Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pump or semi?

(Berks County)

Default Pump or semi?

For local 3 gun . . . .what would you choose? Money is a factor. I'll spend the dough for a semi if it's worth it. But the basic question is HOW MUCH faster is a semi than a pump for shooting lets say 5 targets in a string?

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Pump or semi?

Good question. I would think it would be close.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Chester County)

In my experience SA's are much faster and allow you to get on target faster because you are not re-griping the shotgun and don't lose your sight pic... YMMV

I have seen some guys who can work a pump exceptionally well, but I find them to be the exception...

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by d90king View Post
    In my experience SA's are much faster and allow you to get on target faster because you are not re-griping the shotgun and don't lose your sight pic... YMMV

I have seen some guys who can work a pump exceptionally well, but I find them to be the exception...
    I agree that the semi will be faster.... only because my semi cycles a little bit faster than I can cycle the pump, but not by much... but when I cycle a pump, I do not have to adjust my grip and I do not loose my sight picture.

For me, shooting a pump is not much different than shooting a semi. The pump action has become instinct so it happens with little or no thought. I just have to concentrate on the front sight and re-acquire the target... just like a semi.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by coat4gun View Post
    I agree that the semi will be faster.... only because my semi cycles a little bit faster than I can cycle the pump, but not by much... but when I cycle a pump, I do not have to adjust my grip and I do not loose my sight picture.

For me, shooting a pump is not much different than shooting a semi. The pump action has become instinct so it happens with little or no thought. I just have to concentrate on the front sight and re-acquire the target... just like a semi.
    IMHO, you are some what of the exception, most have a hard time keeping it flat enough when pumping to get the natural speed of just shoulder pointing with a semi...

(Delaware County)

No contest IMO, auto loader will beat a pump hands down, and I'm pretty good with a pump.
    A good gas operated ported shotgun will keep you on target and pulling the trigger.
    I will qualify my statement with, if the targets have some spead between them, then you will have time to pump on your way to the next target. Two feet between targets, auto will get it done much faster. Not sure what your shooting.
    I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning.[

R.I.P......Murphy.

(Philadelphia County)

Of course a semi will be faster... personally I prefer a pump, its just comfortable to shoot for me, but I've had a saiga 12 on my wish list for awhile now. Can't deny the power of a semi shotty
    Just because 'perfect' is impossible does not mean we should settle for 'broken'.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by BerksCountyDave View Post
    For local 3 gun . . . .what would you choose? Money is a factor. I'll spend the dough for a semi if it's worth it. But the basic question is HOW MUCH faster is a semi than a pump for shooting lets say 5 targets in a string?
    I'm at a loss, on the question you want answered. So we'll go with the last one. It depends on the shooter. If you're like my brother, he'll take about a minute to shoot one target. Doesn't matter if a semi, pump, or single shot. So, he'll take 5 minutes to shoot 5 targets. Now, if you're more like me, and shoot a bennelli M-1 you could shoot 5 static targets in about 4 secs. If you're like some of the pros, you could do it in one second. But to get back to is a semi faster than a pump? You could compare some da revolver shooters to semi auto shooters, Most are not faster. But there are more than you would think, that are faster, even with reloads. So the question lies, do you think you can manipulate a firearm quicker than mechanical advantage? For most folks no. But for those that practice and believe they can, do.

As for your first question, if money was a factor: You can easily see now, you can apply the question, do I want to win?

You know, if your only firing 5 shots, the semi is going to win everytime against a pump. It's when you exceed 10 rounds, I think, is when they become "on par" with each other. Discounting speed loaders, and only shooting one round load, you could be competitive.

A semi will be faster & allow you to reacquire your targets faster. You'll also find that there's generally less recoil.
    That being said, I prefer a pump. I've been using one off & on for hunting for almost 50 years. I guess I just don't know any better. I like 870's, old Wingmasters to be more specific. They're really smooth operating guns.

(Lancaster County)

I would say semi.wife and I shot the combat shoot up at pine grove she used her FN SLP and I used my 870 that had been worked over by Vang Comp.on 1 to 3 targets there wasn't much differents but once you start haveing longer strings she beat me on every one.great shoot we're planning to go back next year.here's pic of her shooting a string of fire you can see how she is able to stay on target.crazywolf
    Last edited by crazywolf; June 28th, 2012 at 07:51 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast