Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Monroe County)

Default ~ FAL Know-Nothing Seeks Random Information on Newly Acquired Item

Hello: Posted below are some pictures of an item recently acquired. The rifle is an FN FAL type in 7.62 NATO. It is an Austrian STG kit built upon a Century Arms marked receiver. Better informed persons have stated that this "widows peak" type receiver is actually an IMBEL manufactured component. Are there any specific markings, codes or features to verify the maker of the receiver?

Within the magazine well, there is etched or maybe stamped, the word "METRIC". A number of the original Austrian STG parts have numbers that match. In my limited knowledge, the flash hider appear to be original for an STG-58 FAL. All in all, it is at the least, a cool looking battle rifle.

The carry handle is not present. Would anybody know how a replacement handle might mount within that slot?

Any info is much appreciated. Thanks in advance . . .

Default Re: ~ FAL Know-Nothing Seeks Random Information on Newly Acquired Item

get thee to the FALfiles!

1. does it run?
    2. in my experience, FAL's are the most ammo-tolerant of the big 3 - G3, FAL and M14-type weapons.
    they DO NOT like soft-point ammo, it hangs up on the feed ramps
    most cost-effective ammo designed for the FAL is South African surplus.
    most accurate surplus ammo designed for the FAL is Radway Green.
    mine also likes American Eagle 150's, but they don't shoot any better than Radway's...
    Indian surplus FROM the 70's is OKAY, but avoid 80's and 90's production. difference is, in the 70's the Brits supervised production.
    3. not a particularly accurate rifle, but more accurate than an AK. expect 2"-4" groups at 100 yards. they are more accurate when loaded by hand, not off the magazine (I can't remember why) and are prone to vertical "stringing" as the barrel gets hot.
    Bill Springfield does trigger jobs for a reasonable price (~$50?). i am not the beneficiary of one but they are spoken well of
    4. best magazines you can get are from DSA. many are almost new (when in stock).
    5. STG's didn't have a bayonet, so don't bother looking for one.
    6. if you want to scope it, DSA makes toprail mounts that replace the topcover and bolt securely. if you want to go retro, buy a SUIT scope (made for inch-pattern rifles) and cut the tabs off the back. it's an early version of an Acog. mounts aren't super strong since they are on a dustcover.
    7. you will soon find the bipod is useless except for pics, those front handguards get HOT and your hand slips on the pistol grip. i am partial to T48 handguards, but they may expose a portion of your piston. I like SAW-type pistol grips. Pelican furniture is ok and economical, but sooner or later you may want DSA furniture.
    8. parts count. assuming you don't know who built it, you should try to get 922 compliance. handguards will get you 3 parts, trigger control group i believe another 3, and then maybe you want a US-made flash hider? a DSA-made safety is also recommended but does not give you anything in a parts count (looks like you MAY have one).
    9. hopefully, you got an Austrian barrel. they are supposed to be top-notch
    10. sight picture can be improved with a M16A2-style rear sight called a "para" sight. DSA has them for maybe $70? may mess with your elevation a little bit, but worth it. stock rear sight can be "wobbly"
    11. shoot it, and clean it more often than they dude in Texas who owns "Old Dirty"
    Last edited by chauncey; September 21st, 2009 at 07:57 PM.

(Allegheny County)

(Montgomery County)

For the carry handle, first take off the hand guards. You'll need to remove the gas plug (in front of front sight) The piston is spring loaded, so remove the plug slowly. Next, you'll need to unscrew the gas nut (right in front of the charging handle on the gas tube) and slide it toward the muzzle. Add your carry handle, and put everything back together.