Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Adams County)

Default Reciprocity result

I hold a number of licenses/permits to carry because from where I live I can be in a number of states within an hour, and I don't like the idea of trying to explain the concept of reciprocity by the side of the road at night. Has anybody had an experience in explaining reciprocity of licenses during a traffic stop? How did it turn out?

(York County)

Default Re: Reciprocity result

I had occasion one dark night, to explain myself to a WV Conservation Officer, when he caught our entire camp tramping through the woods looking for a wounded deer. I was the only one armed, and volunteered the information when he asked all of us to produce hunting licenses. I happened to be nearest to him when he pulled in as the rest slowly gathered. I produced mine, and my PA LTCF, and explained we (PA) have reciprocity with WV, and that I had printed info in my vehicle which confirmed I was correct. He barely even flinched, handed it back, and said, "...Yup, pretty sure you're correct. I don't need to see that." His pardner was hepped up on searching our camp and writing people up, but this guy was pretty cool. It's going to depend on who you end up dealing with as to how it goes down. I have a feeling most times, you'll have no issue. The key is to be right, respectful, and stick to your position. If it goes wrong, shut the pie hole.

(Mercer County)

I doubt you'll ever have any problems in that regard, as the information for him is only a call away. I think that most cops will already know what reciprocity agreements his state has with surrounding states.

There are exceptions, of course. One member of PAFOA I'm friends with here traveled across the country a couple years back, on her PA LTCF alone. She got pulled over in Ohio by the Highway Patrol, and informed the cop she was armed, and had a few rifles with her to boot. The cop told her she needed some type of reciprocal permit to carry in Ohio, and to go straight home. She called me and told me this immediately after it happened, and I about shit myself. That was a good guy, whoever he was.

What I'm curious about, are the few states like South Carolina. SC recognizes permits of residents of states they honor. So, they'll recognize a Utah permit from a resident of Utah, but not a Pennsylvanian who has a UT CFP. I wonder how many road cops know enough to make that distinction? I don't feel like testing it out, but I'd wager a good percentage of them would see you have a Utah permit, and tell you to have a good day. But, like I said in my first paragraph, the info is only a phone call away.

NOTE: this is in no way a recommendation to carry in any state you don't have coverage in. This is merely a hypothetical question.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(Bucks County)

Wink Re: Reciprocity result

Here's a thought......apply for an Arizona CWP. They do not distinguish between resident or non-resident. An Arizona CWP is accepted in SC from what I understand and according what l read you would be legal to cc in that state. If you have a PA LTCF, UTAH CFP and AZ CWP you will be legal to carry in 38 states.

If am incorrect on this please comment. My sources were handgunlaw.us, the AZ DPS and SC AG webpage.

SGM
    Last edited by sgmwatkins; December 7th, 2014 at 01:56 PM.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by sgmwatkins View Post
    Here's a thought......apply for an Arizona CWP. They do not distinguish between resident or non-resident. An Arizona CWP is accepted in SC from what I understand according to what l read you would be legal to cc in that state. If you have a PA LTCF, UTAH CFP and AZ CWP you will be legal to carry in 38 states.

SGM
    NO. Absolutely, totally, and unequivocally incorrect. South Carolina recognizes permits of RESIDENTS of states that they have reciprocity with. They will recognize an AZ permit of a RESIDENT of AZ. As you are not a resident of AZ, they don't reconize yours. The only time you will ever be allowed to carry in SC is if they form a reciprocity agreement with PA.

(Bucks County)

Wink Re: Reciprocity result

Quote Originally Posted by sprrdhawk44 View Post
    NO. Absolutely, totally, and unequivocally incorrect. South Carolina recognizes permits of RESIDENTS of states that they have reciprocity with. They will recognize an AZ permit of a RESIDENT of AZ. As you are not a resident of AZ, they don't reconize yours. The only time you will ever be allowed to carry in SC is if they form a reciprocity agreement with PA.
    Ok, understood. So correct me if I am wrong again. AZ issues a CWP and it does not say RESIDENT or NON-RESIDENT. It just says AZ CWP. So that is where I though we had a loophole. Apprarently, this is not the case.

SGM

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by sgmwatkins View Post
    Here's a thought......apply for an Arizona CWP. They do not distinguish between resident or non-resident. An Arizona CWP is accepted in SC from what I understand and according what l read you would be legal to cc in that state. If you have a PA LTCF, UTAH CFP and AZ CWP you will be legal to carry in 38 states.

If am incorrect on this please comment. My sources were handgunlaw.us, the AZ DPS and SC AG webpage.

SGM
    Wouldn't the address on the permit give it away?

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
    That's kind of what I was getting at in my first post. I have to wonder if your average road cop is going to know and understand the difference between a UT permit of UT resident, and a UT permit of a Penn. resident. Again, I'm not advocating anybody do this. I just have to wonder if they'd catch it.

(Butler County)

I had to wait exactly 2 extra minutes in Beachwood, OH. I drove through a safety (drunk) checkpoint and as Ohio law calls for, I informed the first officer that I was armed. They proceeded to huddle until the Sgt running the show called someone and determined that a PA resident on a Utah permit is good to go in Ohio.

However, I also retain an attorney. So, assuming I'm operating within the law, "how it turns out," is not something I lose a whole lot of sleep over.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
    I don't know about AZ, but Fl does not put your address on the permit, nor do they show it as non-resident. However, I guessing that if you are stopped for a traffic violation, your driver's license will show that you are not a resident of AZ or any other state's permit you may have.

Bill
    Last edited by wew3; December 7th, 2014 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Spelling

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast