Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Legit G20 protests

The tenor of opinion around is that most of the protests are stupid and ill-conceived. Either the protest objective is dumb ()

On this point, I'd to point out there are some protest movements of merit if you ignore the typical anarchist rabble:

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_643939.html

http://www.post-gazette.com/multimedia/?videoID=102343

I mean, where else might you get the attention of Hu Jintao to tell him he should stop oppressing Tibetans and propping up the Burmese government?

They're planning a march through Squirrel Hill at some point. I really doubt the people who matter will see it, and even if they did, would they change their minds?

Protesting is such an over-used tactic now that they are a lot of work for not much gain.

A rally on the other hand, is another thing altogether if it gets people behind an issue to agree on ideas and messages.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Legit G20 protests

I saw on TV they were showing the Free Tibet protesters in Oakland by CMU. Carrying signs doing their thing and definitely not the anarchist type. Nice peaceful demonstration making their point.

(Allegheny County)

There's a monk that shows up on Craig in Oakland. The last time I saw him, he was in the typical orange garment with an mp3 player and mac notebook. It was awesome.

(Clearfield County)

I'm watching a satellite feed right now of rather large group of people walking through the streets. I don't know the different areas of Pittsburgh, so I don't know where they're at.

Every few minutes they chant "whose streets? Our streets."

I've seen several people wearing black scarfs around their necks, but most just look like an average person. I did see 2 police cars drive on the street (which caused a lot of the walkers to get on the sidewalks). The officer stopped for about 30 seconds, then took off rather quickly as if responding to something.

I keep hearing an audio loop (being played so the crowd can hear) saying something like "this is declared to be an unlawful assembly... if you remain in this immediate vacinity you will be dismissed... no matter what your purpose is ... if you leave you will not be hurt" (sorry couldn't type fast enough to get it all). This audio loop is creeping me out. It's like something you'd see in a martial law/dooms day video/clip, but perhaps it's the generic thing they do in the case of riots... idk I've never been to a riot.

If anyone has a Big Ugly Dish, this feed is on AMC 6.

Right before hitting post I saw some portesters dump over a bunch of large trash containers and throw some recycling bins on top. These were the people all dressed in black with the black face masks. (not the "normal" looking people")

Quote Originally Posted by leeam View Post
    I'm watching a satellite feed right now of rather large group of people walking through the streets. I don't know the different areas of Pittsburgh, so I don't know where they're at.

Every few minutes they chant "whose streets? Our streets."

I've seen several people wearing black scarfs around their necks, but most just look like an average person. I did see 2 police cars drive on the street (which caused a lot of the walkers to get on the sidewalks). The officer stopped for about 30 seconds, then took off rather quickly as if responding to something.

I keep hearing an audio loop (being played so the crowd can hear) saying something like "this is declared to be an unlawful assembly... if you remain in this immediate vacinity you will be dismissed... no matter what your purpose is ... if you leave you will not be hurt" (sorry couldn't type fast enough to get it all). This audio loop is creeping me out. It's like something you'd see in a martial law/dooms day video/clip, but perhaps it's the generic thing they do in the case of riots... idk I've never been to a riot.

If anyone has a Big Ugly Dish, this feed is on AMC 6.

Right before hitting post I saw some portesters dump over a bunch of large trash containers and throw some recycling bins on top. These were the people all dressed in black with the black face masks. (not the "normal" looking people")

post the feed link
    ΑΣΦ

(Clearfield County)

There is no link. I have a large satellite dish with a motor pointed at AMC 6 satellite. There's a lot of interesting stuff you can find if you have a big dish. Ususally it's just reporters out in the field and the signal is coming from a satellite truck, so you get to see things "behind the scenes". I even saw some Obama + Oprah feed during the campaign (when the cameras are "off" to the normal public).

I could probably rig up a system to stream this, but not sure it's worth the effort. It's actually pretty boring. Just a dude walking around with the crowd. Nothing noteworthy is going on for the most part.

Update: some people were rinsing their eyes out with water and I saw a lot of white smoke. They also have this black van with a large rectangular speaker on top of it producing a really annoying chirping sound.

EDIT: maybe this will get interesting. I heard someone yell a couple times "the other group pushed behind the police line." But the guy holding the camera for this doesn't seem to be showing anything related to that. Just the other crowd (that he's walking in).
    Last edited by leeam; September 24th, 2009 at 03:40 PM.