Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Somerset County)

Default Reciprocity while traveling

Not sure if this is the right subforum ... please move if it should be elsewhere.

I am going to be making a rather large road trip this year. My route will take me through PA -> WV -> KY -> TN -> AR -> MS -> AL -> TN -> VA -> WV -> PA

AL is listed as no reciprocity and MS as having ambiguity on the PAFOA Reciprocity page.
    There will be extended stops in AR and MS.

What I'm wondering if there's a decent comparison of the laws between the states where PA has reciprocity? (i.e. restaurant carry, printing rules, off limit facilities) I just be passing through AL so I'll transport according to federal standards and shouldn't be making any stops. (at most fuel) I already know the VA rule on OC only in restaurant's serving alcohol. I'm trying to find any other quirks like this to make sure I have no issues. (without trying to read and understand each states statutes)

Thanks!

Default Re: Reciprocity while traveling

A good place to start is www.handgunlaw.us They have a several-page synopsis of the laws related to CC in each state in .pdf format. It seems to be kept up to date very well. To be absolutely sure, you'd need to check with the appropriate government site (usually the attorney general) for each state. The handgunlaw synopsis will tell you where to look for this.

I added a Florida non-resident license to give me Delaware, Ohio, Mississippi. There are some surprising states where it is physically impossible for a PA resident to carry, like SC (don't honor PA or any non-resident license). Utah and VA are other common non-resident licenses but they require an investment in training class time and $$.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by donm View Post

I added a Florida non-resident license to give me Delaware, Ohio, Mississippi. There are some surprising states where it is physically impossible for a PA resident to carry, like SC (don't honor PA or any non-resident license). Utah and VA are other common non-resident licenses but they require an investment in training class time and $$.
    Since you Have a Florida non-resident and Florida now has reciprocity with South Carolina, does this cover you for SC?

Never mind, I see SC does not honor non-resident. Sorry, Helps to read first.
    Last edited by theo; September 23rd, 2009 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Italics added
    "The more people I meet, the more I like my dog."

(Lehigh County)

A good place to start is www.handgunlaw.us They have a several-page synopsis of the laws related to CC in each state in .pdf format. It seems to be kept up to date very well. To be absolutely sure, you'd need to check with the appropriate government site (usually the attorney general) for each state. The handgunlaw synopsis will tell you where to look for this.

^^^What he said^^^

I had a rather lengthy road trip myself a few months ago.(not as far as yours though) I went to www.opencarry.org and printed the laws/rules for each state I drove through on the trip. There is a link on each state page that will take you to www.handgunlaw.us for more information. After I printed each states laws/rules I put them in a binder with dividers for each state and highlighted all applicable passages for easier reference should I be stopped by a LEO. It turned out I didn't need to use them, but it made me more comfortable CC/OCing across state lines.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Delaware County)

Isn't it incredible? I have done the drive down to Houston many times, and I have all kinds of things I have printed out over the years in the glove box. 1 minute you are a Law abiding citizen, and in 1 stinking foot of travel you might be a criminal!! It kills me!!

Can you tell I have to travel to PRNJ?
    NRA Training Counselor, Chief Range Safety Officer, NRA Benefactor Member

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dannytheman View Post
    Isn't it incredible? I have done the drive down to Houston many times, and I have all kinds of things I have printed out over the years in the glove box. 1 minute you are a Law abiding citizen, and in 1 stinking foot of travel you might be a criminal!! It kills me!!

Can you tell I have to travel to PRNJ?
    I know what you mean. I just returned to my civilian job which is in NJ. I have been "mobilized" with the Pa Army National Guard for 25 months. I have been a "dis-armed" citizen working in NJ for almost a week and I hate leaving the house without my pistol every morning.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

In most states you can carry a loaded handgun openly on foot without any license, see http://www.opencarry.org/opencarry.html.

Further, in most states, you can carry a loaded handgun inside your vehicle without any license, either openly, concealed, or in the glove box, depending on each state's rules, see http://www.opencarry.org/travel.html.

So when you add your right to carry without a license, and your prvililedge to carry based upon state permit recognition, you can pretty much travel most of the US while armed