A couple days ago I drove by the location of the new Tobyhanna Public Lands Shooting Range that is scheduled to open in "October 2009" according to the Game Commission.

Unless they work a lot of overtime until then I don't think it's going to open on schedule. Basically all they've done is clear and roughly level the land. There's a couple loads of dirt way in the back, only a fraction of what they need. I spoke to the lone worked on site and he said, "there's still a lot to be done," as I could easily see.

I went there to check it out with great hopes it might be almost completed, especially after a trip to Gouldsboro range earlier in the week. I can confirm that the Gouldsboro range is closed. Permanently. The new range in Tobyhanna is replacing it (many of you probably know this already). Too bad, now that it's all cleaned up. Shame they had to close the old range before they opened the new one, poor planning/timing on their part, particularly when hunting season is rapidly approaching.

Anyhow, just reporting what I saw.
PJ