Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Journey

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: The Journey

Quote Originally Posted by synergy View Post
    As other have mentioned...there are other benefits to training, aside from a skill at arms to use in the event of a lethal force encounter. It can just be a lot of fun, too. I started to shoot IDPA because I wanted to practice some gunhandling techniques on the clock, and with a little more stress. I found out that I enjoy it now, and partake in it for the enjoyment just as much as the benefit to my defensive skill level.
    IDPA is fun, and gun games can be great practice as far as gun handling and marksmanship. Just dont confuse it with training, and dont pick up any bad habits.

The way IDPA rules work it encourages awful awful use of cover.

and shoot and no-shoots in the real world are a little more complex..........

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
    I don't disagree with taking classes just for the fun it but there is a strong undercurrent of desire to attend the "ultimate" training class with the "ultimate" instructor.

I think with allot of people it's actually an obsessive-compulsive disorder. In worst cases it's quite obvious that many seem to be looking forward to a Katrina event hitting their hometown just so they can jock up.

Apparently for some folks, defending oneself in the context of their current lifestyle is not enough of a challenge. I saw this sponsors ad on a gun forum banner that had the following message:

The Zombies are coming,

The Russians are coming,

The Liberals are coming,

Whatever your fear, get the gear.

This kind of thing plays right into people's (unfounded) fears. Fear of what, I have no idea.
    Isn't this true of the consumer society in general? Buy into the latest diet fad that will save you from diabetes / cancer / heart disease....more fun than going to the gym. Buy all new "green" light bulbs and call yourself an environmentalist, because it's more fun than giving up bottled water or other luxuries that come at an environmental cost. Terrorists coming to get you? Buy duct tape and 101 other survival things that you'll stash in a closet and won't be able to find when you need them.

People love a crisis if they can go shopping as a result.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    IDPA is fun, and gun games can be great practice as far as gun handling and marksmanship. Just dont confuse it with training, and dont pick up any bad habits.

The way IDPA rules work it encourages awful awful use of cover.

and shoot and no-shoots in the real world are a little more complex..........
    Really? I thought it was just like the real thing.

(Westmoreland County)

Lots of analogies here.

Sport climbing is much like IDPA, IPSC, and the like. While they certainly excel at fear inoculation they do not address real world situations. They teach some good techniques. Does technical climbing help you the kinds of of things most people climb in daily life? Most people do not buy the specialized gear. They do not use the specialized gear in daily life.

Same goes for molle gear, and various other combat items. Unless that is their normal mode of dress it does little to help hem in the real world. Do people wear it when making a sales call or studding up a wall? Not likely.

Gun fights, or any kind of fight, is a come as you are affair. You fight with what you have available at the time.

The purpose of most training is to teach the fundamentals that will enable a person to get through their next fight. We fight like we train. If someone trains with specialized gear they do not use in real life they are going to have to adapt what they know to what they have and the situation at hand. That takes time. It causes confusion. This is not the time to be confused.

As far as training protocols go, we tend to worship in the church we belong to. The first time someone trains and practices what they learn it is all they know. They have nothing else to compare it to. The next trainer adds to, modifies or supports the original information. Eventually, they find their way to what works for them.

A forum dedicated to training is an interesting idea. The question is who will rise to the top? Will those with the training and experience be respected or will they be shouted down by those armed with opinions and ideas found in cyberspace? It could be a useful tool if people are respectful and open minded.
    Never underestimate the value of early training.

(Clarion County)

Pitons . Half Dome , EL Capitan , you got me drooling ........!
    Commom sense , time vested and a value of life........!
    All the gadgetry out there will not help , good post Tony.......!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12