Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Monroe County)

Default What are these scews for? - Viper Site

This is probably a dumb question but can anyone tell me what the 2 screws on my Viper site are for? One of them has stipped out (ripped the threads out), I don't think it comes apart at this point but...

(the 2 on the post that are side by side

The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: What are these scews for? - Viper Site

I'm not sure I know what you are talking about. Never having actually seen one of these sights, I think the two vertical ones on the front are vertical lock screws. The two horizontal ones in the middle of the bar are defiantly 3rd axis adjustment screws. They are on most high end sights like the Spott Hogg Hunter that I use.
    The older I get, the better I used to be.

(Monroe County)

looks to me like theyre holding the 2 piece stem together.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by 1iarrowking View Post
    I'm not sure I know what you are talking about. Never having actually seen one of these sights, I think the two vertical ones on the front are vertical lock screws. The two horizontal ones in the middle of the bar are defiantly 3rd axis adjustment screws. They are on most high end sights like the Spott Hogg Hunter that I use.
    Yeah I think thats what its for, I'm trying to decide if I need to care if one of those screws isn't there :P
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: What are these screws for? - Viper Site

You need both screws to set the 3rd axis but you need the right equipment and the know how to set the 3rd axis properly. If you remove 1 screw and tighten the other you will have the 3rd axis so far out of wack that you'd be better off with a sight without the adjustment. Also, if there is no tension on those screws it's going to loosen up and rattle and your left right won't stay put. I suggest that you drill out the stripped hole and tap it for the next biggest thread. The screws do not have to be the same diameter. If I'm not to far a drive for you I can help you out. I'm about 45 minutes from Saylorsburg. I also have the equipment to set the 3rd axis properly.
    Last edited by 1iarrowking; September 15th, 2009 at 06:26 PM.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by 1iarrowking View Post
    You need both screws to set the RD axis but you need the right equipment and the know how to set the 3rd axis properly. If you remove 1 screw and tighten the other you will have the 3rd axis so far out of wack that you'd be better off with a sight without the adjustment. Also, if there is no tension on those screws it's going to loosen up and rattle and your left right won't stay put. I suggest that you drill out the stripped hole and tap it for the next biggest thread. The screws do not have to be the same diameter. If I'm not to far a drive for you I can help you out. I'm about 45 minutes from Saylorsburg. I also have the equipment to set the 3rd axis properly.
    Very cool, I'll shoot you a PM. I've never played with 3rd axis before, I've heard a bunch about it and don't know how much it will matter for hunting but I'd love to learn.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    Very cool, I'll shoot you a PM. I've never played with 3rd axis before, I've heard a bunch about it and don't know how much it will matter for hunting but I'd love to learn.
    Unless your 3rd axis is set, your level will lie to you when you shoot up or down hill. When shooting down out of a tree stand you actually will be canting the bow when your level says your not. Of course if your only shooting 20 yards and your not trying to shoot through a small window of brush to hit a deer it's not going to matter much.