Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Renewal of LTCF

(Montgomery County)

Thumbs up Renewal of LTCF

It was time to renew my LTCF, for the 4 time. (20 years) .My current was to expire at the end of the month. I went down to the Court House in Norristown around lunch time .Was scanned by the metal detector,and proceeded to the Sheriff's Department Gun Permit Office. I completed the required paper work to start the process.Provided my two contact people. The LEO then told me that the PICS was downs most of the morning but was willing to call me on my cell when it was up and running. I said no problem and told him that I had a Dr.appointment @1pm and I was going to catch something to eat. I received a phone call on my cell phone about 20 mins later. Went back to the Gun permit department . Smiled for the camera, Paid my $ 46.00 to the Montco Dept of Revenue and received my new LTCF. Still the best $46.00 a person could spend. Overall the LEO's down in that department were really nice . BTW there were like 4 or 5 people doing paperwork when I left.
    Discipline without freedom is tyranny. Freedom without discipline is chaos.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Renewal of LTCF

sounds good. i gotta renew mine coming up in february. i hope lancaster offers the plastic cards. i cant stand the paper ones.

(Chester County)

I got my plastic card through the Chester county sheriff's office. I had the option to go paper for $25, or plastic for $46. I opted for the plastic card. Don't want to worry about say producing a paper copy to a cop 3 years from now only to find out its faded, and torn, and illegible. It would be one thing if I could have laminated it, but the sheriff told me explicitly that you are not allowed to laminate the paper copy, which to me is ridiculous. Plus, its the size of the old hunting license which means you have no choice but to fold it up to fit in your wallet, thus allowing for rips and tears.

I wish ours took 15 minutes like alot of people are saying, but I had to wait 3 weeks to get it. At least they sent it right to my home, and didn't do like delco used to do, where you'd get the letter saying you were approved, "now come and get it".....which was a hassle.

One thing I like about Chesco though is you can download the forms from their website, fill them out, thn take them to the courthouse. Saves alot of time that way. Our sheriff's were cool too. I took my young son with me and he was deputized and given a badge and everything. He was smiling as we left the place. Plus I got a free trigger lock, not that I will ever use it. Will probably give it to my son to use to lock his bike up or somehting.

(Indiana County)

I opted for the plastic card. Don't want to worry about say producing a paper copy to a cop 3 years from now only to find out its faded, and torn, and illegible.
    I have a plastic one. Guess what? The picture is smudged some three years later (my wallet went through the washing machine). Nope, the plastic license is rarely out of its plastic carrying case.
    It would be one thing if I could have laminated it, but the sheriff told me explicitly that you are not allowed to laminate the paper copy, which to me is ridiculous.
    Not only is it ridiculous, HE LIED!

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Poonie View Post
    I got my plastic card through the Chester county sheriff's office. I had the option to go paper for $25, or plastic for $46. I opted for the plastic card. Don't want to worry about say producing a paper copy to a cop 3 years from now only to find out its faded, and torn, and illegible. It would be one thing if I could have laminated it, but the sheriff told me explicitly that you are not allowed to laminate the paper copy, which to me is ridiculous. Plus, its the size of the old hunting license which means you have no choice but to fold it up to fit in your wallet, thus allowing for rips and tears.

I wish ours took 15 minutes like alot of people are saying, but I had to wait 3 weeks to get it. At least they sent it right to my home, and didn't do like delco used to do, where you'd get the letter saying you were approved, "now come and get it".....which was a hassle.

One thing I like about Chesco though is you can download the forms from their website, fill them out, thn take them to the courthouse. Saves alot of time that way. Our sheriff's were cool too. I took my young son with me and he was deputized and given a badge and everything. He was smiling as we left the place. Plus I got a free trigger lock, not that I will ever use it. Will probably give it to my son to use to lock his bike up or somehting.

He is spewing a crock of bullshit.. You know why he says that dontcha? To protect the racket he's got going on with charging $46 for what other counties are charging $25 for.. I'm sure that extra $21 helps make his budget a little fatter with each contribution.

A laminated paper LTCF is just as good as a plastic card.. If anything, it is "more legal"** since it is the actual PSP approved document, where as the plastic card is only a representation of being licensed.

**Gunlawyer001 and you other lawyers need not jump me for that, ...its early and I couldn't think of a better set of words.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    He is spewing a crock of bullshit.. You know why he says that dontcha? To protect the racket he's got going on with charging $46 for what other counties are charging $25 for.. I'm sure that extra $21 helps make his budget a little fatter with each contribution.

A laminated paper LTCF is just as good as a plastic card.. If anything, it is "more legal"** since it is the actual PSP approved document, where as the plastic card is only a representation of being licensed.

**Gunlawyer001 and you other lawyers need not jump me for that, ...its early and I couldn't think of a better set of words.
    Well that may be the case, I don't know, but I'm not about to call the Sheriff a liar. That would sit real well with them while reviewing my application for renewal of my LTCF. Besides, how was I supposed to know this?

(York County)

but the sheriff told me explicitly that you are not allowed to laminate the paper copy
    The $21 LIE ! ! ! !

Of course, as others have mentioned in the past, you could have kept the original at home and simply 'downsized a copy' which you then laminate and keep in your wallet....

Similar to a driver's license, you must be licensed but actually not-carrying the card is NOT an offense.... but you might have to produce it at some time later...

... Stay Safe ...
    ID

(Jefferson County)

Well that may be the case, I don't know, but I'm not about to call the Sheriff a liar. That would sit real well with them while reviewing my application for renewal of my LTCF. Besides, how was I supposed to know this?
    You don't have to call him a liar, just laminate it anyways. If he tries to give you any shit that infringes on your rights, that's what lawyers are for.

(Jefferson County)

I'll call him a liar for you.. lol

In the future though, if you cant afford the $46 rip-off price, the $25 paper card can be copied, reduced, folded, then laminated for like a couple dollars or less.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    I'll call him a liar for you.. lol

In the future though, if you cant afford the $46 rip-off price, the $25 paper card can be copied, reduced, folded, then laminated for like a couple dollars or less.

ok now that i know that i might just get the paper one. i have never had to show mine to a cop but some other friends have told me i should have laminated it. my current one has the usual wear and tear. nothing major tho. i might stay on the safe side and photo copy the next one and keep the issued one in the safe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast