Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: The Trop Gun Shop - Elizabethtown

Whoa!

I just finished reading each and every post in this thread and I have to say I am shocked at what I read.

I strongly encourage each of you that have legitimate complaints to send them to info@tropgunshop.com with the subject header of "ICO Steve 3 - Customer Complaint".

Your complaints will be forwarded to the owner.

This is the only way we can fix the "problems" at Trop.

There are still many of us that work at Trop who want your business and will work for it.

As for complaints about "waiting 15 or 20 minutes", sometimes customers have to wait longer than we'd like them too depending on the volume of traffic the shop is getting and the number of sales associates on duty.

Personally, I work as swiftly as possible with customers without making them feel "rushed" and "unappreciated" as some of you have complained about. So, you see how sometimes we as staff are caught between making customers happy and making other customers mad at the same time.

For instance...the handgun sale.

I was on duty Friday and Saturday, the last two days of the sale. To say we were busy would be the understatement of the year.

Try to imagine...

We opened the doors at 9am Saturday morning and from 9:30am to 4:30pm the handgun counter was three to four customers deep all day long, and there were three Trop staffers working back there the entire time.

Now try to imagine that you are the second customer behind the customer that I'm currently working with...and on days like this there is no "first come, first serve" because it is simply too much for us to keep track off, and honestly, customers just don't care if they cut in line after waiting more than 15 minutes. It usually becomes like a WalMart checkout. you just pick a line and hope you picked a "fast one", only there are no "fast ones". They simply do not exist.

A typical handgun sale usually goes like this...

The customer comes to the counter and I say "Can I help you with something today?".

The customer says something like "I'm interested in a handgun for personal defense," and based on a few questions about price, caliber and so forth I get two or three guns out of the display case.

...and you are patiently waiting...

Now, after "fondling" some guns, the customer is beginning to narrow down his choices. After some more "heavy petting" the customer has made his choice and now it's off to the holster wall.

...and you wonder "where is he going?"...

Now, assuming that most of you have been to Trop and have ever tried to find a particular holster on our "holster wall", you'll know what I'm talking about. It's a mess. Not because we don't try to keep it semi-organized. It just "gets" that way, if you know what I mean. After finding (or not) a holster it's off to cleaning supplies. This is a lot easier. Zip, we're done here, but now it's time to pick out ammo.

...and you're thinking "where the hell did he go?"

Ammo is a funny thing. For some customers, ammo is just something you stick in the gun so that when they pull the trigger something happens. They don't care what happens, they just want something to happen.

Other customers choose their ammo with painstaking deliberation. They almost meditate over the difference between a 9mm Speer GoldDot 124gr GDHP and a 9mm Federal Hydra-Shok 124gr JHP, and what is better, American Eagle or Blazer Brass.

Of coarse none of this matters to most customers. "Will this fit down the pipe? Good. No wait! This is $1 cheaper. I'll take it".

Now the fun really begins. Can you say, ATF F 4473 (5300.9) ?

...and you think "finally, he's back...OMG!...they're just starting the paperwork?"

Now, most customers have been around the block a few times. They know the ropes. They can breeze through the forms faster than I can (of coarse I have to fill out the "smart" side of the paperwork, but that's neither here nor' there because it's my job).

But then there's the "newbie" customer who has never seen or heard of this ridiculous, redundent questionaire.

I can't really blame them for the look of complete bewilderment they have on their face by the time they get to question #13 "What is your State of residence (if any)". It's as if The Buddha himself has imposed some sort of cosmic riddle that the Federal Government is forcing them to answer. Only when I relieve their anguish by re-wording question #13 as "what State do you live in?" does the pained look of someone being put through a Spanish inquisition melt from their face.

...and now you're not sure who you're more pissed at, me or the "dumbass" that doesn't know how to read...

Finally the paperwork is completed and now it's time to call "The Man", or "El Cid" as I like to call PICS. But it's a Saturday, and we're not the only game in town, or the State for that matter. So, we wait. One, two three minutes goes by.

...now you're mumbling is almost audible, and I can barely make out the words "I think he's pretending to be on hold, the a-hole"...

Four, five, six minutes more. Then I get through. If we're lucky (and I say "we're" because "we're" all in this together, aren't we?) all of the customers info has checked out and I get an approval #. Time to check out.

