Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Pa . sportsman's firearm license??

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post
    Thanks guys,

Anyone know what the cost is usually?
    Here in Monroe county it could take 45 days usually does for the LTCF, i want to go hunting in October, so i want to get the Hunting permit first . So i need to bring my DL and HL?

Thanks guys ,

Nyman
    Title 18

§6106. Firearms not to be carried without a license.

(c) Sportsman's firearm permit.—

(1) Before any exception shall be granted under paragraph (b)(9) or (10) of this section to any person 18 years of age or older licensed to hunt, trap or fish or who has been issued a permit relating to hunting dogs, such person shall, at the time of securing his hunting, furtaking or fishing license or any time after such license has been issued, secure a sportsman's firearm permit from the county treasurer.

The sportsman's firearm permit shall be issued immediately and be valid throughout this Commonwealth for a period of five years from the date of issue for any legal firearm, when carried in conjunction with a valid hunting, furtaking or fishing license or permit relating to hunting dogs. The sportsman's firearm permit shall be in triplicate on a form to be furnished by the Pennsylvania State Police.

The original permit shall be delivered to the person, and the first copy thereof, within seven days, shall be forwarded to the Commissioner of the Pennsylvania State Police by the county treasurer. The second copy shall be retained by the county treasurer for a period of two years from the date of expiration. The county treasurer shall be entitled to collect a fee of not more than $6 for each such permit issued, which shall include the cost of any official form. The Pennsylvania State Police may recover from the county treasurer the cost of any such form, but may not charge more than $1 for each official permit form furnished to the county treasurer.

(2) Any person who sells or attempts to sell a sportsman's firearm permit for a fee in excess of that amount fixed under this subsection commits a summary offense.

(Centre County)

Also remember, with just a Sportsman Permit you can only carry concealed from the moment you leave your vehicle until you arrive back to the vehicle. It does not give you the right to carry in a vehicle (other than when hunting) or anywhere else, only while hunting. If you open carry, you don't have to have the permit, but most want to carry concealed to help protect the gun during inclement weather or when going through thick rough terrain.
    Last edited by Xringshooter; September 24th, 2009 at 08:18 AM.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    Also remember, with just a Sportsman Permit you can only carry concealed from the moment you leave your vehicle until you arrive back to the vehicle. It does not give you the right to carry in a vehicle (other than when hunting) or anywhere else, only while hunting. If you open carry, you don't have to have the permit, but most want to carry concealed to help protect the gun during inclement weather or when going through thick rough terrain.
    You need to abide by the unlicensed carry regulations, without a LTCF or sportsmens permit you can't drive from home to your favorite hunting location, pull your firearm out and OC to hunt.

When I go to camp, I can transport my firearm [home to vacation home] and can OC if I walk away from the cabin to hunt. I can't get back in my truck and drive over the ridge to my favorite spot and pull it out and load up and OC.

If you don't have the time to get a LTCF due to the amount of time your county takes, go get the sportsmens permit, it is instant and cheap. With your hunting/fishing license you can then carry your firearm, unloaded, as you drive to the place where you want to hunt/fish and carry it OC/CC while you hunt/fish/train your hunting dog.

(Monroe County)

That clears it up a lot more, Thanks Guys.

Nyman

(Erie County)

Sorry for asking but I can't find it anywhere, and the laws are not very clear. It looks like you need to have a Sportsman's Firearm Permit to go hunting with a gun. Does anyone know if this is correct? Sorry if the question seems strange but I move to PA this spring and wanted to go hunting this fall, but I want to be legal.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rendonred View Post
    Sorry for asking but I can't find it anywhere, and the laws are not very clear. It looks like you need to have a Sportsman's Firearm Permit to go hunting with a gun. Does anyone know if this is correct? Sorry if the question seems strange but I move to PA this spring and wanted to go hunting this fall, but I want to be legal.
    Not correct. You need a LTCF -or- a sportsmens permit to transport your firearm [NOTE: Not a long gun] in a vehicle. If you walk out your back door and don't conceal, you can carry a revolver and hunt with it. You don't need anything besides a hunting license to hunt w/ a long gun.

(Jefferson County)

You only need a Sportsmans Permit if you conceal the firearm while hunting, fishing, trapping, or dog training. Or if you transport that firearm in a vehicle to your sporting destination.

PA is not like other states that require a handgun stamp to hunt with a handgun. You only need a LTCF, a reciprocal license, or a Sportsmans Permit if conceal it while doing one of the sporting activities, or transport it in a vehicle. If you have a LTCF or a reciprocal license you do not need the Sportsmans Permit.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Washington County)

with a sportsmans permit you can only carry a handgun in a caliber lawful in that season .for example small game- .23 cal or smaller revolver or singleshot.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by bubba15301 View Post
    with a sportsmans permit you can only carry a handgun in a caliber lawful in that season .for example small game- .23 cal or smaller revolver or singleshot.
    I dont think so.. Then what are the lawful calibers for fishing? ...fishing is a lawful activity covered with a Sportsmans Permit.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    I dont think so.. Then what are the lawful calibers for fishing? ...fishing is a lawful activity covered with a Sportsmans Permit.
    A search of the PA fishing regs failed to find any reference to handguns or the sportsman's license. As far as hunting goes, only weapons legal for hunting may be carried ( no semi-autos)
    Skip Griffith, Korean War Vet, OH & PA CCW

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast