Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Butler County)

Default How Do You Hunt Coyotes?

I have never had the privilege of hunting these bunny eaters. I would love to see what it would take to help our bunny hunters out. How do you recommend for hunting them?

What kind of gun?
    Time of day
    Can you bait them? If so what?
    What do you do with them when you shoot them? I have always taught my boys you eat what you shoot but never at "dog" before.
    Blind or ground hunting
    Where are some good areas? I have areas on the north side of 2B and the south east corner of 1A.
    Anyone in that area doing it? Feel like training a new guy who loves to hunt?
    Last edited by Lilpig; September 10th, 2009 at 09:31 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: How Do You Hunt Coyotes?

I had NO idea you could hunt coyotes in PA... hell I had no idea Coyotes were IN PA!

Were I not on the other side of the state I'd take you up on your offer of training a new guy.
    Just because 'perfect' is impossible does not mean we should settle for 'broken'.

Howdy lilpig, here's a post I made a long time ago that might give you some things to think about. http://forum.pafoa.org/hunting-23/15...es-page-2.html . It's pretty detailed about a lot of things, but I suppose you could call it only "ground" techniques. In my experience if you're calling to them from a stand, they'll look up and see you and get spooked and run. If you're hunting them from the stand, it'll mainly be that you see them pass by, or bait them in and don't make any noise. I don't know what the laws in PA are about baiting predators, but I imagine that you can since lots of people trap, but others can clarify.

In terms of rifle, you can take anything that you are accurate with. Part of this will depend on what kind of places you are hunting and what some of the common or long shots may be. Out where I hunt there is LOTS of wide open country and we get lots of unknown distance shooting. In that type of environment the flatter shooting cartridges are best. You can get away with less hold, or not quite having your range perfect. Even some of the "barrel burners" like the .22-250 aren't a big deal because you won't be shooting a ton of rounds when you hunt coyotes. I have a .300 WSM that I always carry around, and while it's way too much gun, I know that I can make my hits with it, so it's what I carry. Anything like the .223, .204, .22-250, .243, .270, lol, basically anything. Although the smaller calibers get the job done, and usually cost less to shoot, so you probably want to stick with them.

Most of the rest of the questions that you've asked, I answered in my post. Hope that helps.

(Monroe County)

Something like this...

WAKE UP OR WACO!

(Butler County)

Hey Tomcat088. After I posted my questions I came across yours. It was amazing. Thanks for posting it. Now I have something to go on.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lilpig View Post
    Hey Tomcat088. After I posted my questions I came across yours. It was amazing. Thanks for posting it. Now I have something to go on.
    What? mine didnt help?
    WAKE UP OR WACO!

(Mercer County)

Coyote Hunting has become big in the state of Pa there are seminars, and tournaments all across the state.

http://www.coyotehunter.net/forums/v...php?f=13&t=686

http://www.stmaryssportsmen.org/coyotehunt.htm

This site will help you get started. The guys from out west but a coyote out west is no different than a coyote out east hungry! Lot of same tech. still apply.

http://www.wcp-nm.com/coyotes/

I saw Tom's seminar last year and it was full of great tips if your seriously thinking about learning how to hunt coyotes get his book, video, or go to his seminar. Or give him a call he loves talking coyotes it's his life.

http://www.tombechdel.com/

For seminar information and other products visit www.tombechdel.com. or contact Mr. Bechdel at: P O Box 166, Saegertown, PA 16433 Tel. 814-763-2773 or cell phone 814-573-7255.

Not to far from Butler!

(Luzerne County)

1) Dress and sound like a wounded bunny...
    2) bring a shotgun with #2 or larger mag loads.

note: best results are had at night. Bring a red light.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

Hokkmike Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Strapped View Post
    Something like this...

I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Lilpig View Post
    I have never had the privilege of hunting these bunny eaters. I would love to see what it would take to help our bunny hunters out. How do you recommend for hunting them?

What kind of gun?
    Time of day
    What do you do with them when you shoot them? I have always taught my boys you eat what you shoot but never at "dog" before.
    Blind or ground hunting
    Where are some good areas? I have areas on the north side of 2B and the south east corner of 1A.
    Anyone in that area doing it? Feel like training a new guy who loves to hunt?

This is addicting ... and should you end up entering and winning some of the Coyote Contests, most notably Mosquito Creek you'll get an even bigger urge to hone your skills.

Here's a little readin' if you don't get the magazine .. http://www.furfishgame.com/featured_...ling_03_09.php

One of their writers does a bait similar to what I do with concrete wire to contain the bait, but I can't find the article .. I think it was in one of this years issues.

I also use a turkey call (remote) and decoy and a goose call (remote) and decoy with good success during daylight hours.

What kind of gun? I use a Swift in rifle area or .22 WinMag in Special Regs.
    Time of day ? Whenever I can.
    What do you do with them when you shoot them? Depends on the time of year .. prime or not.
    Blind or ground hunting ? Both, and also tree stand.
    Where are some good areas? I like places where the 'yote has some cover and feels comfy enough to respond to a call, but has a spot or two for an open shot. My turk + goose decoys near ponds are good for me .. I like when the grass is just tall enough that he can barely see the decoy
    " For the left, Freedom IS a Fringe Idea "

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast