Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Army National Guard vs. Army Reserves

Hey Guys,
    I really just began my research into the process, so bear with me if I get some of the facts wrong. I am very interested in joining either the National Guard or the Reserves and want to see if anyone has any opinions on the similarities/diffrences between the two, and an opinion as to which may be better suited for my situation. I am a bit older that the average recruit, I will be 29 in October. I have no previous military experience or training. I have a wife and two kids. Why do I want to join? Hard to put into words. I have always thought the military would be a good place for me, it just hasn't been in the works thus far. Aftre high school, I went to college. After college, I got a job and started a family and a nice life. I have plenty of family/friends in the military (I would ask them for advice but, ironically, they are all deployed right now!) and have the utmost respect for them. I played football in high school and rugby in college, and I really miss the comraderie that environment can bring. Mostly, as I get older I realize how much olthers have sacrificed so I can be where I am, and I want to be part of that legacy.

Am I an idiot? Should i forget about it? If anybody has any experience in either the Guard or Reserves, especially joing a little later in life like myself, I would really appreciate any encouragement/discouragment and advice. Thanks a lot!

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Army National Guard vs. Army Reserves

Either would be a good choice. The National Guard has every MOS (military term for Job) that the Army Reserves has plus more.

The Army Reserves only have support jobs ie logistics, transportation, mechanics etc... The National Guard has all of these jobs plus all the combat arms infantry, artillery, cavalry, and armor.

The question is what do you want to do? What are your interests? How far are you willing to drive to do this on the weekends? Are you looking for more college money? Are you looking for a specific job that you can take out into civillian life?

Knowing the answers to these questions would help me help you. I would also recommend that you choose a job that interests you but, is different from your civilian job so you get to do something different once in awhile.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Allegheny County)

I was 24 when I enlisted in the PA NG. It'll be rough keeping up with the 18 yr olds.

Here's 12 things to consider, off the top of my head.

1.) Money. PA kicks in more money for the national guard with gi bill kickers and education assistance program and more. I'm not really up to par on it b/c i've been out since '07.
    2.) What job do you want to do? I if you want combat arms, i.e. infantry, tanker, artillery, etc, you're probably better off with NG (more of these units). If you want a marketable skill, i.e. engineer, mechanic, etc, you're probably better off with the reserves. This is just general guide lines, not a de facto rule. i.e. If you want infantry in the reserves, you could probably find a unit, but it might not be in PA or anywhere near by.
    3.) you will go to the same basic training/ait as regular army and reserves and NG, so there's nothing to consider there.
    4.) read the fine print for the contract. If the recruiter tells you 3 years, he really means 8, but you only have to drill for 3. The other 5 you'll be in IRR, and could be called up and deployed.
    5.) read the fine print for the contract. If you get a signing bonus, make sure you understand how it's paid out. i.e. all up front, or in annual payments.
    6.) read the fine print for the contract. If you get school benefits, make sure you understand the details, how much per year/semester. If you get loan repayment, is it only for existing loans or future loans.
    7.) read the fine print for the contract. Recruiters lie.
    8.) read the fine print for the contract. Recruiters lie.
    9.) be aware, in the current political climate, you will probably be deployed.
    10.) annual drills. Do you want to see the world? then you want the reserves. PA NG will send you to ft. indiantowngap or virginia or somewhere local. Reserves will send you to italy, or okinowa, or germany or whereever.
    11.) do you want to jump out of planes or helecopters? You probalby want reserves if you do. Not definitely, you could always get something in the contract with the NG recruiter too. Make sure it's in the contract if you want it.
    12.) read the fine print for the contract. Recruiters lie.

Good for you. The military is definitely something that influenced who I am today. Good luck, take your time, talk to your parents, and let them help. 29 is older, hopefully with more wisdom than the average dumb 18 yr old, but the recruiters can still pull the wool over your eyes.
    Last edited by ham385; September 17th, 2009 at 08:25 PM. Reason: fixed ets length

(Monroe County)

These days both the Army Reserve and Army National guard will send you to the box either Iraqi or A-stan. Back in the day all three components had Combat Arms, Combat Service and support. during the 90's The Reserves lost 99% of its Combat Arms and now mostly supports Active duty with support units whic go everywhere. Reserves are federal troops, National Guard are a State entity until called up under ART 32. I have been both Active duty and Army Reserves. While the National Guard has many good things I prefer the Reserves.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by ReconLdr View Post
    Either would be a good choice. The National Guard has every MOS (military term for Job) that the Army Reserves has plus more.

