Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Green Card Holder Gets Strange Response From PICS

Hello.
    I moved to Montco at the start of the year from the UK. Got married to my wife in Feb, and got my Green Card last June.
    So as I have had more than 3 months residence and now a Green Card/Permenant resident, I applied and got my LCTF. So the world was going fine, nice wife, being living here 9 months, had a Lee Enfield transfered to me at my local gun store a month ago, all with no problem.
    Had another Enfield transfered to the same store yesterday, supplied the same proof of residence and paperwork as before, and PICS tell the dealer that they are not sure how to do this (As I am agreen card holder) and they will get back to my dealer the next day.)
    So this morning PICS tell my dealer that the transfer cannot go through as I have not got 3 months residence!
    My FFL/dealer pointed out the fact that I have got the evidence, and they authorised a transfer to me a month ago. PICS replied that they know that I have a firearm but I must wait untill next week, when I will have been a permenant resident/Green Card holder for three months?
    I see no reference to being a perment residence for 90 days on the ATF site. I spoke to an Inspector at ATF, who confirmed I was in the right, and gave me a number to call at PICS.
    Spoke to PICS, and they started down the path of, I must be a Green Card holder for three months, I asked where this is stated, as the ATF say I am correct as does the ATF site, and PICS have authorised me a firearm a month ago.
    Pics say they will get beck to me, and I am still waiting! So who is right?
    Has anyone here had this 90 day perm resident issue before?
    I know you need to have lived in the state for 90 days, but nowhere can I find be a green card holder for 90 days?
    Chris.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Green Card Holder Gets Strange Response From PICS

from my experience, when buying with a green-card, you must provide proof that you lived at your residence for 90-days.

Maybe that's where the PICS automaton is getting confused??

Best of luck.

(BTW, the Citizenship test is still a joke, you've gotta try your darnest to actually fail)
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Berks County)

Welcome, to PAFOA and to Pennsylvania! Sorry I don't have an answer for you, but I'm sure someone will come along with the relevant information soon

(Bucks County)

From the ATF Faqs...

(R7) I have a "green card" and have lived in Texas for several years. Am I prohibited from purchasing firearms and ammunition from an FFL in Texas?

As long as you are not otherwise prohibited from purchasing or possessing firearms and ammunition (for example, a felon), Federal law does not prohibit you from purchasing or possessing firearms or ammunition. However, you will need to put your alien number or admission number on the Form 4473 and provide the FFL with documentation establishing you have resided in Texas for more than 90 consecutive days preceding the transaction. Moreover, you must make sure there are no State or local restrictions on such a purchase.
    Replace "Texas" with "Pennsylvania" and it sounds like your situation...PA doesnt have any residence "term" limit that I am aware of...
    Last edited by mrjam2jab; September 16th, 2009 at 02:35 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    From the ATF Faqs...

Replace "Texas" with "Pennsylvania" and it sounds like your situation...PA doesnt have any residence "term" limit that I am aware of...
    Yup,
    This is what the ATF quoted to me. I had to pop up to my FFL as PICS wanted me to send a copy of my green card. Surely all this info is available to them on some kind of database?
    PICS called my FFL back and said they are investigating and will let us know tomorrow.
    Blimey!

(Berks County)

So PA CHRIS, how do you like our firearms laws compared to the UK?

(Montgomery County)

Wink Re: Green Card Holder Gets Strange Response From PICS

Quote Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post
    So PA CHRIS, how do you like our firearms laws compared to the UK?
    Very nice!(Once this hiccup gets sorted)
    It will be quite nice to own a weapon that has not been filled in, and welded shut!
    I might even really treat myself, and buy me a nice sharp knife!
    Chris.

(Luzerne County)

The problem is that the folks running PICS are morons.

Really, it's that simple. As an FFL I have had to correct them several times. Not to mention the current fiasco with AR-15 transfers. They like to interpret things their way. Not the way they are written.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Montgomery County)

Talking Re: Green Card Holder Gets Strange Response From PICS

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    The problem is that the folks running PICS are morons.

Really, it's that simple. As an FFL I have had to correct them several times. Not to mention the current fiasco with AR-15 transfers. They like to interpret things their way. Not the way they are written.
    I make you right.
    Although I am wondering what will happen to the rifle I have already bought, that went through pics fine last month, if they now decide that I was not eligible to buy/own it at the time?

(Montgomery County)

well i hope they sort it out for you quickly. it sounded like they said you could get it next week. is it something you can wait a week on?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast