Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Rule10b5

(Mercer County)

Default Rule10b5

You posted that you bought a Nighthawk and from that post it obvious that you know about top end M1911s.
    Give me you thoughts on two of my "special M1911s"

thanks in advance

oracle
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Rule10b5

I'm not Rule but I had the opportunity to handle two Nighthawks back in June and I wasn't especially impressed. They're typical for a semi-custom 1911 but I didn't note much difference between them and examples of Wilson 1911's I've seen over the years. In fact, FWIW the Wilson's I've seen look more cosmetically refined. I'm sure you'll be pleased with its performance.

Now the valtro, that is the brainchild of John Jardine. For those that don't know, he is Armand Swenson's nephew and one of a handful of prominent 1911 gunsmiths who truly understands the geometry of Browning's design.

(Mercer County)

Tony:

The Nighthawk pictured is a Nighthawk Custom Vicker pistol and this one is well fitted and refined. Yes, performance is flawless and the only thing I have done to this pistol that is different from the picture is change the grips (just didn't get that warm and fuzzy feeling over those ugly grips.

Now the Valtro that another story. I had a long wait to get it after ordering it and now have a long wait for the new grips that are on order for it. This thing is a piece of art and beauty. When I first looking at it I thought it was done Heine.

oracle
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

(Schuylkill County)

Oracle your nighthawk is a fine example of what a 1911 should be. i have 2 Vickers customs and they are perfect. as for your Valtro, you are a lucky man, Swensons nephew is a fine 1911 builder he is a true master his uncle taught him well, i for one would never part wit my Swenson 1911, it was my dads and when he handed it to me for the first time, well lets just say the 1911 bug got me bad. i even carry it once in awhile. beautiful pistols they should outlast you and your kids.

(Chester County)

Wow, you have excellent taste; and you're more of a high end gun slut than I am.

I thought I had a problem because of buying a Nighthawk Talon and a P7M8. It's always nice to know there is someone with it worse.

The Vickers Tactical is simply awesome; the whole thing about the plunger tube being a part of the frame always struck me as really cool. I had one come unstaked once on a S&W 1911 -- very, very annoying. Can't happen on the tactical. The solid trigger is a nice touch, too though I don't care for the red dot. Good, solid dehorning like all of the Nighthawks. All around they're excellent guns. I saw a fellow at the range the other day with one. Owning a Nighthawk is kind of like a owning an unusual car or motorcycle or something -- you can spot another one a mile away and you always have something to chat with they guy about.

I go the other way than Tony on the Wilson v. Nighthawk debate (not surprising, given that I bought the Nighthawk). The comparable Wilson gun (to the Talon) is the CQB.

The checkering on the Nighthawks is superior, and hand done, while the CQB is machine checkered. And IIRC, the CQB doesn't have the back of the slide checkered (which is useless, anyway, but looks pretty cool). Also, the CQB (at least on paper) comes with a sub-4lb. trigger. I'm not really into that for a carry gun.

I only have two complaints about the Talon. First, like every other all steel 1911, it's too damn heavy. Sure, I still carry it, but I complain about the weight. I'm debating having them build me a titanium lower for it so I can use the steel for the range and competition, with the titanium for carry. Second, the PermaKote on the safety has chipped off in two tiny spots. I'll send it back to them for a fix up when I have time. Not a big deal, but annoying.

I can't say much about the Valtro, simply because everyone has said it better than I can. One of the top 1911s in the world. I know it sounds stupid, but the Swenson guns have always had an elegance to them; I'm not sure why, but they do. Smooth flowing lines and functionality all rolled into one. Jardine has whatever it is that Swenson had that allowed him to get that "look" that everyone loves about the guns. Something about the 1998 just makes me want to paw it.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(Susquehanna County)

Last edited by Maggy; October 20th, 2014 at 02:31 AM.