Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Exclamation Feds charge Philadelphia gun dealer

PHILADELPHIA - A Philadelphia gun dealer that has been the target of religious activists is now charged in federal court with making false statements and failing to keep records required by law.

The U.S. Attorney's Office announced charges against Colosimo's Inc. after business hours Tuesday. A man who answered the phone at the business said "What can I say?" to a reporter seeking comment and eventually hung up. Owner James Colosimo has previously said he follows all laws in his business.

Activists have targeted Colosimo's because of the number of guns sold there that end up being used in crimes. The owner has said that's to be expected from a high-volume dealership like his. He has said he believes he has saved lives by selling guns to police departments.
    Link

Ive never even been in there.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Feds charge Philadelphia gun dealer

Once again the law abiding citizens are being singled out. These religious figures should be in the neighborhoods of the criminals everyday. That is where they are most needed.

Of course now they can't defend themselves because they can not legally get a gun from the gun shop they shut down.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by thefirstndsecond View Post
    Once again the law abiding citizens are being singled out. These religious figures should be in the neighborhoods of the criminals everyday. That is where they are most needed.

Of course now they can't defend themselves because they can not legally get a gun from the gun shop they shut down.
    How are they law abiding if they are failing to keep the required records?

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
    How are they law abiding if they are failing to keep the required records?
    I certainly would not take what the ATF alleges as gospel. "Failing to keep" is a lot different that not completing properly. There are a bunch of cases that the ATF has screwed up. Here is some information on them. http://www.atfabuse.com/enter.html

Be safe (and don't trust them as far as you can throw them).

Scott

(Bucks County)

I know this place. Known as an easy place to make a straw purchase. At least it used to be before all the publicity.

(Philadelphia County)

I hate Colosimo's. It's shady and grimy. When I bought my first gun 2 years ago and went there for ammo, they charged me $30 for a box of 9mm FMJ. I didn't know better, came home and checked online: $6.95 at Dick's for the same. I have never set foot in there since. But...

We don't know the whole story based on a few lines of "news". It seems that the place has been a target for all kinds of things because they do have the highest rate of the source for illegal guns. My guess is that the crowd that the place attracts is more proned to be straw-purchasers. Still, it's NOT Colosimo's place to fight, err against, or investigate straw purchasing. This goes for all FFL dealers/shops. As long as they follow procedures and have the appropriate papers, they are just as good as any dealers when it comes to legality.

Gun owners keep saying "enforce the existing laws instead of passing new one". This is what it is. I for one support these kinds of investigations and enforcement. Now, if the allegation is true, that they fail to keep adequate records as required, it opens a whole new can of worms. It's a convenient excuse to make illegal gun sales possible. Whatever the case is, let the ATF argue in court. If the shop is convicted of wrong-doing, they MUST be punished. That's what law-abiding mean, not some arbitrary opinion by one of us here. If it's proven that they are not, then we can be vocal about it.

Al

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by SP_LEEK View Post
    I know this place. Known as an easy place to make a straw purchase. At least it used to be before all the publicity.
    Do you know all the best places to make a straw purchase or was this your only source?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    Do you know all the best places to make a straw purchase or was this your only source?
    Nah, I know a few others. And business is a boomin'

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by thefirstndsecond View Post

Sorry, I'm as strong a second amendment supporter as anyone, but if he is illegally and knowingly selling to straw purchasers, he should be prosecuted. If they have the evidence and can prove their case, let them do it and let's put an end to this. The religious protesters can go screw themselves, I agree, but the U.S. Attorney's case is something else again.

(Philadelphia County)

I stopped in there the other day for the first time on the way to dropping off my LTCF application. There were people with "Guns Kill" signs outside... didn't say a word to me though. Damn how I wish they had...

All I can say is this; overpriced guns, no accessories (didn't even see holsters there), that was my first & last visit. It is quite obvious who the customer base is going to be since the shop is down the way... the only way they're going to improve their ratio of guns not ending up in crimes is to GTFO of Dodge, so to speak.
    Just because 'perfect' is impossible does not mean we should settle for 'broken'.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast