Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Cool PAFOA Recipe Thread, What's your Favorite

PAFOA Favorite Recipes

For years I've worked as a line cook and more recently lead cook and chef's assistant. With any luck and some skill I may soon be opening my own joint with a partner. A daunting task, as 90% don't last past 2 years. {{crossing fingers and praying}}

And, no, I don't think we'll be having Fight Club in the basement. As much as I'd like to, I don't think the insurance will cover it.

Cooking has not only been a job but also a favorite past time of mine. I thought it might be nice if we could share some recipes and techniques the other members could benefit from.

First up I'd like to to go into cooking and smoking meats. There are probably lots of hunters on here, so hopefully this will be a good topic.

Meats are made up of, duh, muscle tissue a tough substance and often contain sinew. I am still appalled to find widely circulated recipes for something like a roast cooked for a short period at high temperature. If you're able, cook something like that for a longer period on lower heat.

Pot Roast
    Let's say a 5 lb. roast in for 4-6 hours on 300 deg. or lower. Cook it in a Covered dutch oven or thick walled roaster. Those tin foil pans are great 'cause you can toss them later, but will lead to burning in a higher temp oven. Rub the outside in some spices and lastly oil to seal in moisture. Add a dash of worchestshire and 1/4-1/2 cup wine, 1/4 cup water or beef broth, potato, carrot, onion and celery.

For a long roasting time you may want to add the vegetables half way. If you saute the carrot, onion and celery first this is called a mire poix (mEEr-pwah), the base of many French and creole dishes. The tops {leaves} of celery are very aromatic and flavorful, don't trash 'em, add 'em in the pot.

A note on wine, don't use cooking wine like from the grocery store, they contain added chemicals such as sulfides that detract from a good flavor. I use a sauvignon blanc -a white wine, which can be had for cheap at the state store.

Smoke 'em, if U got 'em
    Basic meat smoking, without a dedicated smoker.

Get some good wood chips often in the same isle with charcoal in the summer. You can order fancy kinds online. Before smoking meats soak the wood chips for 2 hours. Note, what ever pan pot, or roaster you use for smoking will get coated with resin from this process. I use a cheap, thin walled 12 quart stock pot someone gave me. Cover the pot with a lid or foil to keep the smoke in, and on the meat.

This should be done on a stove with a vented hood. Find a meat you want to smoke, sausages, a pork shoulder or butt, or a beef brisket.

Put the pot on the stove
    In the bottom place your wood chips,
    And a small amount of water (1/4 cup)
    Next I put in a fold out round metal steamer I got from the dollar store, good for smoking meat, steaming vegetables or cooking shrimp
    This keeps the meat off the bottom and away from the wood which will burn to ash
    Next put in your meats
    Adjust flame to medium
    For best results you may have to repeat the process

The meats may need additional cooking or roasting until fully cooked.
    Depending on the meat, somtimes I put a cut off beer can in the bottom filled with stock or water to keep the meats from being dried out.

What do you do with the rest of the bag of wood chips? You can also soak them 2 hours, and throw them on the coals of your BBQ for a smokey flavor there.

Whatever you do, don't ask my uncle Larry to help, that's how the smokehouse burnt down.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -Edmund Burke

It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything. -Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

“One man with a gun can control 100 without one. ” -Vladamir Lenin, Founder Communist Party USSR ... I hate to quote a commie, but when they ban your gun, you'll know who gave them the idea.

Default Re: PAFOA Recipe Thread, What's your Favorite

I can make cereal. Does that count?

:-)

(Lebanon County)

I was talking to some people and I love BBQing, low slow and smoky. It was sugested I might want to Injection marinade my ribs BEFORE teh long low slow smoke, and the high finish. So Here's how my next rack will go. Injection marinade from About.com:

1 cup Apple Juice or Cider
    1/4 cup cider vinegar
    1/4 cup water
    2 Table Spoons Worceshtershire sauce
    1 1/4 Teaspoon Dry rub
    2 Tablespoons Corn Syrup

This can treat an 8LB hunk of meat, so don't over do it.

The night before, the ribs get injected, and a good coating of dry rub, and wrapped in foil. stick in the chill chest. 1 -2 hours smoking, the longer the better, try not to exceed acound low medium heat (200 - 250) Lower is better.raise the coals to medium - Medium high temp for about a half hour, basting on the BBQ sauce, to get a nice glaze over the dry rub. Last part not needed if you like dry ribs.

As for burgers, I got this idea watching Iron Cheff

1 lb ground beef
    1/2 lb bacon
    1 stalk celery
    1/4 - 1/2 small onion
    1 'shot' (roughtly a tablespoon) worcesterchire sauce
    Pinch of salt
    grind of pepper
    1/2 can beer

celery and onion in a food processor, turn it into, almost a past, some people like larger chunks for texture. Fine sclice or food process the bacon. in a lg mixing bowl combine everything, and turn into patties and cook like a regular burger.

I found the onion, celery, and extra fat from the bacon help the burger not dry out as fast. The beer also helps with that, but the rest of it adds flavor. While experimenting with this I tried topping it with BBQ sauce, but found it too sweet, so I don't recommend that.

(Lancaster County)

Thumbs up Re: PAFOA Recipe Thread, What's your Favorite

Quote Originally Posted by theshadow View Post
    I was talking to some people and I love BBQing, low slow and smoky. It was sugested I might want to Injection marinade my ribs BEFORE teh long low slow smoke, and the high finish. So Here's how my next rack will go.
    Good stuff, injecting spices, juices, garlic, etc. makes for awesome flavor.

We got the TV rotisserie deal, my aunt gave us, with the flavor injector. It makes awesome stuff.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -Edmund Burke

It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything. -Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

“One man with a gun can control 100 without one. ” -Vladamir Lenin, Founder Communist Party USSR ... I hate to quote a commie, but when they ban your gun, you'll know who gave them the idea.

(Lancaster County)

This is a good one for summertime, for your pool party or whenever

seafood pasta salad

1/2 of a 1 lb. bag of pasta spirals, 3 flavor kind- or your fav. pasta maybe wheels(rotelle), penne or rigatoni
    1 -1 lb. can of crab meat, "special" or "lump" I would avoid claw for this
    1 lb. shrimp, larger size 20-25's or 16-20's, if you have left over steamed shrimp this would be a good use for them
    3-4 Table spoons Mayo
    1 Table spoon Dijon or spicy mustard
    1/4 cup diced red onion
    1/4 cup diced celery
    dash - celery seed
    1 teaspoon old bay seasoning, or to taste (be careful this can make it too salty)
    dash - dill, or you favorite herb

cook and drain pasta

steam the shrimp, drain and peel and allow to cool. Then dice most of them, leave some whole.

Make sure whatever crab meat you use is cooked. Sometime claw comes raw. If the can says pasteurized your good to go.

If using lump crab meat, and don't want to break up the lumps do this -put pasta in mixing bowl. Add the mayo, sprinkle the old bay on top.
    Add the diced shrimp, Dijon or spicy mustard, red onion, celery, dash - celery seed, dash - dill(or you favorite herb) and mix.

Now add your crab meat to the top, and gently fold in. Decorate the top with the whole shrimp, a sprig of herb and dash of old bay for color.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by lvfcfirefighter View Post
    I can make cereal. Does that count?

:-)
    Maybe we can help you with that.

I can't believe a firefighter can't cook; the one's around here are some BBQ-ing dudes.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by T Durdin View Post
    I can't believe a firefighter can't cook; the one's around here are some BBQ-ing dudes.
    Yea, they're usually the ones who show up and let you know your food's done.

(Luzerne County)

Ok so this one doesnt involve a slab of meat (sorry! i love bbq-ing too though), but its quick and simple and you can get 3 decent sized meals out of it, and its not half bad!

What you need:
    2 or 3 chicken breasts cut up into pieces
    enough olive oil to coat the bottom of a frying pan
    4 or 5 garlic cloves, minced
    salt and pepper to taste
    a few dashes of basil
    a few dashes of oregano
    a pinch of red pepper flakes
    1 can artichoke hearts
    1 bag of spinach & ricotta tortellini (i use the larger bag of Barilla, I think it's like 8 servings or something)

Put pasta on to boil (usually takes about 14 min. or so)

Put olive oil into frying pan and heat on medium, add garlic and saute for a minute or two, then follow with chicken, salt and pepper, basil, oregano, and artichokes.

Usually by the time the pasta is done, the chicken should be done as well.

Combine the two, drizzle a little more olive oil over it and sprinkle on parmesan cheese. viola. dinner for 2 or 3, or get 3 meals out of it!

(Dauphin County)

Cool Re: PAFOA Recipe Thread, What's your Favorite

I can do ramen noodles, cereal, hot dogs(microwave), ice cubes! It's okay though, I married a great cook.
    "May the seed of your loins be fruitful in the belly of your woooman" Neil, The Young Ones

If 6 outta 10 women are battered.....How come I'm eatin mine plain?

(Lancaster County)

Well if that your comfort zone, go with what you know. Any advice needed I can surely help, and I'm sure there's other folks with a tip or two.

With the holiday about to commence I thought I'd post some BBQ sauce recipes.

Assorted BBQ sauce
    +++++++++++++++++
    Asian Barbecue Sauce

3 cups mild barbecue sauce
    3 cups smoky barbecue sauce
    1 1/2 cups pineapple juice
    3/4 cup hoisin sauce
    1/2 cup orange marmalade
    3 tablespoons teriyaki sauce
    3/4 teaspoons 5 spice powder

Combine above ingredients in saucepan. Bring mixture to boil, stirring to blend thoroughly. Reduce heat to simmer for 30 minutes. Use sauce to glaze grilled meats and poultry. Allow 2 1/2 ounces for each serving of meat.
    +++++++++++++++++
    Atomic Barbeque Sauce

1 onion, chopped
    2-3 habenero peppers
    2 cups orange juice
    4 cups catsup
    1/2 cup fresh lime juice
    1/4 cup cider vinegar
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    1 tablespoon salt
    1 tablespoon black pepper
    2 tablespoons dry mustard
    2 tablespoon crushed red pepper
    2 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 teaspoon chili powder
    2 tablespoons Tabasco
    2 tablespoons tamarind paste, available at Indian and Asian groceries
    2 tablespoons honey
    2 1/2 sticks butter

Add the onionand habenero and 1/2 cup of the juice to a blender and puree until smooth. Transfer to a medium size saucepan. Add the remaining ingredients to the saucepan and bring to a boil. Simmer for 25 to 30 minutes. Set aside to cool. Sauce keeps two weeks in fridge.
    +++++++++++++++++
    Beer Barbecue Sauce

1 cup of warm beer
    1 cup catsup
    1/4 cup white vinegar
    1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
    1 tablespoon onion powder
    1 teaspoon dry mustard
    1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
    1/2 cup finely chopped onion
    zest of 1 lemon

Once you have retrieved the ingredients, mix all but the chopped onions and lemon zest in a heavy pot and bring to a boil. Let this simmer for 10 minutes. Next add the onion and lemon zest. Simmer for 5 minutes. Blend using a mixer if you like yours chunky or a blender to puree it making it smooth and creamy. Use as you would for all types of meat.
    +++++++++++++++++
    Carolina Mustard Sauce

3/4 cup yellow mustard
    3/4 cup red wine vinegar
    1/4 cup sugar
    1 1/2 tablespoons butter
    2 teaspoons salt
    1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    1 1/4 teaspoons ground black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce

In a medium saucepan, combine ingredients, stirring to blend. Over low heat, simmer 30 minutes. Let stand at room temperature 1 hour before using.
    +++++++++++++++++
    Chipotle Barbecue Sauce

1/2 cup of your favorite barbecue sauce
    1 chipotle pepper, finely diced - around here these usually come canned in the Mexican section of the grocery, or you could roast your own
    1 Roma tomato, diced
    2 ounces chicken stock
    1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped

Combine all ingredients and cook for 10 minutes over medium low heat.
    +++++++++++++++++
    Jack Black BBQ Sauce

3 cups Onion; minced
    8 Garlic Cloves; minced
    2 cups Bourbon
    1 1/2 quarts Ketchup
    1 cup Cider Vinegar
    1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
    1 cup Durkee Hot Sauce, or any good hot sauce I like Texas Pete or McIllheny Tabasco too
    2 cups Molasses
    2 tablesp. Black Pepper
    2 tablesp. Kosher Salt
    2 cups Brown Sugar
    2 1/2 ounces Liquid Hickory Smoke; Wright's
    1/4 cup Cocoa Powder {i don't add this/ it's up to you)

Saute Onions & Garlic. Add 1/2 of Bourbon. Flame. Puree. Add Remainder of Ingredients. Simmer 15 minutes.