Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default New Tobyhanna Range Update

A couple days ago I drove by the location of the new Tobyhanna Public Lands Shooting Range that is scheduled to open in "October 2009" according to the Game Commission.

Unless they work a lot of overtime until then I don't think it's going to open on schedule. Basically all they've done is clear and roughly level the land. There's a couple loads of dirt way in the back, only a fraction of what they need. I spoke to the lone worked on site and he said, "there's still a lot to be done," as I could easily see.

I went there to check it out with great hopes it might be almost completed, especially after a trip to Gouldsboro range earlier in the week. I can confirm that the Gouldsboro range is closed. Permanently. The new range in Tobyhanna is replacing it (many of you probably know this already). Too bad, now that it's all cleaned up. Shame they had to close the old range before they opened the new one, poor planning/timing on their part, particularly when hunting season is rapidly approaching.

Anyhow, just reporting what I saw.
    PJ

(Wayne County)

Default Re: New Tobyhanna Range Update

Quote Originally Posted by PoconoJo View Post
    A couple days ago I drove by the location of the new Tobyhanna Public Lands Shooting Range that is scheduled to open in "October 2009" according to the Game Commission.

Unless they work a lot of overtime until then I don't think it's going to open on schedule. Basically all they've done is clear and roughly level the land. There's a couple loads of dirt way in the back, only a fraction of what they need. I spoke to the lone worked on site and he said, "there's still a lot to be done," as I could easily see.

I went there to check it out with great hopes it might be almost completed, especially after a trip to Gouldsboro range earlier in the week. I can confirm that the Gouldsboro range is closed. Permanently. The new range in Tobyhanna is replacing it (many of you probably know this already). Too bad, now that it's all cleaned up. Shame they had to close the old range before they opened the new one, poor planning/timing on their part, particularly when hunting season is rapidly approaching.

PJ
    Thanks for the info...can't wait

(Monroe County)

PJ
    Aren't they just moving the old range to a more accessible location on the Gouldsboro SGL location? Supposedly also opening in October 2009?

(Luzerne County)

That's what they did to all the other ranges last year. Oh it will be open......yada, yada..........and they weren't!

They had all spring and summer to work on the range. Oh, let's wait until the range is do to get busy before shutting one down and building the other.

I swear the PGC has their head where is doesn't belong.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by jediofdark View Post
    Aren't they just moving the old range to a more accessible location on the Gouldsboro SGL location? Supposedly also opening in October 2009?
    Yes, they are but since it's a big SGL, it ends up being all the way over by the Tobyhanna exit, about 1 mile west of I-380. It's just off 423, much easier to access than the dirt road that lead to the Gouldsboro site.

For me, it ends up being closer to my house. It just might not be completed by the advertised date.

Shame they had to close the old range before they opened the new one, poor planning/timing on their part, particularly when hunting season is rapidly approaching.
    It's the state. They don't need to be efficient or concerned with customer service. They get paid the same no matter how it works out.

(Monroe County)

Yes, they are but since it's a big SGL, it ends up being all the way over by the Tobyhanna exit, about 1 mile west of I-380. It's just off 423, much easier to access than the dirt road that lead to the Gouldsboro site.

For me, it ends up being closer to my house. It just might not be completed by the advertised date.
    Oh ok, thanks for the headsup. The original was a nightmare to find so hopefully this will be much better.

(Luzerne County)

Nightmare to find = nice place to shoot.

That was until the weekends, when the bozo's would show up. I liked the range, but never went on the weekends.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by PennsyPlinker View Post
    It's the state. They don't need to be efficient or concerned with customer service. They get paid the same no matter how it works out.
    Not 100% sure but this seems to be a private contractor they hired. Usually, they get paid by the job and can't invoice until the scope of work is completed. Hopefully that incentive will supply some impetus to get it done sooner.

Rode by it again today on bicycle. Didn't seem to be much further along.

Not 100% sure but this seems to be a private contractor they hired. Usually, they get paid by the job and can't invoice until the scope of work is completed. Hopefully that incentive will supply some impetus to get it done sooner.

Rode by it again today on bicycle. Didn't seem to be much further along.
    It probably is a private contractor doing the work, but it is the state that is managing the job.

Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast