Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Bipod Question 6"-9" or 9"-13" for AR15/AR10

I want to get a bipod for AR15s / AR10s.

I'm think about getting the Harris Notched/Swivel models with a LaRue mount for a railed forearm.

Do I need to go with the 9"-13" for 30rnd mags or will the 6-9" be OK at full extension (9").

I'd prefer the 6"-9" because LaRue has a specially integrated rail-mount version that bypasses the sling stud/adapter and directly couples to a rail. This: http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetac...ail.bok?no=263

I'd measure it but I haven't built the upper yet and without having a sample bipod there I would be doing a lot of guessing. Thanks for the input.
    Last edited by -JD-; September 14th, 2009 at 10:17 PM.
    Keep perspective, recognize the good in your enemies and the bad in your friends.
    "--you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein, Revolt in 2100

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Bipod Question 6"-9" or 9-13" for AR15/AR10

6-9 is OK shooting from a bench but for field use, 9-13 is better.

6-9 works great for me for all uses
    This Space For Rent

(Chester County)

I have found that the Harris 6-9 with the LaRue mount works well shooting from a bench and prone... Tony brings up a valid point that if you are shooting in high grass you might need the additional height.

(Montgomery County)

Ok, If I've got the right, the 6"-9" is GTG for unobstructed shooting with 30rnd/AR15 and 20rnd/AR10 platforms, but the 9"-13" is better to get you above ground clutter in the field.

Let me flip the question a bit. Will the 9"-13" be too high to use comfortably while prone for range use without having the shooter/buttstock elevated on some type of rest?

Is 9" somehow the optimal height for the platform?
    Keep perspective, recognize the good in your enemies and the bad in your friends.
    "--you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein, Revolt in 2100

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by -JD- View Post
    Let me flip the question a bit. Will the 9"-13" be too high to use comfortably while prone for range use without having the shooter/buttstock elevated on some type of rest?

Is 9" somehow the optimal height for the platform?
    Thanks for the help.

I emailed LaRue and the may be able to do the 9"-13" by special order. Any more thoughts on the best choice???

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Bipod Question 6"-9" or 9"-13" for AR15/AR10

What are the thoughts of the Bayonet Lug Mount types Bipod?

Quote Originally Posted by phillyd2 View Post
    I guess it would depend on what kind of accuracy you want, and the barrel harmonics. Barrel harmonics are different for every single barrel, with every single different load. This goes for all rifle barrels.

Now the bayonet lug is always attached to the barrel, I mean the front sight, or an aftermarket one touch and are attached to the barrel. When anything touches the barrel, it will have some sort of effect on barrel harmonics. Occasionally things that contact the barrel will positively effect the accuracy or have no effect on the accuracy. Most of the time though, there will be a negative effect, or at the very least a change in point of impact (but still group ok). When you add extra mass, stress, pressure, etc, onto a barrel, you change the way it vibrates, so it's quite easy to change how the rifle shoots, or where it hits. Snipers and LR shooters are taught to NEVER rest your barrel on anything, because it will change the impact of the shot. Sometimes it makes loads not group well, sometimes it just changes the impact of the group. Since the pressure and angle of pressure will change depending on how hard you're pushing on the bipod, if it's canted (changes the angle), if the legs are uneven (changes the angle), etc; it probably wouldn't be consistently the same.

Now at shorter ranges, it might not cause too much of a difference. On rare occasions, pressure on the barrel can sometimes make a certain load group better. It's kind of impossible to predict, but the results typically are less than good. To be perfectly honest with you, I would advise against it, because there's so many other ways to mount a bipod, including just installed a stud on your front handguard. As I said, sometimes it has no effect or improves how the rifle shoots, but you're going to be taking a gamble. I honestly believe that the rifle could very well have different points of impact from when you're shooting off the bipod as when you're not. Others can chime in if they've done it, I haven't; but either way, in LR shooting, just having the barrel laid lightly against a rest will change the point of impact.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by phillyd2 View Post
    I'm not sure if I can add much after Tomcat088's post, but yea, using a barrel mounted bipod doesn't make much sense to me with a free-float tube.

I'm pretty much set on the LaRue/Harris or GG&G rail-mounts. I just need to figure out the height
    Last edited by -JD-; September 16th, 2009 at 10:16 PM.

(Montgomery County)

I ordered the Harris with the low-profile, integrated LaRue mount (not the rail-mount/stud interface) from LaRue, but they were kind enough to custom build it with the 9-13" Harris LM-S leg set. I'll probably end up with the 6-9" in the future too. Thanks for your input.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast