Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)
    Posts
    110
    Rep Power
    9

    Question Background check for concealed carry permit?

    Is this the same background check that is done when you purchase a hand gun in Allegheny County?

    Who does the background check for hand guns?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)
    Posts
    1,480
    Rep Power
    5541

    Default Re: Background check for concealed carry permit?

    The background check will probably be through PICS (PA Instant Check System) it's run by the State Police.

    They can also do other background checks, such as calling your references (they didn't call mine), etc. The criteria for rejection is extremely ambiguous so they can pretty much do whatever they want.

    Took me about 4 weeks to get mine, no references called. I suggest that you get there at 8:00 on the dot because they get pretty packed and traffic is pretty bad.

    Good luck
    "Because I'm an American." - MtnJack

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)
    Posts
    110
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: Background check for concealed carry permit?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheHighChild View Post
    The background check will probably be through PICS (PA Instant Check System) it's run by the State Police.

    They can also do other background checks, such as calling your references (they didn't call mine), etc. The criteria for rejection is extremely ambiguous so they can pretty much do whatever they want.

    Took me about 4 weeks to get mine, no references called. I suggest that you get there at 8:00 on the dot because they get pretty packed and traffic is pretty bad.

    Good luck
    Thanks. I just got back from the court house. I hate government offices.

    Is the background check the same for CCW & hand gun or is it different?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)
    Posts
    1,480
    Rep Power
    5541

    Default Re: Background check for concealed carry permit?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jughead View Post
    Thanks. I just got back from the court house. I hate government offices.

    Is the background check the same for CCW & hand gun or is it different?
    IF it even goes througn PICS, it would be the same check. PICS only doesn't one kind of check and it takes just a few minutes. The 4 weeks it'll take you to get it is just because they want to slow the process down and hope people will forget or not care.

    If you can buy a handgun, you can get a LTCF.
    "Because I'm an American." - MtnJack

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)
    Posts
    110
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: Background check for concealed carry permit?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheHighChild View Post
    IF it even goes througn PICS, it would be the same check. PICS only doesn't one kind of check and it takes just a few minutes. The 4 weeks it'll take you to get it is just because they want to slow the process down and hope people will forget or not care.

    If you can buy a handgun, you can get a LTCF.
    Well I didn't buy a hand gun yet that's why I'm asking. I had a felony arrest in 1992 but the result was "guilty without verdict." The case & record were expunged.... I paid a lawyer to do a background check and he found nothing. But I'm a little paranoid. Someone told me to apply for a CCW before I buy a hand gun. If nothing shows up, and it shouldn't, I should be in the clear.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)
    Posts
    1,254
    Rep Power
    297115

    Default Re: Background check for concealed carry permit?

    If you fail the PICS, they won't let you buy the handgun in the first place.

    I'd be inclined to try to buy one first, just so you'd know instantly -- or within a week or so, at least. In Allegheny Co., it'll take minimum 3 weeks for the Sheriff to run the check.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)
    Posts
    110
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: Background check for concealed carry permit?

    Quote Originally Posted by jkp1187 View Post
    If you fail the PICS, they won't let you buy the handgun in the first place.

    I'd be inclined to try to buy one first, just so you'd know instantly -- or within a week or so, at least. In Allegheny Co., it'll take minimum 3 weeks for the Sheriff to run the check.
    But here's what I heard. If I try to buy a handgun and something pops up on the background check that is a FELONY! Is that true?

    If they find something on the CCW request it's just a denial of issue.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)
    Posts
    110
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: Background check for concealed carry permit?

    I guess I'm free & clear. I just got my post card back today from the sherrif's office.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    (Philadelphia County)
    Posts
    2
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Background check for concealed carry permit?

    The DS Criminal Investigative Division conducts criminal investigations into violations of passport and visa fraud. These federal felonies are often committed in connection with more serious crimes, such as international terrorism, narcotics trafficking, organized crime, alien smuggling, money laundering, pedophilia, and murder. These background search investigations are critical to the President's efforts to secure American borders and protect the national security of the United States. If there is a record match, the FBI forwards an electronic copy of the criminal history (RAP sheet) to USCIS. At that point, a USCIS adjudicator reviews the information to determine what effect it may have on eligibility for the benefit. Although the vast majority of inquiries yield no record or match, about 10 percent do uncover criminal history (including immigration violations).

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)
    Posts
    337
    Rep Power
    15222

    Default Re: Background check for concealed carry permit?

    I went down on a Saturday morning about 4 years ago, walked out with mine that day?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Background Check and NJ PTI?
    By mstork5 in forum General
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: August 14th, 2012, 10:37 PM
  2. new to allentown, looking to get a concealed permit
    By romeo oscar bravo in forum General
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: January 6th, 2008, 10:25 PM
  3. Concealed carry on your property without permit?
    By Atomic Dog in forum Concealed Carry
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: May 1st, 2007, 12:30 AM
  4. concealed weapons permit/WV
    By Ranger in forum General
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: April 17th, 2007, 06:14 PM
  5. Replies: 19
    Last Post: February 14th, 2007, 03:40 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Local gun shops | Local shooting ranges | Philadelphia Shooting Ranges | Philadelphia Gun Shops | Pittsburgh Shooting Ranges | Pittsburgh Gun Shops