Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Local Refinishing - Butler Co Area

im in the process of purchasing my fathers old Beretta model 21 "bobcat" as a Christmas present for my finance so she can use as a carry piece. the only rust i see is on the grip screws, however i would like to get it refinished for her, mabe even an accent color job (two tone red/black).

before we get off-topic, shes a small girl and a .22 caliber is all this lil one can handle so i dont need a "you should get her a....." reply. im just looking for somewhere local, or even someone local (any of you?) that does refinishing or custom color finishing in the pittsburgh or butler areas.

im VERY leary about sending off expensive items such as guns to someone or some company i dont know. i dont care how many people have had "no problems" with them; i just dont feel comfortable sending off a gun to bob smith in neverheardofhereville and hope that they dont steal my money and my gun. id rather have someone i know, or at least know where, do it. if theres a problem at least i can handle it personally.

Default Re: Local Refinishing - Butler Co Area

hightech handguns(or maybe its hightech supply?) on rt.19 in mccandless does duracoat, he did the rail on one of my AR's and while a simple job all turned out good. They are always a tad more expensive than most, and i'm not sure duracoat would be my first choice on a carry gun but it's a local refinish.

Mahovskys could be a good option for you, their metalife finish is good stuff, they are in PA, and within driving distance from butler(though i doubt you'll have the need). Don't rule out sending it back to beretta either, while i've never dealt w/ them personally most gun manufacturers and very fair w/ work like that.

(Montgomery County)

I don't know of any local companys.

If you can't find one and decide to send it somewhere, I would recommend checking out CCR Refinishing http://www.ccrrefinishing.com/

They refinished a P226 for me a few years back and did an outstanding job. I've since put over 7K rounds through it and the finish looks just as good as it did when I first got the gun back from them.

If you decide that you are interested, I can post some before and after pictures.

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

(Allegheny County)

I've had personal experience with this gunsmith. He does bluing and refinishing, extremely reasonable pricing. Evening hours only. He's extremely busy so you might have to be real patient with the finish date.

John Vincent
    Hallston Custom Machining
    248 Hallston Road
    Slippery Rock, Pa. 16057
    724-794-2577

Located off of Rt.8 just above 528 at the Old Stone House.
    "Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."
    -Gen. Douglas MacArthur

thanks for the replys guys.

xd45; im ashamed to admit this but i didnt do a very good search before posting this, because i caught your post in the hightech handguns thread; assuming i can get this gun off my father, which im a good con so i think i can manage, i might contact you, i was reading that you could help me avoid some idiot named jeff that works there? because if i do it for her, i might just get her the paint job she wants on it (because it is a present and would like it to be extra special)

blindref: i did see your 226 in the refinishing topic in another thread around here. they did do a great job on it. and if i did break down and send it off i would use them; but like i said im very leary about sending stuff out to places i dont know or never been to. dont like worrying about getting lost in the mail or whatnot.

(Allegheny County)

Bill Morio does Duracoat refinishing in the Russelton area. (He is directly next to The Shooters Bench.)

Although he does it from his home. He will media blast it clean, and does proper cleanup and prep work. I just picked up my shotgun from him today. (Rem 870 with the horrible factory silver / hammer tone powder coat... that peels off... instantly...)

He did it flat black and it's now a thing of beauty.

He's EXTREMELY friendly and does a lot of other odd job work as well. (Trigger work, stock refinishing, repair, custom scope mounts etc.)

He's a bit OCD in a good way. (Neat clean work, good edging, plugging the bore, even finish etc)

But if you need a sign out front, and a counter to drop your gun off, he's probably not what you are looking for. Although, he does just as good of work as anything else I have seen and his prices are fair. And the people at The Shooters Bench will vouch for him. He's also an 03 FFL. (C&R)

I know it's not exactly what you are looking for, but he's a good guy. Former Marine, wife and kid, easy to get along with, and does good work.

PM me if you want his #.

i dont need a sign out front; that does sound like something i wouldnt mind looking into; might be a month or so away before i arrange any of this, just wanted to know my options. anyways i feel safer having somewhere i can drive to and actually see the person. if i take my gun to joe smith and my gun suddenly disappers i can say ok well joe smith has it. not "123 anywhereville bumfuck, nj"; my distrust of unknown internet companys stems from a $300 loss i took on ebay when i bought something from someone i never seen before and never received my product and never got my money back. so i go through reputible companys... or at least somewhere i can walk into and go "uh buddy... about that product..."

so yes even private persons or mom n pop gunshops are fine by me. ill dig this topic back up when im ready and PM for more information.

Quote Originally Posted by Too-Tall View Post
    thanks for the replys guys.

xd45; im ashamed to admit this but i didnt do a very good search before posting this, because i caught your post in the hightech handguns thread; assuming i can get this gun off my father, which im a good con so i think i can manage, i might contact you, i was reading that you could help me avoid some idiot named jeff that works there? because if i do it for her, i might just get her the paint job she wants on it (because it is a present and would like it to be extra special)

blindref: i did see your 226 in the refinishing topic in another thread around here. they did do a great job on it. and if i did break down and send it off i would use them; but like i said im very leary about sending stuff out to places i dont know or never been to. dont like worrying about getting lost in the mail or whatnot.
    Any questions just let me know. They have odd hours and Walt, the guy who does the duracoat is only there on saturdays so what I usually do is call and see if walt is there, if he is i head on over otherwise wait till the next week.

He has also done atleast one other tomcat in .32 for a buddy of mine, it looked good.

Quote Originally Posted by XD45 View Post
    Any questions just let me know. They have odd hours and Walt, the guy who does the duracoat is only there on saturdays so what I usually do is call and see if walt is there, if he is i head on over otherwise wait till the next week.

He has also done atleast one other tomcat in .32 for a buddy of mine, it looked good.
    can he do something like this?

(paintshop pro representation of what id like to do)

color doesnt have to be exactly perfect; but two tone red/black. she loves red and wanted a two tone.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Too-Tall View Post
    can he do something like this?

(paintshop pro representation of what id like to do)

color doesnt have to be exactly perfect; but two tone red/black. she loves red and wanted a two tone.
    I can't speak for him but I'd see no reason why not