Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: The Trop Gun Shop - Elizabethtown

i didn't really like the way the atmosphere was in the shop - because i'm a younger guy and not an "old timer", alot of people at gun shops don't seem to have the time of day for me and it's really annoying - like they think because i'm not over 45, that i'm not a responsible gun owner - that's just stupid and i say fuck 'em............when i went, nobody really had the time of day, but they didn't hold a candle to trout run - those guys are just asshats - except for the game warden that works there - he's pretty cool..........
    Retired LEO, FFL Holder

(Chester County)

As a former part time employee at the trop myself (I worked there for almost 2-years back in the early 90s) and a loyal customer I am glad to see this thread get turned around from how it started. I don't get to stop in the store more then about 1-2 times a month anymore as I live in the Valley Forge Area but I buy more guns from the Trop then any other store.

With that said, I have also experienced the good and the bad and I am glad to see that their is a mechanism of accountability that is getting put into the mix.

(York County)

Hey Flats, Colt may or may not be the same Colt but the fact is that the employee of Trop said that he can't get Colt 1911s because the company is out of business. We all know that this is not true.

As to what is available to the average gun buyer from Colt. 1911s, SAAs, and many AR15 variants. Though they don't call all of them AR15s anymore.

(Lancaster County)

Living less than 10 minutes from Trops, and having gone there many times, I can say, THEY SUCK.

Some of the famous TROP lines I've heard or over-heard over the years (and yes IN PERSON, MY OWN EARS).

"Maam, the Walther PPk is the finest compact handgun you can buy, after all James Bond uses it!"

"If it doesnt say Browning or Berretta on it, it aint a good shotgun".

"The best I can give you for your LNIB 700 Classic is $175, you wont do better than that anywhere".

"Sigs are good, but way over rated".

I could go ON and ON about Trops. I still stop from time to time (as I pass it every friggin day) but rarely buy anything. The only recent purchases of mine were several months ago the military surplus ammo cans (foam lined 20mm size) for $3.99 each. I bought ten and would buy 10 more if they put them on sale tomorrow.

Unfortunately in my view, the deals are few and far between at Trops, and the customer service down right sucks. I'll stick with Backwoods Outfitters in Columbia and Glenn's in Annville (where I just scored a SW 1006 for $350, thank you Glenn.)
    Last edited by sigarms229; August 30th, 2012 at 10:24 PM.

(Lancaster County)

Sigs are the greatest, that's why Trop always has a bunch of used ones. People like them so much they trade them in on a Kimber, Ruger, or Glock.
    What would you suggest to a lady that knows nothing about guns and wants a 22 to learn?

(Lancaster County)

What would you suggest to a lady that knows nothing about guns and wants a 22 to learn?
    For handguns:

If they can afford it, I would recommend a Smith and Wesson 617 revolver, if they cant afford alot, a Taurus Tracker 970

If they absolutely want and auto and dont want to spend that much, a Ruger Pistol (22/45 or MK III) or a Browning Buckmark.

For Rifles,

Ruger 10/22

(Lancaster County)

My GF started with a Sig Trailside .22LR I have a Beretta Neos .22 LR. And yes Trops does suck
    --------------------
    Wayne

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag, carrying a cross." Sinclair Lewis 1935
    ---------------

(Lebanon County)

when i went, nobody really had the time of day, but they didn't hold a candle to trout run - those guys are just asshats - except for the game warden that works there - he's pretty cool..........
    could you please clarify which shop since you metioned both Trop & Trout Run?

I'll stick with Backwoods Outfitters in Columbia and Glenn's in Annville (where I just scored a SW 1006 for $350, thank you Glenn.)

too bad Glenn has cut his showroom hours back...I often get stuck working late on Thursday evenings and have to cover call for work on Saturdays
    Last edited by kmrcstintn; October 30th, 2007 at 01:35 PM.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by sigarms229 View Post
    For handguns:

If they can afford it, I would recommend a Smith and Wesson 617 revolver, if they cant afford alot, a Taurus Tracker 970

If they absolutely want and auto and dont want to spend that much, a Ruger Pistol (22/45 or MK III) or a Browning Buckmark.

For Rifles,

Ruger 10/22
    Sigarms229,
    I assumed you were talking about semis. The Buckmark and Ruger are also reliable choices. I wouldn't recommend any Taurus to any one unles you plan not to shoot no more than a box of ammo thru it. Notice how you said the word "I" would recommend this or that. A new shooter would be depending on your opinion if you were the sales person.
    Just for you dopes calling the Trop Gun Shop Trops, it's Trop (singular). The name comes from the Tropical Treat Restaurant that was located at the corner of Rt. 230and Cloverleaf Rd. It was an old time drive up with mics and speakers to call in your order and the nice young girls would deliver to your car. They also had an inside counter to sit and eat. At the end of the counter was a small section with guns and ammo. They then moved to the basement of the house to the left of the present location. I can't see how they survive with such poor service. Everytime I drive by, especially on Saturdays, there's hardly a car in the parking lot. They really don't have many guns or much ammo either.

(Lancaster County)

I'm not sure why you would think I'm talking about semi's, I wasnt talking about anything involving what guns to recommend. It was your question, not mine. Any newbie, I'd put in a revolver first. Reliable, easy to use, clean, and no parts to loose when breaking down for basic cleaning.

You wouldnt recommend a Taurus anything but I would, their revolvers. Personally I'm wondering how many Taurus revolvers you have owned? I've had 4 total and they all served their purpose. They were 100% reliable and accurate enough for a decent price. Now if you want to talk Taurus auto's, that's a different story. The only Taurus auto I had that was 100% reliable was the PT1911 and while a fine gun, I ran with it for awhile to see how Taurus did with it, then I moved on.

As far as Trops (as commonly pronounced by locals) goes, you caught me. I thought I'd just come on here, make up some BS and feed it to you guys/gals (not). Same goes for all those with bad experiences there. While some people have had good experiences there, I havent. As far as gunshops go in Southcentral PA, they are probably the lowest in my book.

Funny though how I've never had a bad experience in Backwoods Outfitter or Glenn's Guns. I guess that's why I keep going back, cause Tom and Glenn have their stuff wired straight.
    Last edited by sigarms229; October 30th, 2007 at 08:49 PM.

Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast