Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default finally got a black powder revolver

ok, so against my better judgement i ended up getting the brass framed 1851 confederate revolver. paid 130 for it...not bad at all...took it to the range and loaded it with anywhere from 15-25 grains...definitely dont wanna go over 25 grains just as a precaution. not much kick at all but a fair amount of smoke and fire...i have to say im hooked...at 50 yards i was getting about 10" groupings. i felt not too bad for my first time...i wanted to try 100 yards but i did not think it would hit anywhere near my target..i might be wrong tho...so far a fine piece of art and stable weapon...bp is definitely in my blood now and I have to say I like it even better than my ruger vaquero, or my other catridge revolvers (im a revolver only guy, just me taste)...well there's my two cents...anybody with any experiences with the brassers please chime in as im anxious to hear your accounts

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: finally got a black powder revolver

Picked one up a while back when they were on sale at Cabela's, but haven't had a chance to get it out yet. Not sure how much difference it will make, but were you using round ball or minie?

(Butler County)

I used to have one. Stainless Steel, .44 cal. Lots of fun. Pretty accurate. But very dirty and stinky. Used to clean it in a bucket of hot soapy water. Watch out for chain fires.

Stay with the #10 caps and you will not have any problem with chain fires. That said go ahead and grease the chambers as it will help the cleaning.
    Courage is being scared to death--but saddling up any way. John Wayne

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Huggy View Post
    Picked one up a while back when they were on sale at Cabela's, but haven't had a chance to get it out yet. Not sure how much difference it will make, but were you using round ball or minie?
    i use the round balls...works well i feel

(Allegheny County)

There's a product called "Wonder Wads".....little treated felt discs. You load them between the powder and bullet to prevent chain-fires....not too expensive and a lot neater than greasing. When you seat the roundballs, you should end up trimming a little of lead off of the balls as they seat....if not, you're using too small a diameter ball.
    There are three kinds of people in this world....them what's good at math and them what ain't.

Nothing Wrong with the Brass Frame, Just watch shooting full loads all the time, It will eventually cause the cylinder to shoot loose from the frame. This isn't an issue with the Steel frame guns, Just the Brass.

Stick with light loads and you will be fine.

Use Hot Soap and Water for clean up and completely strip the gun down as the BP goes everywhere.

TJB

BTW: 50 yards is an extremely long range for any handgun, try 25 feet or less and you'll be even more amazed.
    Recoil Happens

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by TJB63 View Post
    Nothing Wrong with the Brass Frame, Just watch shooting full loads all the time, It will eventually cause the cylinder to shoot loose from the frame. This isn't an issue with the Steel frame guns, Just the Brass.

Stick with light loads and you will be fine.

Use Hot Soap and Water for clean up and completely strip the gun down as the BP goes everywhere.

TJB

BTW: 50 yards is an extremely long range for any handgun, try 25 feet or less and you'll be even more amazed.

i will try closer as well....ive heard these guns make 100 yards with decent accurately but i do not want to be the first to try this and look dumb...what is your opinion of a light load? 15-25g?