Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Suggestions for a First time hunter

Hello everyone, I'm new here,

Just looking for some suggestions as I am looking to hunt this year for my first time. No one in my family hunts so I am going it alone, so any help would be appreciated. I've shot guns before, even going on an Elk hunt this December in CO with my wifes uncle who is former fish and game. I've just never gone out to hunt here before, where is a good place for someone new, you know I don't want to get in the way of the seasoned veterans thats all. Thanks in advance

(Beaver County)

Default Re: Suggestions for a First time hunter

the best place to start is taking a hunter safety course to allow safety of yourself n others pa game commision website will tell u the when and where the next one. after u do that i would love to help u.
    walk by faith not by sight

(Monroe County)

your first task is to get a license (take the Hunters Safety Course)

Then you need to find land to hunt with deer on it... thats going to be the really hard part
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

Sorry I should have said this at the onset, I have taken the safety course, and I am going hunting for Elk this winter, I just have the advantage of seasoned hunters with me when I go out there. Here in PA is a different story, its one thing to go out hunting with someone who's done it for years and another to go out on your own. I am not really concerned about what happens afterwards, if I were to get a deer, its going out, handling the situation and certainly making sure I'm not shooting somewhere thats unsafe.

(Chester County)

Read as much as you can on the subject of deer hunting. Go online and find books that specifically cater to PA deer hunting. You'll find hunting deer in Pa to be a far cry from those canned TV hunting shows. Try hunting the State Game Lands and don't listen to those clowns who say SGL's suck. They only suck because those silver spoons who wind up hunting there usually come from having an exclusive spot to suddenly needing a place to hunt. Instead of welcming the chance to hunt SGL's they moan about it. I've hunted SGL's my whole life and have had some nice hunts on them. Sure, you 're going to see more people and less game, but so what its there and its for our enjoyment.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Poonie View Post
    Read as much as you can on the subject of deer hunting. Go online and find books that specifically cater to PA deer hunting. You'll find hunting deer in Pa to be a far cry from those canned TV hunting shows. Try hunting the State Game Lands and don't listen to those clowns who say SGL's suck. They only suck because those silver spoons who wind up hunting there usually come from having an exclusive spot to suddenly needing a place to hunt. Instead of welcming the chance to hunt SGL's they moan about it. I've hunted SGL's my whole life and have had some nice hunts on them. Sure, you 're going to see more people and less game, but so what its there and its for our enjoyment.
    I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth, but hunting SGLs can be aggravating or rewarding. I have seen of kindness and comradery hunting SGLs. However, I have seen more stupid, irresponsible, carless and inconsiderate hunters than the latter. I have had alot of hunts ruined by people that have no manners. I must say that you will also meet some great people. I gave it up a few years ago, but I just bought some property, so hopefully I will be by myself next year. While I don't share the optimism of the above poster, I will say this. If you are on the SGLs the first day, get as far away from everyone as you can. Stay away from used trails and roads. Don't get lost either. Bring a GPS and make sure you know how to use it. A map and compass is good too. Find a heavy pocket of thick brush or better yet a swamp. Give yourself about 50 to 75 yards of land between you and the swap/brush. Get there early!!! I used to get to my post about 5:45am depending on where I was hunting. You have to be early on the first few days and Sats because of the crowds. When everyone starts marching in around daylight, the deer will be smelling all sorts of stuff and will bee-line for cover. That's where you will be. Just hang out there ALL DAY. Eat your lunch in the woods. Alot of guys will be pushing deer around 10am to 2pm because they just can't sit. Have a great time. Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by geist262 View Post
    I used to get to my post about 5:45am depending on where I was hunting. You have to be early on the first few days and Sats because of the crowds. When everyone starts marching in around daylight, the deer will be smelling all sorts of stuff and will bee-line for cover. That's where you will be. Just hang out there ALL DAY. Eat your lunch in the woods. Alot of guys will be pushing deer around 10am to 2pm because they just can't sit. Have a great time. Good Luck.
    Thanks, I am certainly a morning person so I planned on posting up early and sticking it out in the woods all day. I don't think a better place exists to hang out all day than in the woods somewhere

(Centre County)

Ask around, friends that may hunt, guys at work, etc. Many people won't say they hunt because of the political climate where they work, but if they find out you are interested, they may find you and start talking hunting/fishing, etc. From that you can tell them your problem and you may find that you may get invited on a hunt.

Or once you figure out where you want to hunt, go and get good topographic maps of the areas (good outdoor/hiking/camping stores should have them or you can order on line from the US Geological Service), then go on line and you can find the borders of the state game lands/public lands to transpose to the maps (the maps should show this also). Then you will have your reference material to go along with your GPS or compass to map out where to go.

DO NOT FORGET to tell someone (or more than one) where you are going and when you should be back so that if, God forbid, something happens, the searchers will know an approximate location to start looking. Also, if going out alone, in any area (whether or not you are familiar with the area) go to Gander MT, Bass Pro, Cabelas, etc. and buy an inexpensive clip on your belt basic survival kit. If you never need it, then it is still money well spent.

Happy Hunting and good luck.

BTW, where in Colorado are you going to be hunting? When I have a chance, I normally hunt in the northwest, up around Steamboat Springs.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Pa is a big state. Have you decided where you want to treck off to yet?
    FUCK BIDEN

(Washington County)

What part of the state are you from? Never heard or North Whales?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast