Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

(Lancaster County)

Smile The Trop Gun Shop - Elizabethtown

Did anybody go there last week for their anniversary sale? I'd not been there for 3 or 4 months, and decided to check it out since I was passing right by there on business. I was going there simply to LOOK.

Anyways, I spotted an SKS leaning against a corner and asked to look at it. It was a beautiful Russian SKS, marked $199. I asked if there was a discount on that particular rifle, and was told that it would be 10% off.

Needless to say, I bought it. It was $195. out the door, which I regard as an EXCELLENT deal on a Russian SKS (1952 Tula, rearsenaled but with all matching #'s).

top gun shop
    Last edited by danp; October 27th, 2011 at 02:37 PM.

Trops is starting to creep up on their prices...I only bought a handful of items from them.

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: The Trop Gun Shop - Elizabethtown

I used to frequent them when I returned to PA in 2003, but I sorta wore out my welcome...when I returned to PA from TN I was getting geared up to get my CCW and I asked alot of questions and I seemed to get on their nerves; I would also ask that a gun get held for me here or there and the older gentleman in the handgun section got tired of doing that saying that I needed to be sure of what I wanted before I came in--> I'm thinkin to myself...how in the he#@ am I gonna know what I want before I come in and see what the shop has?!?; I stopped buying firearms and would go infrequently for ammunition, cleaning supplies, and accessories...they'll take my money but not go out of their way to serve me...my average wait timewas 20 minutes or longer since certain individuals disappear in the back when I got close to the handgun counter and I would have to get one of the guys on the front counter to chase the handgun guy out of the back; when I finally hit my fill of their games, I stopped going since they don't like 'high maintenance' customers

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by kmrcstintn View Post
    I used to frequent them when I returned to PA in 2003, but I sorta wore out my welcome...when I returned to PA from TN I was getting geared up to get my CCW and I asked alot of questions and I seemed to get on their nerves; I would also ask that a gun get held for me here or there and the older gentleman in the handgun section got tired of doing that saying that I needed to be sure of what I wanted before I came in--> I'm thinkin to myself...how in the he#@ am I gonna know what I want before I come in and see what the shop has?!?; I stopped buying firearms and would go infrequently for ammunition, cleaning supplies, and accessories...they'll take my money but not go out of their way to serve me...my average wait timewas 20 minutes or longer since certain individuals disappear in the back when I got close to the handgun counter and I would have to get one of the guys on the front counter to chase the handgun guy out of the back; when I finally hit my fill of their games, I stopped going since they don't like 'high maintenance' customers
    A friend of mine called them a few weeks back to ask them some questions about a handgun they had on the used lists on their website. The guy he talked to was rahter short with him and generally acted like his time was being wasted.

I like Trops, but if they don't change their ways in the realm of customer service I'm afraid they're going to find themselves out of business if a big box like Gander Mountain or the like move in nearby. Then they'll be yet another local shop crying about getting run out of business by the big chain stores when the fact is nobody liked dealing with them.

If they're prices are really creeping up then I'm afraid this process has already started.

(Lancaster County)

I have to agree that they really act like they are doing you a favor just talking tio you and then only briefly. I like Kinsey's Outdoors not far from them (the other side of Rt 283). Unfortunately the GM at Kinsey's as well as the owner gave me the same poor attitude over 2 FFL transfers which I ended up taking elsewhere cheaper) but the guys like Jim, Blair and Brad in the Firearms section are good guys and really do help. Also the prices seem better than Trop.
    --------------------
    Wayne

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag, carrying a cross." Sinclair Lewis 1935
    ---------------

(Lebanon County)

The folks at Trop seem to have the attitude that they've been there forever and won't be going anywhere soon. Unless you're buying a $1000 Remchesterby they don't have time to trifle with you.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    Trops is starting to creep up on their prices...I only bought a handful of items from them.
    Aren't all prices creeping up? Aren't we involved in a war? Aren't fuel prices going up weekly? Isn't China buying much of our raw materials? WAKE UP!

(Lancaster County)

I've have been to Trop twice in the past two weeks so I thought I would offer my dichotomous experiences;

About two weeks ago I went to Trop. I had known about the store but had never been since it's a 30 mile drive. When I walked in, there were 3 guys behind the counter talking amongst themselves. I nodded and said hi, but they didn't acknowledge my existence. I looked around for about 10 minutes but there was no one in the hundgun department. When I left, the same three guys were talking at the front counter and obviously didn't want to be bothered by customers. At that point I never intended to go back.

Today I was looking for a new IWB holster and started calling dealers. Trop was the only place that had anything in stock, so I decided to give them another shot. This time it was a whole different experience. A guy named Larry was working in the handgun department. He was very friendly, extremely helpful, and manage to find exactly what I needed.

I'm not sure what to think about this. The level of customer service appears to change with the wind, or perhaps with the employees on duty. It's a very nice store with a good selection of guns and supplies. If I thought I had just witnessed some massive shift in their attitude toward customer service, I would certainly go back again. As it is, the jury is still out.

BTW, normally I frequent The Sportsman's Shop in New Holland. They don't have the best prices, but they're nice folks with a decent selection. I've always found them give the highest trade prices.

(Lancaster County)

Curious because Larry is the reason I do not go to Trop. Three times a problem and I am out.

(Lebanon County)

I have not been nice to Trop on here before, but I discovered a middle ground in dealing with the 'fluctuating' customer service from visit to visit...stand my ground by being tactful, yet firm; if I don't get the howdy at the door, I do my browsing and when I want assistance, I approach the counter with a firm hello and 'can I get help with...' or 'could you show me...'

I have purchased a firearm or two since my problematic encounters; this opened a 'swinging door' of mutual respect...you treat me positively neutral and you'll get my dollars...but you will tolerate my inquiries and service me like a customer; if you treat me like crap or ignore me when I go in for only ammunition*, cleaning, supplies, etc and take a higher paying customer and I leave the crap at the door and I exit...this happened once and someone proceeded to inquire why I was leaving the store and explained that the customer he was waiting on had been in and out several times after comparing prices/products with another sporting goods shop that is less than 1 mile away (Kinsey's Outdoors) and that he promised to take good care of him (I got an acceptable explanation...which is as best as an apology as could be expected from this guy -- I'm not his favorite customer, he's not my favorite sales associate); I picked up my stuff, and went to the handgun area to be checked out after another customer handgun purchase was being completed...there was a personal lesson here for me...

I must have had alot of crap on my mind and was wearing blinders and I wanted to get in and get out...after going back and checking out at the handgun counter, I took a look around...everybody was busy with someone and I got in line between completion of background check and final purchase of someone who was getting stuff from all over the store (this was my first attempt to check out at the front counter)...I realized that I often do that when I remember a last minute item or two...that day the problem was with me, not the store

long story short...go in with a better attitude, don't expect miracles, learn to be patient and tolerant when things aren't moving quick enough, and just maybe I leave the store with a neutral experience rather than wanting to bitch about getting treated badly...

* the ammunition I got on this trip was something that only Trop carries in stock -- Remington CoreLokt .357 Magnum 165 gr jhp -- this is my dad's preferred hunting ammo for his S&W 686 and I was refreshing his stock and getting a box to trial in my Marlin 1894C (.357 magnum lever action) which might be used by one of us for hunting season this year; BTW: I hate ordering something and waiting and waiting only to be told the item is on backorder

hope this helps sumay'all take a second look and not take things personally so quickly...this last trip helped me to see a flaw that I can work on fixin'

HAVE FUN Y'ALL!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast