Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Let the EMT training begin!

So yesterday was our first day of EMT training. We are in the "crunch class" which lasts only a month. It was an interesting first day. The instructor was probably the coolest person ever, and we had to leave class early because my truck got impounded! It wasn't a big deal to leave early because they were just doing CPR certifications, which I have. I'm actually suprised at the amount of pople that won't persue a career in EMS after the class. There's 22 people in our class and only 5 of us actually want to be EMT's. The rest are just doing it for college, or fun. One girl wanted to do it "because the EMT's at her college ride in those little golf cart thingies and it looks totally fun!!!!".

That being said, does anybody know any well paying 911/non-911 EMT positions around the state that pay well?

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Let the EMT training begin!

Since you seem to be in the business..

if anybody wanted to take a basic EMT class, just emergency treatment and CPR stuff, do you know where and at what cost this would come to?
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by JustinM View Post
    So yesterday was our first day of EMT training. We are in the "crunch class" which lasts only a month. ...
    Are you saying that you can be an EMT with just one month of training?

I would hope there is a good long on-the-job training program. When I was an EMT--several years ago--we had 4 months intensive training before we could even ride along.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by bubba23 View Post

I would hope there is a good long on-the-job training program. When I was an EMT--several years ago--we had 4 months intensive training before we could even ride along.
    It's based on hours, not length. Really we're probably only learning 20% of what it takes to be an EMT, the rest is learned in the field. There are some longer part-time classes but we want to get into the field ASAP so we elected the crunch class.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by LorDiego01 View Post

if anybody wanted to take a basic EMT class, just emergency treatment and CPR stuff, do you know where and at what cost this would come to?
    Ask MarcS, he's over your way as an EMT and might be able to help.

(Westmoreland County)

I'm actually suprised at the amount of pople that won't persue a career in EMS after the class.
    You couldn't pay me to deal with bums and people with teh AIDSes
    "Because I'm an American." - MtnJack

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by TheHighChild View Post
    You couldn't pay me to deal with bums and people with teh AIDSes

Sarah Silverman:
    If we can put a man on the moon, we can put a man with AIDS on the moon. And pretty soon, we'll be able to put everyone with AIDS on the moon.

So yesterday was our first day of EMT training. We are in the "crunch class" which lasts only a month. It was an interesting first day. The instructor was probably the coolest person ever, and we had to leave class early because my truck got impounded! It wasn't a big deal to leave early because they were just doing CPR certifications, which I have. I'm actually suprised at the amount of pople that won't persue a career in EMS after the class. There's 22 people in our class and only 5 of us actually want to be EMT's. The rest are just doing it for college, or fun. One girl wanted to do it "because the EMT's at her college ride in those little golf cart thingies and it looks totally fun!!!!".

That being said, does anybody know any well paying 911/non-911 EMT positions around the state that pay well?
    Well, Im glad to see you got out of work to take the class. I hope you didnt loose your job over it. Let me just tell you that being an EMT sucks. Low pay and a ton of overtime. I will warn you that a strictly EMERGENCY Service pays less than Transport Services. And just because its a Transport Service doesnt mean you cant get your fair share of emergencys. I work for a transport service part time in West Mifflin that pays pretty well as far as EMTs pay goes. If you would like to talk about it more you can PM me. I know a lot about most of the services around me and I can give you the skinny.

Quote Originally Posted by LorDiego01 View Post

Alright, there are different types of classes you can take for emergency services. First theres a First Responder class. Thats your basic first aid and does get you a CPR certification. Then you have your EMT-B. Which is the basic EMT that trains a little more in the care and treatment of patients. You can also administer and assist with certain meds and they also go over the dangers of these meds. Then theres the EMT-P. We wont even go into what a medic does because I dont think your interested in that. If basic is what your looking for then you should get your First Responder. Info can be found at many different websites. These being a few:

http://www.ccac.edu/default.aspx?id=147630
    http://www.centerem.org/page.php?2
    http://www.emsi.org/

If you call CCAC or the Center for Emergency Medicine, they will give you dates of classes in your area and what the cost would be.

**Edited:**
    Im an idiot. I didnt realize where you were located until after I typed all this crap. If your intrested in a class in your area, it may be wise to check with the local Community College, EMS agency or Fire Department. A call would probably be sufficient. They can direct you to the agency that trains your Medics and First Responders. Hope this helps!

Also just an FYI, if you join your local Fire Department or EMS agency as a volunteer, most services will pay for your training. You will have no out of pocket costs. These Volunteer Departments get grants for this to keep your training up to date.
    Last edited by lvfcfirefighter; June 26th, 2007 at 08:15 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by bubba23 View Post

The PA state curriculum is 136 hours. Most people take this over 3-4 months in a night class. Justin is taking full day classed with 10 hour days several times per week.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by lvfcfirefighter View Post

**Edited:**
    Im an idiot. I didnt realize where you were located until after I typed all this crap. If your intrested in a class in your area, it may be wise to check with the local Community College, EMS agency or Fire Department. A call would probably be sufficient. They can direct you to the agency that trains your Medics and First Responders. Hope this helps!

Also just an FYI, if you join your local Fire Department or EMS agency as a volunteer, most services will pay for your training. You will have no out of pocket costs. These Volunteer Departments get grants for this to keep your training up to date.
    That's ok, some of us westies could use this info too. I don't think you wasted your time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast