Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Range Report: Springfield Armory XD9 subcompact

Picked up my "new" Springfield Armory XD9 subcompact today. I'd originally asked to trade for either a 4" .38/.357 or a (shudder) Glock 19, with the intent of getting a carbine in matching caliber. Both fun and practical. However, a member contacted me with a deal that was just too good to refuse with this little gun and accessories. Cathy had a XD9 Tactical that was one of her favorite guns, ones she regrets trading to this day. I wasn't sure what the subcompact would feel like in my hand. I picked it up, and was in love, so much so that I even signed the bill of sale the other party broke out. I'm normally adamantly opposed to such in private trades, and have walked away from deals because of them in the past. In this case, I'm glad I didn't know about it ahead of time, because the little gun is all I'd hoped for and more.

First thing we did after the trade was walk directly into Bradi's and do some shopping. I picked up a box of Remington 124 gr Golden Saber JHPs, and a Pearce grip extension. I'd been doing some reading on the XD9sc, and the desirability of the grip extension seemed overwhelming among those who had tried it. On the way home, the blue sky and a new gun made an unplanned range trip all but inevitable Lunch, a quick gun cleaning, and we were on the way.

I was, of course, wondering what she'd be like to fire. I expected a snappy, muzzle flippy gun. What I got was a really soft shooting sweetheart, and one with more of a bark than I'd expected. In the videos I'm posting below, check out the couple next to us jump when I start shooting We were at the 17 yard range at first. I had no problem at all keeping all my rounds on the plate. Concentrating a bit more enabled me to shoot some really nice well centered groups. More rapid shooting proved pleasant, very easily controlled, and again easy to keep all my rounds on the paper plates. This is a gun that sits just right in my hands, points well, and enables me to hit without much effort. The trigger took some getting used to initially, but was easily mastered. It's still no prize winner for me, not compared to a nice revolver or the trigger on even a cheap 1911 like the Rock Islands, but it's more than usuable. The gun was advertised as having two hundred rounds through it, wear appeared to bear that out, and the XD trigger does improve with use, but even now, with just 350 rounds through it, it's not a distraction. By the time we were shooing, I was plenty used to it, and not even thinking about it.

Cathy and Sean were both pleasantly surprised by how nice the gun is to shoot. Cathy, in particular, was having bad memories of her M&P 9c. That gun, while not harsh or heavy recoiling, did have a fair amount of muzzle flip to it, and she didn't like it (I did, but it wasn't my gun!) The XD9sc does have less muzzle flip, IMHO, and is a softer shooting gun. Don't know way. Perhaps the grips shape, which mimics the 1911 and is darned near perfect. In any case, they both cast aside the Ruger Bearcat, and made me share my ammo with them, a burden I was more than happy to bear

All in all, I'm thinking this gun has ended a search that's been going on since the beginning of the year for a "perfect" for me carry gun. My little SP101 filled that role nicely, but with only five rounds it had a major shortcoming. My new XD9sc carries 10 in the mag in the gun, and I've got two 16 round magazines to back that first 10 up. The 10 alone should be more than plentiful, but a reload is faster and easier than with a revolver, and just one spare mag with 16 should be more than ample for anything I'd survive! So much for carrying a speedloader and two or three speedstrips, or 2 spare 1911 mags! This little gun is a little smaller than my 3" SP101 was, loaded with 10 rounds weighs about the same, and carries on the hip just as nicely. It's just as pleasant to shoot as the SP101 was with .38 Specials, plenty accurate, I get hits just as easily and effortlessly, it feels even better in my hands, and it's at least as nice a carrying gun. I thinking I may have, FINALLY, found the end to my search for my new full time carry gun

Some impressions:
    1) The Pearce grip extension was as nice as advertised, and a very definite enhancement to the gun. It let me get a full hand grip, including the pinky, at a very minimal cost in concealability. $8 every XD subcompact owner should consider spending, IMHO.

2) The full sized magazines with the grip sleeves were neat. When inserted into the gun, they basically change it from a subcompact grip to a fullsized grip, and make the gun even easier to shoot, IMHO. Cathy said they made no difference to her. It's my gun, so they'll stay LOL. There is another small price to pay in concealability, but not a big one. I need to practice reloading with them, though, because something about their shape keeps making flip the mag around backwards. I've been working on that since getting home from the range, and have it licked now, I think.

3) The XD gear holsters and mag pouches are fine for range use and casual use around the house. I'll still be buying a new belt holster though. The Deep Comfort IWB holster I got as part of the deal is garbage, IMHO, and I'm glad I didn't pay cash for one! The Kholster is ugly, weird looking, and very comfortable and effective.

4) The gun itself is weird looking, ugly, but very comfortable and effective LOL. Not a beauty queen winner, but a very business like appearance.

5) I'm still uncomfortable with the lack of a manual safety. The grip safety is a plus, but I do wish I had a manual safety to back up my brain.

6) I fired fast, slow, weak hand, strong hand, at 17 yards and 10 yards, and my hand and arm isn't tired, my wrist doesn't hurt, and I only missed the plates a couple times. This gun is gonna be a workhorse!

Below are some pictures and videos of today's shooting. Enjoy

My first shots through the gun. Watch the couple beside me jump LOL. The gun does have a bit of a bark to it's muzzle blast. Also note how the gun stays pretty much on target, despite the fact that I wasn't making much of an effort to keep it there.

Sean's first shots through it, not his last LOL

End of the day, time for Sean to get to do a little more than just plain ole' target shooting

Cathy getting her turn at 10 yards:

Sean trying to hog all my ammo:

Me, you lucky devils:

Me and Cathy chatting

Strong hand

Weak hand. Can you spot the brass?

Cathy picking up brass. We had a very good day in this department. Came home with more than we started with, and even some .45s. Sean just thought it was funny as all get out that he'd taken a picture of Cathy's behind LOL

Last edited by JoeWilliams; September 13th, 2009 at 10:40 PM.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

Default Re: Range Report: Springfield Armory XD9 subcompact

i love mine! like you said, it feels great in the hand and is natural to point! glad you like it and enjoy it!
    This Space For Rent

If you like the 10 round mag in it you have to try the 13 round mag. It's the same size. The balance is incredable.

(Lancaster County)

my wife loves her's and carries it in a crossbreed super tuck.she wears it's all day and tells me she forgets she has it on some time.she also use's it in IDPA where the RO doesn't enjoy being to close to her when she is shooting it does have a BARK.just ordered a blade-tech string ray holster her to use in IDPA match's. all in all they are a great little gun.but me I to old school I'll stick to my kimber tactical pro.but I do have a XDM hideing in the safe.enjoy your XD.I think of the plastic guns there the best out there.crazywolf

Hokkmike Guest

What a nice write up and wonderful pictures. This is what, in my opinion, part of the "right to keep and bear arms" is all about. A wonderful family enjoying time together.

Great Pics. (She should kick your butt for the last one, though - picking up brass! LOL)

Thanks for the article.

(Bedford County)

Looks like you had a great time , that's what it's all about . congrat's
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"