP does NOT cover SBRs and NFAs......

Thanx for any help you can provide about this.

Scott

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: NOT in PA, but have a question.....

If we are talking PA law, he can have a regular long gun in his vehicle all he wants so long as it is unloaded. Only in Philly does one need a license to have a long gun on the streets or in a vehicle.

Elsewhere in PA, no license at all is needed for a long gun in a vehicle, but at no time may it be loaded. On foot one may OC or CC a loaded long gun and NO license is needed.

You only need a LTCF to transport a "firearm" (SBS, SBR, handgun) in a vehicle whether loaded or not. Or to carry concealed a "firearm". Or to carry on the streets of a 1st class city a "firearm", rifle or shotgun. Or to carry a "firearm", rifle or shotgun during a declared emergency.

Title 18, Chapter 61, subsection 6102 - Definitions
    "Firearm." Any pistol or revolver with a barrel length less than 15 inches, any shotgun with a barrel length less than 18 inches or any rifle with a barrel length less than 16 inches, or any pistol, revolver, rifle or shotgun with an overall length of less than 26 inches. The barrel length of a firearm shall be determined by measuring from the muzzle of the barrel to the face of the closed action, bolt or cylinder, whichever is applicable.

Last edited by knight0334; September 26th, 2009 at 06:15 PM.

(Jefferson County)

I must add this though:

Even though our LTCF covers SBS's and SBR's, you must follow the laws of the state in which you are in. A PA licensee can only carry in say VA what VA allows. But a VA licensee may carry SBS's and SBR's while in PA.

So it sounds like he might have been right, then. What he wants to do, IF I understood correctly was use his LTCF to carry a SBR or NFA weapon in his backpack concealed.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by DScottHewitt View Post
    So it sounds like he might have been right, then. What he wants to do, IF I understood correctly was use his LTCF to carry a SBR or NFA weapon in his backpack concealed.
    He'd be legal in PA.

(Monroe County)

Here's a question I've been itching to ask since I saw the video of the guy open carrying the M4 in arizona that got alot of attention. You can open carry a rifle or shotgun on you?

(Chester County)

He also could be referring to a Sig P556 which is classified as a pistol...

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ross11988 View Post
    Here's a question I've been itching to ask since I saw the video of the guy open carrying the M4 in arizona that got alot of attention. You can open carry a rifle or shotgun on you?
    yes.

a few of the guys here have done exactly that while attending TEA party protests.

(Monroe County)

Ok. Do you need to have a cc permit to transport it in the car loaded? If you don't have a cc permit then you must have it unloaded correct?