The Army Reserves only have support jobs ie logistics, transportation, mechanics etc... The National Guard has all of these jobs plus all the combat arms infantry, artillery, cavalry, and armor.

The question is what do you want to do? What are your interests? How far are you willing to drive to do this on the weekends? Are you looking for more college money? Are you looking for a specific job that you can take out into civillian life?

Knowing the answers to these questions would help me help you. I would also recommend that you choose a job that interests you but, is different from your civilian job so you get to do something different once in awhile.
    Quote Originally Posted by ham385 View Post
    I was 24 when I enlisted in the PA NG. It'll be rough keeping up with the 18 yr olds.

Here's 12 things to consider, off the top of my head.

1.) Money. PA kicks in more money for the national guard with gi bill kickers and education assistance program and more. I'm not really up to par on it b/c i've been out since '07.
    2.) What job do you want to do? I if you want combat arms, i.e. infantry, tanker, artillery, etc, you're probably better off with NG (more of these units). If you want a marketable skill, i.e. engineer, mechanic, etc, you're probably better off with the reserves. This is just general guide lines, not a de facto rule. i.e. If you want infantry in the reserves, you could probably find a unit, but it might not be in PA or anywhere near by.
    3.) you will go to the same basic training/ait as regular army and reserves and NG, so there's nothing to consider there.
    4.) read the fine print for the contract. If the recruiter tells you 3 years, he really means 6, but you only have to drill for 3. The other 3 you'll be in IRR, and could be called up and deployed.
    5.) read the fine print for the contract. If you get a signing bonus, make sure you understand how it's paid out. i.e. all up front, or in annual payments.
    6.) read the fine print for the contract. If you get school benefits, make sure you understand the details, how much per year/semester. If you get loan repayment, is it only for existing loans or future loans.
    7.) read the fine print for the contract. Recruiters lie.
    8.) read the fine print for the contract. Recruiters lie.
    9.) be aware, in the current political climate, you will probably be deployed.
    10.) annual drills. Do you want to see the world? then you want the reserves. PA NG will send you to ft. indiantowngap or virginia or somewhere local. Reserves will send you to italy, or okinowa, or germany or whereever.
    11.) do you want to jump out of planes or helecopters? You probalby want reserves if you do. Not definitely, you could always get something in the contract with the NG recruiter too. Make sure it's in the contract if you want it.
    12.) read the fine print for the contract. Recruiters lie.

Good for you. The military is definitely something that influenced who I am today. Good luck, take your time, talk to your parents, and let them help. 29 is older, hopefully with more wisdom than the average dumb 18 yr old, but the recruiters can still pull the wool over your eyes.
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisH82 View Post
    These days both the Army Reserve and Army National guard will send you to the box either Iraqi or A-stan. Back in the day all three components had Combat Arms, Combat Service and support. during the 90's The Reserves lost 99% of its Combat Arms and now mostly supports Active duty with support units whic go everywhere. Reserves are federal troops, National Guard are a State entity until called up under ART 32. I have been both Active duty and Army Reserves. While the National Guard has many good things I prefer the Reserves.

Thanks everyone for your advice so far! There is definatley a lot to think about. I think so far I will focus my attention on the NG because I think I would want my MOS to be something combat-related. I'm sure my wife won't approve but, lets face it, if I decide this is for me I'm probably going to want to play with the coolest toys possible. As far as preparation for life after, I'm not all that concerned with my MOS preparing me for anything. I already have a college degree and we have a pretty successful family business, which I currently run and own part of, so I do have that advantage. I have often thought about getting involved in Law Enforcement or private security, if that helps. I feel like the experience would be most benefit me from a personal growth and leadership perspective, so something in combat arms would be most appropriate. I will have to check into what is offered at the posts within a reasonable distance though. I live right outside Philadelphia, so I'm not exactly centrally located in the state.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kb! Bob View Post
    Thanks everyone for your advice so far! There is definatley a lot to think about. I think so far I will focus my attention on the NG because I think I would want my MOS to be something combat-related. I'm sure my wife won't approve but, lets face it, if I decide this is for me I'm probably going to want to play with the coolest toys possible. As far as preparation for life after, I'm not all that concerned with my MOS preparing me for anything. I already have a college degree and we have a pretty successful family business, which I currently run and own part of, so I do have that advantage. I have often thought about getting involved in Law Enforcement or private security, if that helps. I feel like the experience would be most benefit me from a personal growth and leadership perspective, so something in combat arms would be most appropriate. I will have to check into what is offered at the posts within a reasonable distance though. I live right outside Philadelphia, so I'm not exactly centrally located in the state.
    You actually might have more to LOSE than most people. Strange things have a way of happening when you are away for 13 months and then get extended or even sent back. Things you could have a hard time dealing with from over there.

Most people worry about their job. The employer is supposed to keep your job. People figure it is a risk they are willing to take. And get another job some day if they get screwed.

In your case, you feel your situation is more stable. Your situation is more stable - while you are present and keeping an eye on everybody. Because you have something more valuable than most people have. There are a lot of divorces out there, and no less with deployed military personnel. And from your description there is more than one person involved in your stake in life, such as your wife and also your business partner(s).

(Susquehanna County)

So far what the others have told you is pretty much correct. The only thing I take a little exception to is your initial enlist (last I knew) was 8 years not 6. But, I've been retired for 10 years so I'm not up on all the changes. I note you say you have a college degree, What level? Associate, why not consider Warrant Officer training. Bachelor's degree or better or planning to go for your Bach? Consider commissioned service. The Army needs leadership as well as manpower, so why not put your college work to use. I'm sure PA has some sort of OCS for its' NG officer candidates and I don't know what the maximum age for a 2LT upon commissioning is anymore, but think about it and check it out.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

You have a college degree I assume?

Go to OCS, be an officer. Better pay, more respect, more money...and your the boss.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    You actually might have more to LOSE than most people. Strange things have a way of happening when you are away for 13 months and then get extended or even sent back. Things you could have a hard time dealing with from over there.

Most people worry about their job. The employer is supposed to keep your job. People figure it is a risk they are willing to take. And get another job some day if they get screwed.

In your case, you feel your situation is more stable. Your situation is more stable - while you are present and keeping an eye on everybody. Because you have something more valuable than most people have. There are a lot of divorces out there, and no less with deployed military personnel. And from your description there is more than one person involved in your stake in life, such as your wife and also your business partner(s).
    Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    So far what the others have told you is pretty much correct. The only thing I take a little exception to is your initial enlist (last I knew) was 8 years not 6. But, I've been retired for 10 years so I'm not up on all the changes. I note you say you have a college degree, What level? Associate, why not consider Warrant Officer training. Bachelor's degree or better or planning to go for your Bach? Consider commissioned service. The Army needs leadership as well as manpower, so why not put your college work to use. I'm sure PA has some sort of OCS for its' NG officer candidates and I don't know what the maximum age for a 2LT upon commissioning is anymore, but think about it and check it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky4Fingers View Post
    You have a college degree I assume?

Go to OCS, be an officer. Better pay, more respect, more money...and your the boss.

You guys are all right on. Where I am in life is, literally, my only reservation. I am married, and that is important to me, but much more so is my two children, ages 3 and 1. Part of me thinks its extremely selfish to put that aspect on the backburner to chase a dream, while the other part wants to believe that while it will be difficult they will be so proud of me it will all be worth it. I do have a college degree indeed, a Bachelor of Science. As far as work, its all in the family, I trust that it will be taken care of. Plus, being totally cynical but honest, I own 70% of it so nothings getting done without my approval (by appointed proxy if I deploy I guess). I guess I'm wrestling with the cost/benefit of it all. It is not lost on me that I have a great life, and most would think I'm crazy to take a chance of fucking it up. Wow, got some thinking to do!

you dont even need an associates for warrant officer in the Army, nor prior enlisted experience like other branches.

The old saying was "from high school to flight school" Because in the Army alot of the helo pilots...or excuse me, in Army talk its chopper, anyway, you have to be an officer or W officer and what you would do is go to enlisted boot camp, then to WOCS, then to flight school.

I dont know about other branches, but in the Corps officers dont have contracts unless your JAG or Pilot,...the Army might be the same, but W officers usually get guaranteed MOS's like the enlisted men do.

Go to the Army websites, see a recruiter/OSO and get some info.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast