Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 28 1234511 ... LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Smile The Trop Gun Shop - Elizabethtown

Did anybody go there last week for their anniversary sale? I'd not been there for 3 or 4 months, and decided to check it out since I was passing right by there on business. I was going there simply to LOOK.

Anyways, I spotted an SKS leaning against a corner and asked to look at it. It was a beautiful Russian SKS, marked $199. I asked if there was a discount on that particular rifle, and was told that it would be 10% off.

Needless to say, I bought it. It was $195. out the door, which I regard as an EXCELLENT deal on a Russian SKS (1952 Tula, rearsenaled but with all matching #'s).

top gun shop
    Last edited by danp; October 27th, 2011 at 02:37 PM.

Trops is starting to creep up on their prices...I only bought a handful of items from them.

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: The Trop Gun Shop - Elizabethtown

I used to frequent them when I returned to PA in 2003, but I sorta wore out my welcome...when I returned to PA from TN I was getting geared up to get my CCW and I asked alot of questions and I seemed to get on their nerves; I would also ask that a gun get held for me here or there and the older gentleman in the handgun section got tired of doing that saying that I needed to be sure of what I wanted before I came in--> I'm thinkin to myself...how in the he#@ am I gonna know what I want before I come in and see what the shop has?!?; I stopped buying firearms and would go infrequently for ammunition, cleaning supplies, and accessories...they'll take my money but not go out of their way to serve me...my average wait timewas 20 minutes or longer since certain individuals disappear in the back when I got close to the handgun counter and I would have to get one of the guys on the front counter to chase the handgun guy out of the back; when I finally hit my fill of their games, I stopped going since they don't like 'high maintenance' customers

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by kmrcstintn View Post
    I used to frequent them when I returned to PA in 2003, but I sorta wore out my welcome...when I returned to PA from TN I was getting geared up to get my CCW and I asked alot of questions and I seemed to get on their nerves; I would also ask that a gun get held for me here or there and the older gentleman in the handgun section got tired of doing that saying that I needed to be sure of what I wanted before I came in--> I'm thinkin to myself...how in the he#@ am I gonna know what I want before I come in and see what the shop has?!?; I stopped buying firearms and would go infrequently for ammunition, cleaning supplies, and accessories...they'll take my money but not go out of their way to serve me...my average wait timewas 20 minutes or longer since certain individuals disappear in the back when I got close to the handgun counter and I would have to get one of the guys on the front counter to chase the handgun guy out of the back; when I finally hit my fill of their games, I stopped going since they don't like 'high maintenance' customers
    A friend of mine called them a few weeks back to ask them some questions about a handgun they had on the used lists on their website. The guy he talked to was rahter short with him and generally acted like his time was being wasted.

I like Trops, but if they don't change their ways in the realm of customer service I'm afraid they're going to find themselves out of business if a big box like Gander Mountain or the like move in nearby. Then they'll be yet another local shop crying about getting run out of business by the big chain stores when the fact is nobody liked dealing with them.

If they're prices are really creeping up then I'm afraid this process has already started.

(Lancaster County)

I have to agree that they really act like they are doing you a favor just talking tio you and then only briefly. I like Kinsey's Outdoors not far from them (the other side of Rt 283). Unfortunately the GM at Kinsey's as well as the owner gave me the same poor attitude over 2 FFL transfers which I ended up taking elsewhere cheaper) but the guys like Jim, Blair and Brad in the Firearms section are good guys and really do help. Also the prices seem better than Trop.
    --------------------
    Wayne

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag, carrying a cross." Sinclair Lewis 1935
    ---------------

(Lebanon County)

The folks at Trop seem to have the attitude that they've been there forever and won't be going anywhere soon. Unless you're buying a $1000 Remchesterby they don't have time to trifle with you.

(Lancaster County)

Even if you are buying a $1000 firearm they still treat you like sh**. My buddy and I were into Trop about a month and he was going to buy a new hand gun that was close to $1000 out the door. We arrived at Trop aboud 8:20 PM, my buddy looked around and by 8:30 he had the gun pick out that he wanted. When he told the older guy behind the hand gun counter that he was going to take this one the sales guy proceided to tell us that they in a half hour and if we don't start the paperwork by 8:40 we would have to come back another day since they close at 9:00. Well to make a long story short the older guy stumbled around looking for paperwork, wasting time, and acting like he didn't want to make a sale. He then told us that we have to hurry and do the paperwork sicne at 9:00 the computers shut down and also that PICS is very busy on Fridays at this time. After being treated like a piece of sh** and having our time wasted we walked out with out the new gun, and Trop just lost a $1000 sale and two customers.

(York County)

I go into Trop to look only. Their prices are usually average to above average (have even seen some listed that were OUTRAGEOUS!) I would not reccomend them simply because of their poor attitude.
    I went in looking for a sporting clays gun for my wife. I already knew exactly what model/guage I was looking for. When I asked the gentleman behind the counter about it, he just looked at me and shook his head and said, "Franchi doesn't even make that in a 20gu.". My reply was that I had done quite a bit of research on it and I am certain that they do since I had seen it on the website and also HELD ONE AT ANOTHER SHOP in York. He told me that I was WRONG because if they didn't have it.....it didn't exist. I left without another word. AMAZING that these guys think they know everything when they truly know very little.

(Lebanon County)

I recently ran a Littmus Test to see how long it ould take to get waited on and whom would do it...

1) Over 10 munutes the first time on the handgun counter after going to browse the ammo section...when I proceeded out the door without cleaning fluid or ammo, one guy at the front said something about not having my usual small purchase to check out; I went to Kinsey's and waited until after the 5pm shift change and went back

2) I immediately went to the handgun counter and started looking at a used revolver for $400; nearly 20 minutes went by before one of the shotgun guys came back and he knows all too well about the older guy diving into the backroom on me and not coming out...basically I left after asking my questions and said I might be back in a few weeks

3) A few weeks went by and I returned to the store yesterday and did my usual casual browsing of the used longguns, ammo section, and looking over the handguns; I turned around and caught the older guy seeing me see him before he dove back into the backroom; shortly after that happened, i got waited on by the other guy who covers handguns alot; I had him appraise a possible trade-in and he lowballed me by $100 less than my favorite shop (Trout Run Sports in Ephrata, PA) and I said no thank you

Summary: even though I got served faster, the older guy won't help me and my gonads got chopped on a trade-in appraisal; I will only do minor business with them when I don't feel like driving into Harrisburg and going to Gander Mountain...

(Lancaster County)

I took a like new Beretta Cougar 9mm in there last year with 3 ten round and 6 high Caps mags, box, papers everything and was offered $200.00 on a trade in by the tall guy Avery
    --------------------
    Wayne

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag, carrying a cross." Sinclair Lewis 1935
    ---------------

Page 1 of 28 1234511 ... LastLast