13 54.17%
  • Lyman 1200 DPS

5 20.83%
  • PACT Digital Dispenser

6 25.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default Best Digital Powder Dispenser

I am ready to get a digital powder dispenser. I currently weigh virtually every load by hand, so I have decided to go with a digital dispenser to save some time. I am debating between the RCBS chargemaster, the Lyman 1200 DPS (II or III), and the PACT Digital Dispenser.

I am most concerned with speed of dispensing, accuracy (drifting zeroes, etc.), and ease of cleaning out powder (as I reload using many different powders).

If anyone has any specific likes/dislikes about any of the models, please elaborate. Thank you.
    loose≠lose; you're=you are; 'your' shows possession.

Default Re: Best Digital Powder Dispenser

Here's one I can answer! My wife gave me the RCBS for my birthday last year. The only thing I can say bad about it is that it leaves an awful mess when one forgets to close the drain cock before pouring one's powder into the hopper. But that sounds more like operator error than a problem with the machine.

I keep a triple beam scale on the bench, and randomly check charges as I am loading. I have yet to find one off. One of the nice things about it is that it keeps track of how many charges have been dispensed for a particular session.

I have yet to use the memory feature. I just set it up for the charge I want and start loading. It depends on what powder and charge I am using how fast it is. Loading .45 Colt takes longer than .40 S&W, for example, but I am not trying to see how fast I can go. I am loading mainly for fun and to shoot a little more.

If you have any specific questions, I will be glad to try and answer them. I don't have any experience with anything else on your list, so I can't be much help there.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by PennsyPlinker View Post
    Here's one I can answer! My wife gave me the RCBS for my birthday last year. The only thing I can say bad about it is that it leaves an awful mess when one forgets to close the drain cock before pouring one's powder into the hopper. But that sounds more like operator error than a problem with the machine.

I keep a triple beam scale on the bench, and randomly check charges as I am loading. I have yet to find one off. One of the nice things about it is that it keeps track of how many charges have been dispensed for a particular session.

I have yet to use the memory feature. I just set it up for the charge I want and start loading. It depends on what powder and charge I am using how fast it is. Loading .45 Colt takes longer than .40 S&W, for example, but I am not trying to see how fast I can go. I am loading mainly for fun and to shoot a little more.

If you have any specific questions, I will be glad to try and answer them. I don't have any experience with anything else on your list, so I can't be much help there.

I own an Chargemaster setup as well which I use for my target loads in 308 and 22-250. I absolutely love it, and it actually enables me to multi-task while its charging. My buddy uses his for 50 bmg, and when you are dumping 240gr of powder, it does help to "aid" the dispense in the early portion with some hand scooped powder.

I wouldn't trade mine for twice the money

(Lebanon County)

I know your pain on that one! It took a second to figure out why the hopper was not filling up.

The charge master was well worth what I paid for it. I would not give it up to go back to a beam. The dispenser is straight forward, and easy to use. Though when loading small charges between 3 - 4g of powder it can be time consuming ( Not that it can't do this small of a charge, it just takes the unit a little longer ). The charge master really shines when doing anything above 10g of powder. Just remember to close the drain on the side after you are done emptying the hopper .

Brad

I've had the Lyman for a couple of years now, and I put the "speed-up" kit on it(the new ones come setup with it).
    I've never used either of the other two, but I really like the Lyman.
    It emptys out easily, so changing pwders is not bad.
    It also keeps count of the number of charges thrown.
    As for zero drift, it hasn't been a problem.
    You can store a number of loads in it, but I don't use that feature, as I only use it for about 3 loads, and it's easy to punch them in.
    NEVER TRUST A PRIVATE WITH A LOADED WEAPON OR AN OFFICER WITH A MAP

I had a Lyman but the screw kept getting bound by Unique flake powder. I'd have to take it apart, clean it out, and then could dispense a few more (maybe 5) charges before repeating. However, the Lyman dispensed stick powders much faster then...

The RCBS which I replaced it with. The RCBS dispenses (my impression) the stick powders a little bit slower, however I have NEVER had to clean it out because of the flake powder binding it up. I voted the RCBS Chargemaster. Plus, when I figured out how to turn off that horrendous beep when the RCBS was done dispensing the charge, it became my favorite new toy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mootness View Post
    I had a Lyman but the screw kept getting bound by Unique flake powder. I'd have to take it apart, clean it out, and then could dispense a few more (maybe 5) charges before repeating. However, the Lyman dispensed stick powders much faster then...

The RCBS which I replaced it with. The RCBS dispenses (my impression) the stick powders a little bit slower, however I have NEVER had to clean it out because of the flake powder binding it up. I voted the RCBS Chargemaster. Plus, when I figured out how to turn off that horrendous beep when the RCBS was done dispensing the charge, it became my favorite new toy.
    Please tell me, tell me!!! How do you turn off that beep!?!

(Lebanon County)

A hammer.

Brad

Quote Originally Posted by Dextrimental View Post
    A hammer.

Brad
    You know, if I negged you for that, you would have some red squares next to your name.

A google search says to turn off RCBS chargemaster beeping: To turn the annoying beep off, press and hold the "Zero" button, until it shows "Beep Of". To turn it back on, just do it again. (P4 in manual, rt column)"

I haven't reloaded in a long while (primers, I didn't bother to fight to find them, or to buy them now that they are more readily available and nearly double in price.) I am not home anymore (away at school) and so cannot check. If I remember correctly, it remembers not to beep again once you've turned the setting off.

Whatever the answer was, I found it in the instructions that came with it. It makes reloading much more enjoyable.
    Last edited by Mootness; September 12th, 2009 at 11:22 PM. Reason: add statement saying the answer applies to RCBS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast