Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Question How good is the Sig Pro 2022?

I happened to come across this pistol when I was doing research. It’s within my price range (below $600) and I just wanted to ask about its features. Why is this one so much cheaper than the other models that Sig produces? Most of the guns that Sig produces easily fall into the +$800 price range. Does it have the legendary Sig performance that so many shooters worship? Or does it fall short of the other Sigs in some way? How reliable is it compared to a glock 17/19? How good is the trigger on this gun? How would you compare the trigger to that of a Springfield XD-9? How durable is this gun? Will it easily last a lifetime if you take care of it? Also, how long can this gun go w/o a cleaning? As much as a glock? Or less? What are the disadvantages of this weapon (if any)? I’m looking for input from people who actually own this gun and have experience with it. Thanks in advance.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: How good is the Sig Pro 2022?

I like mine. Alot. I have run it for several range sessions without cleaning, however this was only 750rnds or so. I normally clean my weapons after each session, so my experience with long-term dirty running is limited to about 1,000rnds. I've not had the 2022 or my Glocks choke in that interval though. The trigger pull is very smooth on my 2022 and this seems to be the norm from everything I've gathered. I would imagine it would last just as long as most other SIGS when routine maintenance and spring replacements are followed. The frame rails on the 2022 are thicker and more robust than the Glock and are also replaceable, so is the fire control module, and is user-replaceable for conversion to DAO if desired. The trigger is different than the XD series. Only real downside is holsters can be difficult to find over the counter, I use a Blade-Tech IWB for my 2022 when I carry it. As for price, it is probably one of THE best values going right now for the product delivered. I've seen them for $439 up to about $560 some with 3 mags, some with 2, and all seem to have night sights standard. Crimson trace also now makes lasergrips for it, if you like them. I've got a few thousand rounds through my 9mm 2022 so far and don't regret buying it. At one point I had a couple 2022's and the older 2340. Heck of a sidearm at a nice price.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by DBZ220 View Post
    I like mine. Alot. I have run it for several range sessions without cleaning, however this was only 750rnds or so. I normally clean my weapons after each session, so my experience with long-term dirty running is limited to about 1,000rnds. I've not had the 2022 or my Glocks choke in that interval though. The trigger pull is very smooth on my 2022 and this seems to be the norm from everything I've gathered. I would imagine it would last just as long as most other SIGS when routine maintenance and spring replacements are followed. The frame rails on the 2022 are thicker and more robust than the Glock and are also replaceable, so is the fire control module, and is user-replaceable for conversion to DAO if desired. The trigger is different than the XD series. Only real downside is holsters can be difficult to find over the counter, I use a Blade-Tech IWB for my 2022 when I carry it. As for price, it is probably one of THE best values going right now for the product delivered. I've seen them for $439 up to about $560 some with 3 mags, some with 2, and all seem to have night sights standard. Crimson trace also now makes lasergrips for it, if you like them. I've got a few thousand rounds through my 9mm 2022 so far and don't regret buying it. At one point I had a couple 2022's and the older 2340. Heck of a sidearm at a nice price.
    Yes, I know it should last as long as other Sigs. But would it last as long as a glock (since that is the standard for durability and reliability)? In what way is the trigger different from the XD series? Is it smoother, rougher, longer???

Also, it is true that Sig is going to stop producing them in the near future? Or is that just a rumor?

I have good things about them. I thought they were cheaper because Sig signed some contract and them had produced too many of them???? Not sure if that is true. Don't know just look on the internet and see people's feedback.

(Philadelphia County)

I'm picking mine up at my FFL tomorrow. I did a ton of research and couldn't find anything negative. On the Sig Forum it's regarded as the bargain of the century. It's one of two guns that Sig makes in poly. The other is the 250 which is also less expensive than the rest of the line. Sig does have a contract to produce these for French LEO until the year 2022 hence the name. There are two vendors I know of selling it below $500 with night sights. Top Gun Supply has it for $479.99 plus shipping and Cross Creek Guns has it for $480 shipped. I've dealt with both vendors and can recommend either. I got mine from CCG since I got my last one from TGS and I wanted to spread the love.

You can do a search on this forum to read more about user experiences and check out sigforum.com as well. A google search will turn up lots of info. The only thing that may steer some people away is that it's a nice-sized gun and wouldn't be my first choice for concealed carry. Not an issue for me though.

Sig SP2022 FAQ

(Allegheny County)

The trigger on the standard 2022 is double action for the first shot, single action subsequent. The XD is striker fired and has the same trigger pull for each shot fired, so they are very different in that regard. The DA on the 2022 is long, but very smooth. SA is short and crisp. Might take a little getting used to if you've got alot of trigger time on an XD and nothing else. SIG has stopped importing them for the U.S. market, however they are still being tested and procured for foreign police/military contracts, most recently being a large South American police contract. Parts are still easy to find and should be that way for a long time. As for running with a Glock 17, I'd put them equal. The 2022 is a very robust weapon and should be equally durable as the Glock 17/19 with similar care and small parts replacement.

(Adams County)

I've been wondering the same thing myself. Gander Mountain has them on sale for $549 with 2 mags. I went & looked at one but it just didn't seem to fit my hand the way I like.

(York County)

The only other Sig I can sompare my 2022 to is my 239 in 9mm also.

It's every bit as good, seems to be every bit as well built. I actually think the trigger is better on the 2022. My 2022 came with night sites, 3 mags, the case, oil, some other accessories....

I don't think you will be disappointed, you might actually be pleasantly surprised.

I was using my 2022 for IDPA until ammo went out of control pricewise. (I've limited myself to shooting .22 mostly.) It might be a little bit big for everyday carry, but it was just about perfect for IDPA. Perfect for under the pillow too!

(Centre County)

I have one in 9mm and I love it. I have put maybe a 1000 rds through it by now and I have had 1 failure to extract. It was my fault not the gun's. (I was shooting off-hand and badly limp-wristed the shot.) The gun is dead accurate, just like its classic Sig brothers.

The gun is built like a tank. It is actually the official sidearm of all French police forces (make of that what you will) and the gun was designed to be in service for 20 years. I believe it. Take it apart and you will see how beefy the internal components are. Even the decocker and slide release controls are quite beefy. If I recall the 40S&W version is used by the DEA.

The trigger is very smooth and has a very predictable break. It's double action trigger is longer than the XD's. The single action trigger is about the same length but is a bit heavier. The Sig does not have a safety lever on the trigger like XD's or GLOCK's do.

Sig is discontinuing the 2022. It is replacing the Sig Pro line with P250, Sig's new modular polymar pistol. The key differences between the two is that the P250 is DAO (think revolver double action, not GLOCK double action), comes in a variety of sizes (sub-compact to full size), and has an option for .45 caliber. Oddly enough, you can find brand new P250s for the same price as the 2022 now. It looks like Sig hasn't had the success it wanted with the new pistol.

Disadvantages. This is not the easiest gun to conceal carry with. It is a bit thicker than a GLOCK and your holster options are more limited. I use a BLACKHAWK! leather IWB holster and it works pretty well for me except on the hotter days.

As for advantages not mentioned. It has replaceable backstraps to adjust the gun to your hand size; there is a short trigger option if you have short fingers; disassembly is very easy and does not require the trigger to be pulled like GLOCKs or XDs; it has a fully supported chamber so if you handload your brass will last longer. The last point is meant to be a knock against the GLOCK which does not a fully supported chamber (this is more of an issue with the 40S&W cartridge).

I hope that answers your questions.

(Chester County)

The question I have, is what does it do better than it's competitors?

Mags and holsters will be a lot tougher to find.

I honestly don't know why Sig makes it. Oh wait, guess they're not anymore.

If you want a DA/SA polymer pistol, HK's are tough to beat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast