Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Beaver County)

Default John Brown's Armory (Rochester, Beaver Co)

I'm sure if you live in the area you've heard of John Brown's. These guys are extremely friendly and knowledgeable. The prices are usually only $10 over budsgunshop.com. That is pretty darn good. The shop is a bit disorganized but, they have a ton of stuff. And, if they don't have it, they'll get it for you ASAP. These guys have a top notch business. If you're ever in the area stop by and say hi to them.

(Beaver County)

Default Re: John Brown's Armory (Rochester, Beaver Co)

the key here is ask - if you don't see what you're looking for, ask. He's got stuff stashed every where. I couldn't find a 1911 clone to save my life, but I waited in line to ask, and I got a 'sure', and he goes over someplace else and comes back with a like new springfield. I've bought a few guns over the years here.

In beaver/lawrence counties -- maybe allegheny, he has the biggest selection of used. in beaver and lawrence, he's got the most anything.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by huntingbeaver View Post
    the key here is ask - if you don't see what you're looking for, ask. He's got stuff stashed every where. I couldn't find a 1911 clone to save my life, but I waited in line to ask, and I got a 'sure', and he goes over someplace else and comes back with a like new springfield. I've bought a few guns over the years here.

In beaver/lawrence counties -- maybe allegheny, he has the biggest selection of used. in beaver and lawrence, he's got the most anything.

Yep, delt with Tim quite a few times, he's a good guy in my books.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by RJ1670 View Post
    The shop is a bit disorganized but, they have a ton of stuff.
    LMAO, that's an understatement, the poor guy makes my apartment look neat (and that's saying a lot)

but that being said, everyone there are great guys and the prices are fair

(Allegheny County)

Went to JB Armory this past weekend for the first time and wow! words can not describe how unorganized that place is. guns in piles on the floor, on the wall, ammo everywhere with parts everywhere along with boxes and boxes of who knows what. But overall its a really interesting shop and they have very good prices and are super friendly i will be going back to make another purchase as soon as i save up some money.

(Beaver County)

I had to stop going to JBA's some years back because every time I walked in Tim would pull out some gun and be like "you need to try that on for size" and I'd buy the damned thing.

I saw them at a recent gun show and they are moving to a bigger store to better display all of the things they have. Pretty sure it is just next door or across the street... I'll be rolling on out there to check that out soon.

Great guys, great shop. You won't be disappointed.

Not sure where to put this. I am a long time loyal buyer, every time paying more that the worth without a complaint. I have sent family there with similar results.

Was in for Thanksgiving and was interested in a ptr91 that was $1,059. Said I would be back next holiday (I am from out of town). I guess the possible gun ban is lining their pockets because the price is now $1,995, three week later. Loyalty means nothing to them. I will never be back there except to see the building where they once did business.

I came home and ordered the gun for $1,089. I love how "friends" at the gun store profit the most based on rumors. Thanks for looking out for your loyal customers.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jmgsx View Post
    Not sure where to put this. I am a long time loyal buyer, every time paying more that the worth without a complaint. I have sent family there with similar results.

Was in for Thanksgiving and was interested in a ptr91 that was $1,059. Said I would be back next holiday (I am from out of town). I guess the possible gun ban is lining their pockets because the price is now $1,995, three week later. Loyalty means nothing to them. I will never be back there except to see the building where they once did business.

I came home and ordered the gun for $1,089. I love how "friends" at the gun store profit the most based on rumors. Thanks for looking out for your loyal customers.
    So you wanted a 900$ discount on a rifle because you shopped there a few times?

I think the rest of the thread speaks for itself....
    You can only draw so many lines in the sand before you are backed into a corner...

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by FAL-SHOOTER View Post
    So you wanted a 900$ discount on a rifle because you shopped there a few times?

I think the rest of the thread speaks for itself....
    It does, but to be fair, he's a gun dealer. The vast majority of gun dealers crank up prices at times like this. If I find one that does not, I'll send them my business. I've yet to find such a beast.

I bought a Springfield XD-45 at JBA a few years ago, and they tossed in a kit of 4 extra 13 rounders gratis. Reminds me I'll have to shoot over there again one of these days.

(Elk County)

Tom is always friendly and helpful. Tim is usually so, but moody. I like Tim when he's in a good mood, but I'll leave without buying if he's in a bad mood or I'll wait for Tom.

Tom waits on you, he's with you from start to finish. Tim waits on you, he's with you for a while and then more often than not has to break off to BS with some other guy while the clock ticks. I'm not talking about answering the phone; it's some "regular" who hangs around and a gab session starts while the completed paperwork sits on the counter.

They need one clerk to wait on non-gun transactions when things get busy -- holsters, mags, ammo, etc. Four weeks ago I waited 50 mins to buy a holster while guns were transacted, and ran out of time as I had to be elsewhere for an appointment. So the holster got replaced on the pegboard pin.

The "new" store is starting to take on the character of how the old store next door was -- creeping disorganization, more and more "stuff" piled on the floor.

Despite the "No Smoking" sign on the door, Tim lights up in the mirrored-window office halfway back the left side.

Others have posted above about the competitive pricing at JBA, but personally I don't see it on new guns, and especially on the used and milsurp guns. I get around to a number of gun shops and JBA is a bit on the high side of competitive.

Too many guns in the display racks have tags without pricing, and when asked about the price, Tim says "That's not priced yet; can't sell it." OK, but if it's not priced, why is it in the rack and not with the hundreds of guns in the quarantine on the right just inside the door? OR, if a customer shows interest in a tagged gun in the used rack, it would be good customer service (IMO) to provide a price. I can understand the "Hands off, don't even ask" policy about the quarantine on the right just inside the front door, but if a firearm is tagged in a rack or display case, it is good business practice to price it. That's my opinion, FWIW. But it's not Tim's, and it's his store so it's his rules whether I like it or not. I can understand it even if I don't like it and it's not the way I'd run a shop.

I can only imagine what a BATFE FFL compliance audit must be like there, with the disorganization and the showroom being the tip of the iceberg and the back rooms as full as they are and the 100s of guns in the "quarantine." Wow.

Noah
    Last edited by Noah_Zark; December 29th, 2012 at 08:14 PM.
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast