Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: oly arms

(Chester County)

Default oly arms

has anyone ever gone through olympic arms custumer service? i sent my AR upper back to them to get the front sight realigned, UPS says it got there june 8th, i still havent seen it yet. sent 2 emails to the return/repair address on their website and havent gotten a reply back yet. tried calling couple days ago but didnt get ahold of the return/repair guy. are they always this slow?

im missing out on some quality shooting time

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: oly arms

Post it HERE.

http://oa2.org/

Lycanthingswillhappenthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Philadelphia County)

Personally, I will never buy anything from Oly Arms ever again. I ordered a 9mm upper from them and it took them 5 MONTHS to ship it. After 3 trips to the range the extractor broke, the bolt shattered. It took them another 2 months to return it to me. After 2 more trips to the range the extractor broke again.

There is no excuse for those kind of turn around times, especially when they are not stated up front. When I originally placed the order they said two weeks, and continued to say "next week" for 4 months.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by danp View Post
    Personally, I will never buy anything from Oly Arms ever again. I ordered a 9mm upper from them and it took them 5 MONTHS to ship it. After 3 trips to the range the extractor broke, the bolt shattered. It took them another 2 months to return it to me. After 2 more trips to the range the extractor broke again.

There is no excuse for those kind of turn around times, especially when they are not stated up front. When I originally placed the order they said two weeks, and continued to say "next week" for 4 months.
    Wow, that's good to know, thanks for the info. I was considering buying from Olympic Arms because their priced looked fairly attractive on AR uppers/lowers. But, the trouble's not worth the savings.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by ChamberedRound View Post
    Wow, that's good to know, thanks for the info. I was considering buying from Olympic Arms because their priced looked fairly attractive on AR uppers/lowers. But, the trouble's not worth the savings.
    Well, your mileage may vary. I've talked to other people who had no such problems. The one thing I must add to my previous comment is that their customer service is good in the sense that they are nice guys who seem to genuinely care about making things right. They problem I saw was just that they were really, really slow at doing so and not very good at estimating their own lead time.

This could be for any number of reasons (bad suppliers or sub contractors, etc.) but the end result is the same: I paid $700 for something that I was told I would have in two weeks when in fact I would not have it for 5 months.

If they had said up front (before they took my money) "Yeah we can get that for you but honestly our supplier of [barrels|bolts|whatever] is really backlogged right now and we may not be able to get this to you for 4-5 months" I would have been able to make an informed decision about whether it was worth the wait, and had I decided that was OK I would have known what I was getting into as opposed to being constantly lead on about how "a shipment is scheduled to come in Thursday, for real this time!"

As for quality, I dunno. Granted I was running this 9mm upper on full-auto and busted two extractors, that's not that out there are far as breakages go but when the rear end of the bolt literally shattered to pieces the first time I was sort of annoyed. In their defense they appeared to be just as surprised as I was that a piece like that could break that way.

I'm not a fan of trashing companies or people in general, in fact I have a very high patience for giving companies the benefit of the doubt because crap happens, but this particular case has left me with a bad taste in my mouth.

My suggestion if you order anything directly from them is to ask them up front the following questions:
    1. Do you have what I am ordering in stock, on the shelf, ready to be shipped now?
    2. If not, what parts are missing and when will you have them?
    Last edited by danp; June 29th, 2007 at 11:12 AM.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Berks County)

They shouldn't have been that suprised. AR15.com has a recent thread where somebody asked about Oly. Among the resounding "boos" was a nice pic of a shattered receiver. Apparently that's kinda common with their stuff.

I'll save up my money a little longer and buy from someone else.

ETA: Hi Dan!! Nice to see you're back!!
    Don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

Oly Arms make nice, accurate barrels. If I was going to buy anything Oly Arms...I would go through a dealer versus buying it from directly.

Keep in mind that they are in WA State, so make sure you are calling during their business hours. I'd prefer to call and speak to someone versus playing email tag.

(Chester County)

Dan
    thanks, i geuss theyre just being slow with it. i talked to the guy in email and he told me it should be quick turn around. maybe he meant quick as in sometime this year . ill call em up next week and let you guys know how i made out.

aubie, id rather talk to someone over the phone too, but ive been busy at work and can only call in the morning. i figured it might take a few days via email, but i thought id atleast have something by the end of this week.
    Last edited by BFit70; June 29th, 2007 at 06:49 PM.

(Luzerne County)

I had similar problems as Dan had with Oly, very slow and not really telling the truth. I ordered their RFA 22 conversion kit for the AR from them.

I ordered directly from them, called up to order and asked the question; " Are these in stock?".

I was told "Yes, they are in stock".

Well, after 2 weeks I call for a status and am told they are back ordered because they have not massed all the parts to make them yet....they have no idea when they will have the parts. I say but, but...I was told they were in stock seconds before I ordered. I was told they must have sold the last one right before me. Well that was about 6 months ago and I'm still waiting.

On the plus side my Oly K-16 bull barell is EXTREMELY accurate and functions flawlessly. I bought it used.
    Guns are good.
    If you can't fry it you shouldn't eat it
    Loud pipes save lives
    Mom spelled backwards spells....mom
    "Please don't squeeze the Charmin." ~ Mr. Whipple

(Lawrence County)

If I was building a tack driving 1:9 twst AR, it would have an Oly or DPMS barrel.

No one else can hang save for Krieger in that twist.

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.