Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default reloading an accuracy

I am reloading .45 ACP usually with Clays at about 3.8 -4.0 gr with a 200 SWC or FN (both plated) out of my Taurus 1911. At about 7 yds they are spot on accurate with small groupings but when I move it back to 10 or 15 yds maybe one out of eight hit the black. Would a hotter or lighter load be more accurate? Also I used a caliper to seat the bullets to prescribed depth which also matched my factory bought ones I have, would a deeper seating help since the pressure will be greater? I also see the same thing with my .38spl loads with Clays in my Ruger GP100 using 148 gr. WC and 158 gr. SWC (plated) where the accuracy falls off as the target moves away. What can be done to have accuracy at different yardages?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: reloading an accuracy

I don't think it is a firearm problem, more likely caused by the shooter. As distance increases sight picture, trigger control and alignment become more critical.

Jeff
    NRA Benefactor member
    NRA 2nd Amendment Foundation
    Colt Collectors Association
    Browning Collectors Association
    Sharps Arms Collectors Association
    SASS Association

SANS PEUR et SANS REPROACHE

(Susquehanna County)

Most .45 ACP target loads are 185 gr. or 200 gr. SWC bullets at around 750 fps. What powder gets them to that speed isn't that important. A task built bullseye .45 will shoot 1 1/2" to 3" groups from a machine rest at 50 yards and there's many a bullseye shooter that will cut the x ring out of the rapid fire target at 25 yards. Your untuned Taurus won't do that well, but it should be able to hold the black at 25 or 50 yards if you do your part. Go here http://www.bullseyepistol.com/ and read what they offer including the USAMU Pistol Guide. Then practice the basics. You'll gain much more respect for the capabilities of your pistol.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Luzerne County)

I would tend to agree with the others that it is probably shooter error. I know that I personally can't shoot better than my ammo, so to speak. When I shoot pistols unsupported, I know that my groupings aren't because my ammo isn't accurate. It's my own fault. Now, with a scoped rifle, I can definitely outshoot a lot of ammo, especially factory ammo.

If you're looking for a more accurate round, though. I have gotten best results in a .45 ACP using 230 gr FMJ with 4.4 gr IMR 700-X, that was out of a colt WWII reproduction 1911. I also find that if accuracy is an issue (not specifically with this caliber), I first use less powder, rather than more (assuming you're not already at the starting grains), and that will often clear things up... though sometimes a certain gun/powder/bullet combination will never work well.
    loose≠lose; you're=you are; 'your' shows possession.