...not really giving a crap anymore you say "about f'n time" in a not so subtle tone of voice...

The customers card has cleared and now I have to separate the paperwork and bag up all his goodies for the trip home, or to the range, which is where we all would rather be right about now.

I hand him his bags and say "thanks for the business, come again, enjoy" and he's off and heading to the door. And I could really use a smoke right now. Not to mention a drink to sooth my hoarse throat from talking and answering questions.

But there you are and you have been "patiently waiting" for 15 minutes. So, I say "Can I help you with something today?"...

Now this isn't a criticism of Trop customers, but something I know you must go through when we're busy because I'm a consumer too, and I wait - and curse under my breath - when I wait longer than I would like when I'm out shoping.

I personally averaged 5 handgun sales per hour on that particular Saturday. I managed 5 and hour because, while most sales take a minimum of 15 minutes to complete, I was able to run two sales at the same time during the "slow" periods throughout the day without neglecting anyone.

Running two or more handgun sales at the same time on a busy day is...well, it's an experience all of its own, and not for the timid. But we can discuss that another time.

So, if you do happen to come in Trop and you see that we're busy, please know that we're helping folks just like you and that we'll get to you as soon as we can.

...as for Trop staff "ducking in the back" or "being rude", get the names and use the email address I provided.

See you at Trop,

TropGuy
    Last edited by TropGuy; May 1st, 2007 at 09:30 AM.

(York County)

Thumbs up Re: The Trop Gun Shop - Elizabethtown

I have bought a few firearms from Trop over the last 4 years. I stop by whenever I am in the area. I have never encountered attitude or jackassery. In my book they have been a good bunch of guys.

"For those who have fought for it, Freedom has a flavor that the protected will never know."
    -Author Unknown

Life Member NRA
    Life Member VFW
    Life Member 2nd U.S. Cavalry Association
    Life Member, Order Of The Spur - Golden Spur Holder

(Lancaster County)

Deadbolt,

Thanks, and we really appreciate your business.

(Lancaster County)

I stop in every now and then, pickup a few things, look around....

But, Ive got to say they are very patient and helpful. In fact, the guy that sold me my first rifle even took the time to put instructions on it. Very helpful...

BTW...That little fellow down there deserves a raise...a step stool or something.

No, seriously, I've dealt there for a long time, starting way back when Marlin built the place. In fact, I remember when the gunshop was in Trop, the Drive-In and Ed was skinny. Show'n my age now.

Never a complaint as far as I'm concerned.

Bill ( aka Butch)

(Lancaster County)

Hey Butch,

Are suggesting that Moe needs a boost to see over the counter?

HaHa.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by TropGuy View Post
    Hey Butch,

Are suggesting that Moe needs a boost to see over the counter?

HaHa.

That would be a help. At least then you'd feel like you talk'n to something other than a hairball. Its good you keep'm around, when someone asks for "a little help"...

Bill

(Lancaster County)

Bill,

Now that's low...no pun intended.

The thing about Moe is this. He'd be the first guy to make fun of his height, but he'd also be the first to make fun of somebody's unfortunate premature bald spot. Or teach the entire South Central PA sporting clays community that it's called a "Dan" when you miss every bird at a station.

I guess that's why I like working at Trop. Guys like Moe are fun to be around (if you're thick skinned and can give it back). It reminds me of Deer camp.

As for customers, they get a guy with a good sense of humor who is very knowledgeable and fun to deal with.

And if you become a "regular", he might even make fun of your bald spot.

(Lancaster County)

And if you become a "regular", he might even make fun of your bald spot.
    Oh, I've been a "regular" longer than some of the guy there are old...LOL

An no, I'm not bald, just gett'n gray and wrinkled!

You just tell "Short Stuff" Butch was bust'n on him....He wouldn't expect any less from me!

I headed to the hills, gotta see if'n there are any wood chickens in the mountain. Probably see you guys next week one day.

Sez ya all later....

(Lancaster County)

I know you, Butch. I know you're one of our tried and true. I was just generalizing when I said "if you become a regular."

Have fun in the hills. See you when you get back.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    Trops is starting to creep up on their prices...I only bought a handful of items from them.
    Aren't all prices creeping up? Aren't we involved in a war? Aren't fuel prices going up weekly? Isn't China buying much of our raw materials? WAKE UP!

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast