Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 152122232425262728 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: The Trop Gun Shop - Elizabethtown

I live just minutes up the road from trop.

I wasnt a big fan a few years back, but with the new manangement/staff and face lift of the store, theyve earned my business.

Besides the current situation of no one having anything in stock, Trop always has lots to pick from, guns, ammo, parts, you name it. Prices are always fair and usually better then anyone elses. These guys are one of the best around and I cant wait for the new store!

(Lancaster County)

My wife and I recently bought a gun here (2 months ago or so now), some pros and cons:

Pros

1) They had M&P9s in stock!
    2) The young guy who helped us was really(!) helpful. The gun was primarily for my wife, and he took the time to help her, and show her all she wanted, how to field strip it and everything. (It's her first handgun, so she needed the help) I didn't want to have the gun sold to me, and he did a great job selling it to her at points I was just there watching and keeping after the kids.
    3) Considering the panic, the price was fair. I won't be bragging about the bargain I got, but I'm definitely not complaining. (Its regrettable that the threat of a ban is what it took to get my wife to finally decide it was time to buy.)

Cons (these aren't as negative as they could be though):

1) Ammo. It bugs me when there isn't much or anything on the shelf, but their gunbroker listing has cases of ammo for sale at insane gun broker prices. (I understand they are in it to make money and don't begrudge this as harshly as many, but it kinda stinks walking out with a new gun and nothing to feed it.)
    2) Glocks. I really would have liked to compare and contrast the M&P to a Glock. I think we would have made the same choice in the end, but they had NO glocks in 9mm on the shelves, and several on gun broker. (See note above)

All in all, I'd give them a decent rating, and will be back again. None of the issues other folks have had were in evidence when I was shopping.

(Chester County)

FWIW they have made a statement a couple times RE gunbroker that in store stales are better than GB 10:1 but since it takes many days to sell something on gun broker with the current sales it seems lopsided. Ie they may have sold 4 cases of 5.56 in store that day and 1 case online that week, but you never saw all 4 cases in the store because they went too fast.

something like that

The trouble with that is that they don't sell cases of anything in store any more. 5.56 is(at least a few weeks ago when I was in last) limited to 5 boxes. Handgun ammo was 3 boxes. If you want a case of anything you have to go slug it out on GB. The closest you'll get is a "Trop Ammo Can", which is not a full case, I don't believe, and is a little more expensive than off-the-shelf price of the same ammo, but you do get the ammo can, so that sort of makes up the difference.
    “A Republic, if you can keep it.” - Benjamin Franklin

(Chester County)

point me to somewhere that has cases of 1k of 5.56 regularly in stock and i'll start hating trop for this.

Until then i think they are doing a good job keeping reasonable availability of ammo at reasonable prices despite the panic.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by DigiRebel View Post
    My wife and I recently bought a gun here (2 months ago or so now), some pros and cons:

Pros

1) They had M&P9s in stock!
    2) The young guy who helped us was really(!) helpful. The gun was primarily for my wife, and he took the time to help her, and show her all she wanted, how to field strip it and everything. (It's her first handgun, so she needed the help) I didn't want to have the gun sold to me, and he did a great job selling it to her at points I was just there watching and keeping after the kids.
    3) Considering the panic, the price was fair. I won't be bragging about the bargain I got, but I'm definitely not complaining. (Its regrettable that the threat of a ban is what it took to get my wife to finally decide it was time to buy.)

Cons (these aren't as negative as they could be though):

1) Ammo. It bugs me when there isn't much or anything on the shelf, but their gunbroker listing has cases of ammo for sale at insane gun broker prices. (I understand they are in it to make money and don't begrudge this as harshly as many, but it kinda stinks walking out with a new gun and nothing to feed it.)
    2) Glocks. I really would have liked to compare and contrast the M&P to a Glock. I think we would have made the same choice in the end, but they had NO glocks in 9mm on the shelves, and several on gun broker. (See note above)

All in all, I'd give them a decent rating, and will be back again. None of the issues other folks have had were in evidence when I was shopping.

I mostly agree with you and I've made similar posts in the past illustrating the same point. I don't hate them for what they are doing as I too am a capitalist at heart but what they have done is lost my "loyalty" so to speak. I still frequent the shop and I'll still buy something there if its convenient for me and its the absolutely the best price. which to be fair on ammo and reloading stuff they usually are. Even their jacked up ammo prices are not near as bad as a lot of other places hence trop has empty shelves and some others don't.

the two things that burned me are like you I hate that they wont sell cases of ammo in store only cases on gunbroker. but if youre getting $80 for a brick of .22 how can you not I guess. I don't need an ammo can everytime I buy ammo and that's the only way they will sell bulk now.

Secondly I was in a market for a TRP recently and after getting essentially laughed at for trying to get them to lower the price a tad, I happily went to gun broker and bought more gun for less money. Prior to these things I may have tried to support the local guy, but now I'll play the gunbroker game as well.

Like I said though, no hard feelings toward trop and I was there recently as a week ago looking for bullets(found them) but I wont give them business just because like I used to prior to the current madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Finch00 View Post
    point me to somewhere that has cases of 1k of 5.56 regularly in stock and i'll start hating trop for this.

Until then i think they are doing a good job keeping reasonable availability of ammo at reasonable prices despite the panic.
    You were talking about them hypothetically selling 4 cases of ammo in the store. I was merely pointing out that you can't buy cases in the store. You can't buy more than 5 boxes of any single ammo, from what I've seen, unless you're buying a Trop can. Not sure how you got hating Trop out of that.
    “A Republic, if you can keep it.” - Benjamin Franklin

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
    now I'll play the gunbroker game as well.
    That pretty much sums it up.

Now, in my case I wanted the assistance (I dunno how many of you have experienced this: I can say things at my wife all day and she won't hear a word, someone else says the same thing and its gospel to her. The best is when I tell her something, then her mother tells her the same thing, and she reports it to me like its a shocking breakthrough, LOL.) and because we not only got the assistance, but GOOD and helpful assistance, I had no qualms about shelling out a little more money than I probably would have had I shopped around.

Ammo is self serve, so if they have stock and better prices, I am happy to buy from them, if not, well it is what it is right?

(Lancaster County)

Trop has stepped up and doing well in my opinion. I've been enjoying going there after work the last week but that's over now that the job is finished. I can't believe how much it had changed for the better.

(Lancaster County)

How close is Trop to opening their range?

Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 152122232425262728 LastLast