Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Is EZ Pass a hassle or not?

I thought I saw some mention of this here at one time, but our "search" function does not come up with it.

Am now considering getting an EZ pass for the convenience of not messing with change at the booths.

I hear that it does not work very well at times and there are violation letters sent out with hefty fees/fines.... even though the person had a valid transponder account. And then you have to waste time and postage fighting these... or trying to fight them

Is there any indication after passing thru an EZ pass lane that your transponder was accepted? Like a beep or a light or something?

Any good or bad experiences from folks here? Here's your chance to bash or praise EZ Pass!

Thanks.

Default Re: Is EZ Pass a hassle or not?

We had EZ Pass and didn't keep it. Too many times where the person in front of us either didn't take their ticket or the system was screwed up and didn't register our transponder. And yes, you're right to an extent, it can be a pain to fight them to clear fines, etc. And here's another thought: one less human being in the booths keeping a job the more people depend upon an already faulty system.

I refused for a long time to get it but now I have it and it's pretty good. except for the fact that in Jersey you just can't go to any booth. I made the mistake of going to exact change booth and then cleared it up later and that was a hassle.
    The answer to a fool is silence.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    1)I hear that it does not work very well at times and there are violation letters sent out with hefty fees/fines.... even though the person had a valid transponder account.

2)Is there any indication after passing thru an EZ pass lane that your transponder was accepted? Like a beep or a light or something?
    1)My son has gotten a violation letter because he does not have the ez pass on his window he just holds it up. I think he forgets sometimes. You just send in the letter they send you with a response you have ez pass, then they will tell you that it has been taken care of.

2) When you go thru the toll both, a green light will come on and tell you "Paid". If your account is getting low, it will say that also. I link mine to my credit card, so it automatically replenishes.

I like it cause you bypass the long lines and no fumbling for change.

I don't like it because of "Big Brother", but I will keep until things get real bad.
    "The more people I meet, the more I like my dog."

(Delaware County)

Best thing ever for travel.

No lines at tollbooths. This alone saves massive time

I've had one missed read--they send you a letter in the mail with a photo of your plate.

All you do is check the box--yes I have an account, and then write in the transponder/account number.

I always leave room between my truck and the vehicle in front of me just in case they get photographed.

I'll never be without it.

(Perry County)

The wife and I have had EZ-Pass for about a year. We haven't had any problems with it yet. I'm not crazy about the idea that it puts people out of work, but I reconcile that in my head by thinking about how much $$$ those toll booth operators supposedly make and I feel a little less bad.

I think that you have to link it to either a CC or a checking account, so that when the funds get low it automatically replenishes.
    - I support Israel; "If guns kill people my pencil causes bad spelling."

I have had EZ-Pass since 1992 and have never once received an erroneous violation letter. Got a new tag in 2001 when the first one died...

eta: has saved me countless hours sitting in traffic, especially at the I-95 toll plazas in DE and MD, and the Harriman interchange in NY.
    Last edited by ehidle; September 23rd, 2009 at 04:51 PM.

(Montgomery County)

unless you're paranoid it's great. I want to bitch slap those holdingup traffic and backing up in the easy pass lane! There isn't a good reason not to have it unless you think .gov is tracking your every move but then again plate recognition already applies to you whenever you go through a booth anyhow so don't take toll roads if you wear tin foil hats. I had two violations they both were taken care of with a five minute phone call

I've been using it all up and down the east coast for five years now, from southern VA to MA. I've never had a problem, and we have called up to add other cars to our account temporarily if one of us is traveling with a relative in one of their cars. I'm sure other people have had problems, since nothing is ever trouble free, but it has been that way for us so far.

(Bucks County)

When it was introduced in NJ I worked for a trucking company and it was a real pain. I had 6 company tractors and about 8 owner operators w/ their own. NJ skimpped and only installed the rear cameras so the trailer license got pictured & I had to go and track down who had it; company guy or owner operator.

NJ DMV came to Motor Truck and told us how to respond to the violations by adding the owner's account # and transponder # plus we had to write on what exit we entered the TPK so they would charge the account the amount they used instead of the whole way to/from the most distant end.

My owner operators got on board and gave me their info so I could respond. The payback was I always stated they got on one exit away from the exit where the unit showed the violation, a savings for all of us as the truck tolls are much higher.

Later I decided to get it for my personal use as I got tired of sitting in the cash lanes going/coming from work. I fgured I lost 5 min on each leg of my trip and it proved helpful driving on college trips to Gettysburg on the PA turnpike too. I have never had any false readings.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast